5.0 out of 5 stars A good all round smartphone that looks elegant, performs very well and good value for money.
I owned a Galaxy S which was amazing for two years. It could not cope well with multi tasking or more demanding apps. I got fed up it with it and was looking for a change. I preferred a mobile phone that could perform well but at a decent price. I did quite a bit of research because I am a bit funny about technology which I am not going to rant about.

1)...
Published on 12 Aug. 2012 by bifukawjbmbf

1.0 out of 5 stars sony experia u
ive had this phone for about 5 months now and the truth is that I wanted to smash this phone few times cause it made me so angry but couldn't afford to buy another one and selling it second hand it will cost less than half price. this device was supposed to have a strong processor and good for multitasking, it freezes if 2 or more apps are running at the same time. every...
Published 22 months ago by Al

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution for the smartphone virgin, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sony Xperia U Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Okay, so I'm pretty new to this whole smartphone thing, but having seen my wife tapping away at her Samsung Galaxy while I fiddled for three hours to type out a text message in predictive text, I decided it was time to join the 21st century. I toyed with the Nokia Lumia and other phones in this sort of price range, but being fairly loyal to Sony (Ericsson) phones, and after reading some online reviews, I stuck to what I knew and ordered this. All I can say is I'm blown away - the phone is simple to use and slick, it has a classy display and isn't large and chunky like some others of its kind (it even has a 5MB camera and HD video). The Android OS works really well, and even though my fat fingers sometimes struggle a bit with typing, the highly intuitive system makes up for it (and it's a damn sight better than the Samsung's). There's only 4GB of internal memory and no removable card, but as I'm not planning to store all my stuff or watch movies on the thing, this is more than enough for me. I'm sure there are phones that do a lot more, and no doubt the iPhone has more bells and whistles, but at this price range (in my humble, beginner's opinion) you really can't beat this great little phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Xperia U, 7 Jun. 2012
I've heard the bad and good reviews about this phone, but i got it anyway

1 - because of the price - alot cheaper than the s version
2 - the compact size of the phone and screen size (the xperia s seems abit big for my small hands)
3 - i actually like the end caps

if you are a light user and not bothered about how much (little memory it has), apps hardily use any memory as it is, they are only MB's in size, for movies you can use a usb adapter and add a memory stick to it and have your movies on there rather than loading loads of movies on your phone.

i like the smoothness of the phone itself, very quick at flicking through the settings, the pages etc, picture quality it really good, very bright screen, the sound quality is really good with both the loud speakers and with headphones in.

The end caps are good, i like the pink one has it looks good! (alot of people dont like the pink end cap) but it does come with a black one.

the battery lasts quite abit aswell, i had wifi and data switched on for two days and playing with apps aswel and only used half of the battery. but it does depends of what you are doing and how long you are using the phone.

all in all its a good little phone for the price of it and for what i use it for!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Android phone I've ever had, 4 Aug. 2012
It's fair to say that I've had my fair share of Android phones in the past, including this phone's grandfather, the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. But the Sony Xperia U is by far the very best Android phone I've owned.

My previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy Ace and I'd say that the Xperia U is superior to that phone in just about every respect. The Ace struggled when it attempted to run various applications: Facebook and Instagram ran particularly slowly and it didn't like Angry Birds either. But the Xperia U handles these apps with complete ease.

Secondly - and pretty importantly - the battery life of the Xperia U is the best I've experienced in a smartphone. My old Xperia X10 was crippled by its sub-par battery (sometimes it could barely handle 4 hours of moderate use) and the Galaxy Ace didn't fare much better. But yesterday for example I charged my phone overnight, took it off charge in the morning, used it throughout the day with WiFi and data switched on and by the end of the night it still had 75% battery life remaining.

The whole user experience of the phone also feels really polished. Some manufacturers don't put much thought into building upon or improving the basic Android software or integrating other product families with the phone. But Sony seem to have meticulously modified the look and feel of the software so that it suits the style of the phone and looks great and functions really well. Sony have taken the time to integrate their own software and services into the phone like Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited. And if you have a Sony Smart TV, I'm pretty sure this phone will integrate with that, too. It seems like Sony are really trying to knit their product family together, much like Apple have done, and it results in a much smoother experience for the user. One that 'just works'.

The physical look of the phone is gorgeous. The screen isn't too wide, so it's not a stretch for your thumb to make it from one side of the screen to the other. The screen is however nice and tall. It gives the phone a slender feel even though it's not very thin. But I do prefer a device to feel nice and solid in the hand and the Sony certainly is that. It also has a nice weight to it, not too heavy, but not so light that you feel like it could fly out of your hand. It's just right. One of the most inconvenient things about my Galaxy Ace was its super glossy back, but the Xperia U has a nice, almost matt rubber plastic back. This means that it should take some knocks before any visible scratches appear. And Sony even include a screen protector in the box to keep your (rather responsive) touchscreen nicely unblemished.

But the jewel in the phone's crown is the transparent, light-up bar at the bottom. It might seem gimmicky, but it really gives the phone that 'wow' factor, especially in the dark.

