5.0 out of 5 stars 5star
Published on 26 July 2012 by UKAndy

Published on 1 Aug 2012 by Ian Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars 5star, 26 July 2012
After much research regarding gps sports watches, I decided to go for the Suunto Ambit. I wanted to use it as an 'everyday watch' whilst also being able to log my training sessions. It's very easy to use, and looks more like a "normal watch" than it's rivals, ie the garmin 410 / 610. The overall battery life is documented to be better than garmin to, although I have not used it long enough to comment on that yet. Yes, garmin do have the fenix coming out in the autumn, which will be a more direct comparison to the ambit, but aesthetically, I believe the ambit is far better.
I've just got to get those moves uploaded to movescount, suunto's activity log site.

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially very impressed but beware Suunto planned obsolescence, 1 Aug 2012
Ian Townsend (UK) - See all my reviews
My original review is below, and I still believe the Ambit 1 is a great device. However, I am concerned that Suunto is using a planned obsolescence strategy to generate business and I have downgraded my rating to reflect this. I do not mind paying a premium price for a premium product. I understand if technology companies introduce new and updated products. However, I expect to get more than one year of use out of a 300 sports watch before it becomes obsolete.
It is now clear, with the launch of the Ambit 2, that the Ambit 1 was a beta test model, and early adopters merely guinea pigs whose Movescount data helped develop Ambit 2.
With the launch of Ambit 2, Suunto said it will not offer further Ambit 1 upgrades. This is similar to the way Suunto stopped software support for the X6HR and the training manager software for the T6c. I find this unacceptable, and it may persuade me to try another brand when I do replace my Ambit. I will certainly not rush out to buy an Ambit 2 unless Suunto gives Ambit 1 users a discount to "trade in".

Although my Ambit is less than one year old, I have had some reliability issues.
My heart rate signal was frequently "lost" by my Ambit for short periods, although the same HR belt worked perfectly with my old T6c. I could not get any support from Suunto or Amazon's sub supplier to solve this problem.
The 2 year old dual belt did eventually fail. It just stopped transmitting any signal that could be detected by any Suunto watch. I replaced it with a new one. It connected immediately with my Ambit, but the heart rate jumps from 55 to 160 immediately I start jogging, but then returns to normal values after about three minutes. I can not get the new dual HR belt to pair with my old T6c at all.
Today, one of the Ambit strap screws broke. It seems to have sheared off in the body of the Ambit. I have read on the web that this is quite a common problem.

Original Review.
I have used Suunto products for years and have been very satisfied with all of them. I bought the Ambit as a replacement for my X6HR and T6c.
I am really impressed. Although it initially looks complex, once connected to Suunto's Movescount the Ambit is simple to customise to personal needs. The button functions are inevitably different to my other Suunto devices, but after a couple of uses it becomes simple and intuitive. The dual belt from my T6c paired immediately with the Ambit, and GPS and compass were easily calibrated.
It looks good, and it has a very reassuring solid feel. It is a high quality product.
The exercise data logging, navigation, compass and altitude measurement have all worked perfectly, although there are slight differences with the T6c+GPS pod when I ran a direct comparison. Perhaps the memory could be bigger to allow more than three routes to be loaded to the watch.
The data have uploaded easily to Movescount, although transfer takes much longer than from the T6c. I find Movescount really good, but of course you need Internet access to use it.
Internet access is one of the Ambit's weaknesses. You really need Internet access to synchronise exercise data and routes between Ambit and Movescount. Ambit is described as "The GPS for Explorers", which is only true if you have Internet access in remote locations, and a power supply to charge the battery. In this respect the T6c is better as the replaceable battery can be changed quickly.
The second disadvantage of the Ambit is that currently it will not share data with Suunto Training Manager or Firstbeat software that I have been using for years, and would like to continue using in parallel to Movescount. I am often in places without Internet access and i would still like to transfer the data from my watch.
The Ambit is a brilliant device. I would like to give it five stars, but the need for Internet access and power supply are limitations for "explorers".

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPs watch, 11 Jan 2013
Great GPS

Excellent satellite pick up - usually less than 15 seconds

Once configured it's very accurate and easy to use

5.0 out of 5 stars Suunto Ambit, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Suunto Ambit GPS Speed & Distance Outdoor Sports Watch (Sports)
Fantastic watch. Takes an Internet search (YouTube reviews are best) and some practice to learn how to use the watch fully. Once you've got the hang of it, then the watch comes into its own. Planning routes, navigation, linking to Facebook and Flickr it creates your own blog. Also using it becomes addictive, you just want to carry on and record you next move, my exercise has increased a lot since owning the watch. I didn't buy the heart monitor which I am glad, as I have enough information to get obsessive about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally what I've been looking for..., 28 Sep 2012
I love Suuntu watches, but always thought that a practical and accurate altimeter was never going to happen in a watch, combined with accurate and usable GPS, and also a digital compass that actually works! But, finally that has become a reality. And even with a decent battery life.. Amazing.
Only tried it out a few times so far, but at the moment it surpasses all others I have used and has not let me down. Very happy indeed. It is pricey, but you deffo get your money's worth. It looks fine to me and sits comfortably enough that I forget about it after a while. Happy to use it on a day to day basis. And love the USB charging...simply genius...Thanks Suuntu for finally making the watch of my dreams..

5.0 out of 5 stars At last one watch that does everything, 2 Jun 2013
I had been after a watch that I could use for 'normal'daily wear but, also one that would suit the requirements of both my work and sports activities. This Suunto finally does it all. I have had both Suunto and Harmon watches in the past but this is by far the best model so far. It has a decent time between charging, intuitive menu navigation and all the features I need. The addition of apps and the ability to have the compass in mils complete the package. I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Training companion, 4 Feb 2013
I've had heart rate monitors in the past, but none of them have compared to this. The accuracy of the time, distance,heart rate, altimeter, and calories are all superb! The ease of transferring info and recharging all good. In all just the perfect training companion!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sunnto Mens Watch, 13 Jan 2014
Gary Mooney (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great Watch - filled with very useable functions

Downside - fairly bulky , poor watch strap , poor battery life (constantly requires charging)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this gear!, 14 May 2012
So far, I love this watch!
Although it's a bit ticker than its alternatives like, for ex. FR910, it surprisingly fit quite well on my wrist.
One of the key attributes I've chosen it, preferably, was its 50 hours GPS mode but I was a bit frustrated when I've tried it indoor and it lasted about 17 or 18 hours only!?!
From suunto support told me that it has nothing to do with GPS coverage and it shall, neverthiless, last for 50 hours, hence I have to send it to the service.
Lukily, when I tried its 50 hour GPS mode (aka. 60s GPS fix) It took much longer, approximatelly 35 and more hours, so I decided the guys from the support have just been mesleaded or something.

As a conlusion, It seems I am not going to regret for my choice of pickin up Suunto Ambit :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 11 Feb 2013
I bought for my son and he is very happy with his new clock. We recommend Suunto for all. Thanks.

Suunto Men's Watch SS018372000