5.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't put it down :-), 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Trans-Africa By Motorcycle: A Father's Diary (Kindle Edition)
This book is the sole reason I started riding motorbikes!
I am lucky enough to know the people this book is written about, I read it first while back at Uni, I'm not a big reader at all but Lawrence's writing just captivated me and drew me into the story able to fully picture the scenes and scenarios.
I just couldn't put the book down and when I had finished Gareth took me riding and taught me how! I had a bike weeks later.
Lawrence continues to write short stories of his road trips and I hope he will also be able to share those with you all as after reading this you will be yearning to read more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 1 Feb 2013
I enjoyed the book until I reached the final chapter where I felt the story ended abruptly.possible to permit a second book? This disappointed me as there was certainly more to come

4.0 out of 5 stars A very easy read, well written in diary style, 27 Jan 2014
A well written book detailing the daily challenges of riding long distance through Africa. A good balance between the father son relationship, the bikes and the ride itself. I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a pleasant read, 3 Nov 2013
a nicely written tale about a father and teenage son upping sticks and heading off overland from South Africa for a new life in Wales on Yamaha XT bikes. You get a real flavour for the high and low points of this kind of adventure and you have to admire them for taking it all in their stride. Better than many other overland bike tales I have read. I think it is the relatively low budget, loose plans that make this much more real than some other books and one can empathise with the author as the story unfolds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant book, 9 Sep 2013
A bit cringe worthy lack of cash, experience and mechanical knowledge. But a pleasant read as the content is nicely shared between bikes, travel and mental state.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tale of a great adventure!, 7 Aug 2013
First of all I have to admit to being biased in that motorcycle travels have been a great love of mine. Lawrence recounts his tale perfectly through a diary written at the time and it shows the personal trials he went through at the time. With an 8 year old of my own I can only hope that we may embark ona similar adventure one day and this book has helped to show anything is possible. The book is a great blend of motorcycle related issues and the responsibility of parenting together and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My admiration for the pair of them is extremely high and I can only wonder what Africa was like at the time and also whether a similar route taken in this time would be possible or advised! Well done to you both and thanks for the inspiration!

4.0 out of 5 stars a fascinating and sometimes harrowing read, 6 Aug 2013
A journey into despair and back, via elation and depression. Ultimately uplifting and very satisfying. The XT was always going to be a poor choice, I remember going to France on a nearly new one in the late 70's and stopping very frequently as the oil was boiling in the frame reservoir!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Lawrence & Gareth, 2 Aug 2013
Once you start reading this account of their gruelling trek you find it hard to put it down. A very enjoyable read, you feel as if you are travelling along with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely read, 3 July 2013
Taken straight from his diary entries, without editing. I can imagine him writing it; on bad days entries might be brief but it leaves you imagining all the more how the day went. Enjoying reading it, well worth the purchase price

4.0 out of 5 stars Trans - AFRICA BY MOTORCYCLE, 9 May 2013
4 stars - could have done without the continual god references .............

I would however recommend the book to anyone interested in long distance motorcycling.