4.0 out of 5 stars Most definitely a 'yes'
Published 22 months ago by Craigmeister

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, with reservations
Published 19 months ago by Martynrb

4.0 out of 5 stars Most definitely a 'yes', 1 Mar 2013
I must confess to being a bit sceptical when a friend recommended I read this. It's been ten years & I kind of thought all the best books had come out about this war - and said so. I'm ex-forces and like the genre but not so much I can suffer an average or worse book - esp as I'm normally a slow reader. So I was wrong and I'm big enough to write my penance! The book was excellent on all levels and really swept me into his world and carried me along. Obviously the events/story = v strong & truly edge of the seat stuff but what I think it has over, say Bravo 2 Zero, etc is that the guy can obviously WRITE. It has that writer's need to convey but still maintain the ease of reading - descriptions, characters become real, their motives and why decisions are taken (at all levels, top to bottom - partly helped by the fact that Blakeley was 2IC of the unit AND fighting with his patrol, leading from the front). It's also honest eg the moments of self-doubt and the loneliness of being in charge: as an officer you can't ever quite relax as one of the boys. This honesty is what I found lacking in books like Chris Kyle (RIP)'s account. There's the laugh out loud stuff that I think only ex-service writers can convey. I like Sebastian Faulks but even in WW1 the soldiers were having laughs - it's what bonds and makes a unit great. I actually would have given this 5 stars if the book had been bigger - I've waited this long to hear this story and I felt like I could have done with more, say about his early days. Maybe that wasn't the writer's fault or maybe he's going to do more. I hope the latter. Penance done, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pathfinder: A Special Forces Mission Behind Enemy Lines (Kindle Edition)
Incredible escape, good comrades, good decisions by Chinese parliament. Disappointed by Headshed reaction for air and their take on an operational decisions made on the ground by experienced operators. They should have been put in a pinkish and sent out front. I would wager an entirely different reaction. Well done David and the lads. DON Monro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, with reservations, 24 May 2013
Martynrb (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
Once it gets warmed up, this is a pretty good read. The climactic battle is as exciting as any thriller - but the first half of the book is all planning and background stuff and is only interesting if you are interested in that sort of thing! I certainly agree with another reviewer about the way he goes on about his expensive watch and sunglasses - a couple of (e-book) pages at least on the watch alone! It made him sound like an adolescent fantasist - and in fact the author doesn't come out of the book as well as he perhaps thinks.

Reading between the lines it seems as if there were some doubts within his team regarding his leadership qualities even before the mission. Then, when his team were in a fix, he came up with a plan that could well have got them all killed and which none of the others agreed with - and he had to give way to the majority. Once on their mission they were spotted by someone in a car who actually deliberately mingled in with their convoy, clearly noting their vehicles and manpower, and openly phoning someone as he did it. The author says he couldn't so anything because the man spying on them was dressed as a civilian - but it is a decision (completely ridiculous in a war zone near the front lines to my mind) that nearly got him and all his men killed. I'm no military expert, but in fact I wonder how the whole mission reflects on the British army. (Spoiler alert) A unit that specialises in stealth and silent parachute insertions behind enemy lines, they were refused permission to make an air drop and told to drive through the enemy front line along a main road in un-armoured vehicles - with no air support on standby for when things went wrong! No wonder the Americans couldn't believe it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 27 April 2013
Might sound a bit boys own but this account was very gripping.
All concerned must have been blessed to get through as they did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 18 April 2013
Cover to cover I was fully immersed into the book. Informative and a great combination of humour and intensity throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 6 July 2013
Well written book about a team of special forces I'd never even heard of!

The bravery of these men contrast starkly against the seeming lack of funding and kit our forces all seem to suffer from

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read from cover to cover!, 14 Jun 2012
This book is a great read and had me gripped from start to finish. From the moment the action kicks off it doesn't stop and you get to really visualize what these guys went through and the close calls had me completely on edge! As a reader i tend to dip in and out of books on war, but this is one i would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Oct 2013
This book opens up a new world to all of us. Heartrendering at times and very well written and gives the reader an insight into the forces that we would never know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 22 May 2013
This is a great book with a great look into the Special Forces, keeps you hooked and David Blakeley has written it in great detail. Would recommend..

5.0 out of 5 stars Path finder by David Blakely, 27 Feb 2013
Enjoyed the book very much what the pf finder have to do credit to u all the British army the best