After using this phone, I don't understand why Samsung mobiles are still the most popular Android phones. Sony have done an amazing job with this phone and if this is only the entry-level Xperia handset, I can only assume that the Xperia S must be pretty spectacular. Im so impressed by this phone, I'm already looking to buy some Sony accessories for it including the LiveDock and the SmartWatch and it has made me more interested in other Sony products such as their Walkmans.

If you want a great quality smartphone that gives you loads of bang for your buck, this is it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking phone, 8 April 2013
As this is my first smart phone I cant compare it to all those Galaxys and iPhones. What I can say is that its a good-looking, easy-to-use phone. It came with the typical accessories: charger, USB cable for data transfer, headphones and a pink cap (if you don't like the black one it comes with).
When you connect it to the computer for the first time it will update to Android 4.0. The battery life is decent. I turned the brightness of the display down a bit and have been listening to music with wi-fi on and the battery will still last me just until the next day and maybe just the next morning. There's also a nice little app that allows you to see what is using up the most power and RAM.
The sound quality is good, its not HD but its definitely crisp enough for me. Without the headphones however, its starts sounding a bit trashy at higher volumes.
I've only been using my home wi-fi (15 Mbps with cable) for the phone and its actually fast. I've been browsing reddit and watching youtube vids without a problem, obviously takes longer to open the page but no more than 10 secs in my experience. If you're using the internet a lot non-stop the battery probly won't last you the entire day.
The touch screen is fine, instant response and accurate detection. The screen is a bit small which makes it hard to type, so i usually have to end up rotating the screen for the wider view. This feature can be a bit finnicky and I sometimes have to do repeat the movement once or twice.
You get 4GB of memory available for your use, the downside is there is no micro SD-card slot. You can get the full specs here: [...]

Overall perfect smartphone for me, casual use :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little phone, 26 Feb. 2013
After my HTC gave up on me (great phone, by the way), my search for a new phone commenced. Since I had already given HTC a shot, I wanted something "different". To my surprise, there seemed to be an onslaught of oversized, overpriced phones (my HTC Wildfire S was a perfect size for me). I was never convinced enough to fork out the money for an iPhone, but even Samsung and the rest seemed to be going down the same route - huge phones, huge price tags. After my horrible experience with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance, I knew not to mess with that brand again. I then narrowed my search down to Nokia & Sony. Not being too comfortable with switching over to the Windows platform, I picked up the Sony Xperia U. And boy, am I glad!? Instead of me rambling on in paragraphs, please find the PROS and CONS below.

PROS:

1. Great size! For those wishing to buy tablet-cum-phones, you may X out now. Fits in my hand, fits in my pocket. I'm a female so the phone fitting in my hand matters a lot to me.

2. Excellent, well-lit, sharp, crisp display. Works well under sunlight as well.

3. Bravia engine (enough said).

4. Super fast, dual core processor.

5. Smooth browsing, responsive to apps (I use Facebook, Linkedin, Gmail, and Viber).

6. Great battery life and choice of customisation. LED bar looks good!

CONS:

My only and ONLY complaint with this phone is that it demands strong wifi signals for proper internet browsing. In contrast, my HTC picked up signals and browsed well even at 2 bars. I think this is something that is common in all Sony products. I own a PlayStation 3, which I connect wirelessly to play online. For months, I wondered why it wouldn't connect to PlayStation network properly considering all other devices in the house connected to the internet just fine. After moving the router to the same room where the PS3 was placed, it started working like a charm! I then realized that the PlayStation demanded strong signals to go online. Xperia U seems to have the same issue.

I sincerely hope this phone lasts (I'll try to continue to update this review). So far, I've been ripping it apart and it's not letting me down at all. I haven't updated to Icecream Sandwich because frankly, it works perfect with Gingerbread and I don't see why anyone would need to update. Highly recommended! By the way, this is one of the few Sony phones which even got excellent reviews from critics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entry level smartphone that punches well above it's weight., 11 July 2012
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Got one of these for the missus, and had a few hours to try it out whilst setting it up for her.

I must say I was REALLY impressed. It's a fantastic phone for the price. Dual-core, and it's really snappy to use. It's currently running Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread), but due an Android 4 update later this year, so it pretty well future-proofed for the price too. Not that it really matters, as Android 2.3 runs pretty much all the Android apps on the market (as you would expect, as it's currently by far the most common Android version).

What surprised me, was that it even included a front facing camera for video chat, something that's usually left to the Mid and high end Android handsets...

The rear facing camera is pretty good for the price, 5MP, with a flash, and it takes pretty good pictures too, the GPS locked on really solidly (nearly as good as my Xperia Arc S, which has I believe the best GPS going, it locks on, even inside...).

I really liked the LED bar, which glows whatever colour you set the phones theme to, and even changes colour to match the album art whilst playing music. Sounds like a gimmick, but it's VERY nice. It leaves a classy impression. The end caps are changeable, there was a black and a pink one in the box.

There are of course some limitations. No expandable storage fixed at 4GB, but that should be fine for most people that this phone is aimed at. Some of the included apps are a bit naff, but most of the naff ones can be uninstalled. I also hated the included picture gallery app, which really is poor. Fortunately QuickPic is only an install away from the marketplace, and runs very well on this phone.

After looking at what's available currently at this pricepoint, it's really hard to beat this phone. I would go as far as saying it's the best phone going at this price currently, and sets the bar very high to beat... Obviously up from here, there is the Xperia P, and then the Xperia S. Sony have set their product range up very nicely.

My missus already loves the phone, and because I suggested it, i'm in the good books.... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I ever had, 10 Mar. 2013
After suffering with my crapberry curve 9360 for a little over a year I was so desperate to get a new phone before my contract was up that I decided to purchase a sim-free one from amazon. Initially I was thinking of getting the s3 mini, but thank god I chose the xperia for £100 less. Very fast, good build quality, awesome screen, awesome colours, decent battery life and thousands of apps to download from the android store. You can also download podcasts, music and video directly from your pc through wifi, ie without plugging your phone into the usb socket. You can do this by downloading the mediago program from sony for free. Mediago can be set to feed directly what you download from itunes onto your mobile. Awesome. Beware not to upgrade to the latest android edition though, as I have read from some other reviewers that it can ruin this phone by slowing it down or causing other problems. One last thing; I don't see the point in getting a gel or back cover for this phone as you can purchase directly a genuine new battery cover from ebay for £5-6. The battery cover is made up of nice rubbery material so should be hard to scratch at any rate. Add to the replacable battery cover the cheap genuine replacement battery you can buy online, and you have a phone that with sufficient care should last you for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a phone expert, 23 Nov. 2012
Bought this about a week ago after my previous phone broke. I hate buying new phones as there are so many to choose from; I wanted one which could do a bit more than just call/text but not for stupid money. I initially looked at an Experia Go, but swapped to this one because it was cheaper and at the time had better overall reviews, of which the only negative ones sounded like things which wouldn't bother me much.

When first received I found it small and texting awkward (I was used to a much bigger Nokia N900 which has a slide out keyboard) but have since gotten used to manouvering my sausage fingers around the screen and it is not too much of a problem now. The touch screen is a huge improvement compared to my previous and is generally very accurate. My only slight complaints with the phone as a whole are;

1) The right hand screen edge is not as responsive as the rest of the screen. Not sure if I've got a slightly dodgy one or it is across the brand... either way it is only noticeable when playing certain games so not a major problem.

2) I would have preferred a manual to the couple of introductory leaflets received, as I don't know what all of the pre-installed programs do... realistically, I could probably google that though if I was that bothered.

So all in all, even with those two points above I am extremely happy with my new phone. Depending on how it responds to general wear and tear I will certainly be looking to Sony in the future. For the price it's an absolute bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this phone..., 6 Sept. 2012
I must confess I always like Sony products because it's reliable and the quality is always good. After checking around the internet to see which android phone is the right one for me, I decided to settle for the Sony Xperia U. The reason being is because the price is actually quite cheap considering it's an android phone and what it offers. After using it for about a month, I still have no problems with the phone and I do not regret buying it.

In the box you'll get a plastic film to protect the screen, a pink plastic changeable case for the bottom, USB charger along with a socket-USB plug if you choose to not charge your phone via a computer or laptop and headphones.

One thing I am a bit concerned is the changeable bottom plastic case (the pink or black case which sits beneath the light strip) which can be quite tight. This sort of held me back from yanking it violently off in case I break the phone to change the case if I wanted to swap for the pink one, but that's just a psychological thing. It hasn't phased me out though since I prefer the black case anyways.

1.0 out of 5 stars In all honesty the worst phone I have ever owned., 28 Dec. 2013
I'm not just saying this is the worst phone I have ever owned, it really is. I had put up with it for 12 months, I must be a saint to have stood it for that long. I was in the market for an entry level smartphone but with lots of features and Android OS. What drew me to this phone was it's great design, low cost and according to everything I read, fully upgradable to the latest Android OS.

It was great out of the box, everything I thought I needed. However, as I used the phone (I'm only a very light user too) over the next 12 months and updated as and when required it became increasingly unstable. First to go was the speed, even simple tasks became a nightmare. Games like Angry Birds would frequently freeze. Phone calls took upwards of 10 seconds to answer, hence lots of embarrassment when I'm saying "Hello? Hello?" while my phone continues to ring. The person on the other end could hear this too by the way, I just couldn't hear them until the handset caught up finally realised I had accepted the call. WiFi would stop working for no discernible reason, requiring to power off and on the phone to get it to work again. Eventually, the WiFi would drop out each day whenever it felt like. At 8 months the battery would suddenly die when it was supposedly above 50% charge. When making phone calls, I would press the call button but nothing would happen, so the instinct is to press it again - half a minute later cue the phone calling that contact several times in quick succession every time I hung up. Sheer infuriating madness.

I ended up with a complete waste of money, unusable phone. After 12 months it still looked like new, I'd used it so little, it became habit just to leave the awful thing at home to save the hassle of it. I almost felt guilty recycling it as a "working" phone. I have upgraded to a Moto G and the difference is literally staggering even though it sells at the same price as the Xperia U did a year ago. Since Sony considered this phone suitable for sale, I'm extremely wary of ever buying another Sony phone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›