on 17 August 2012
Have a large HD Samsung TV and had a 3 year old DVD home cinema system with it. Then the DVD player stopped working and no air spraying or anything would work. So we faced a sizeable repair to replace the DVD or upgrade. Decided to upgrade to a Blue Ray/DVD with this unit having looked at many options (ALL Samsung as I am very impressed with their gear) Ordered yesterday, arrived today, dismantled old one and set up new in under 2 hours INCLUDING linking to home wireless network and to the Samsung SWA-5000 Wireless Rear Speaker Adaptor kit. VERY happy I made the upgrade - picture is better, sound is better, features FAR better, and rear surround sound works better then the old wired ones did !! On screen set up and menus easy to navigate and can even direct plug in my USB drive with my recorded TV programs to watch.

Highly recommend
on 23 May 2012
Although I am fairly techy and have set up home cinema before, I was very surprised how easy this system went together. I also bought the the wireless adaptor for the rear speakers. My wife does not want the living room looking like NASA, so the small speakers not only look good but sound fantastic.
The wireless reciever is a breeze, connect the rear speakers, insert the tranmitter card into a slot in the main unit , plug in the reciever and boom its done. I used HDMI leads throughout. One from a Samsung LCD TV to the the main unit and one from my Sky HD box to the main unit, just 2 leads! There are NO LEADS SUPPLIED. There is a spare HDMI input for a PS3 as a bonus. This system improved the picture on the TV, it made the LCD look more like my big Samsung plasma, better blacks and clearer picture.

The set up is simple, if you have a wireless router have your password key on hand as this box connects straight to the router during set up, wirelessly, and updates the software. It also allow access to web media, like Facebook. I have not explored this yet but it seems that this system turns your TV into an internet portal wirelessly as a bonus. I played TinTin and Prince of Persia in Blue Ray the picture and sound was great, I've garnered loads of brownie points sorting this for the wife, she loves it. This is a girlie sort of system, discreet. Not NASA.

My only gripe is that Samsung has not included microphone calibration for speaker outputs, if this was in I'm sure it would be top of the tree. That said its a great bit of kit, even for non geeks. I would buy the wireless box too, if you can, its worth the lack of hassle, no wires from the main unit around the skirting and no liftng the carpet! Shame on you Samsung for not providing 2 HDMI leads, thats poor, so no 5 stars.
2020 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2013
I've had this home cinema for four weeks now and I'm really happy with it. I spent a long time researching similar systems for my Samsung D6530 TV -- in particular the Samsung HT-E4500 -- but I settled on this one because of its built-in Wi-Fi. I wanted a system that represented both quality and value-for-money and I believe I found it.

First of all, it was very easy to install; colour-coded plugs mean that there's no need to remember which wire belongs to which speaker. I managed to set it up in just over an hour, although I'm sure it could be done faster if you're not too fussed about the position of the speakers. There are two HDMI inputs in the back of the home cinema for your cable box/games console which makes setup a breeze. Things just work.

Once it was up and running the sound was great. The clarity was very good with a clean, deep bass from the subwoofer. During the setup I connected my iPhone to the dock provided with the home cinema (pre-iPhone 5 connector) and, again, the clarity was excellent. It also has a built-in bluetooth receiver if, like me, you're too lazy to plug your iPhone into the dock on the other side of the room and you want to listen to music. I noticed that bluetooth does have the occasional hiccup with signal but I'm unsure if this is the home cinema or the iPhone. Nothing major to worry about, though.

Blu-rays play very nicely, indeed. Both the picture quality and surround sound are superb. It definitely adds another dimension to movies. Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to watch one all the way through yet, though.

I've also connected a 500GB external USB hard drive to it to watch a few home videos (.AVI/DIVX) which was a very easy process; plug in the HDD, use "All-Share Play" and navigate your drive to find the video. It even remembers where you left off if you stop a video half way. Both the video quality and sound quality were great and I didn't need to download any codecs to play the them.

Finally, watching TV through my Sky+HD setup is very good. There were some small lip-syncing issues at first but there are settings available to correct it (up to 300ms difference). You can activate the rear speakers when watching TV to give a faux-surround effect if required, which offers great immersion during sports events and when listening to music.

Overall, I would highly recommend this home cinema if, like me, you want a system that represents good value-for-money and doesn't compromise on performance.

P.S. don't pay over £280 for it; Amazon prices have fluctuated massively since I started keeping my eye on it, ranging from £270-350. Just wait a few weeks and the price will eventually come down again.
on 26 November 2012
I am an avid home cinema fan of many years and have had many systems and components in my home over the past 20years but I work away from home a lot and decided to get a small one box set up for the room I stay in. Looked at and listened to most kit in the general price bracket and can honestly say that this is very pleasing in every area. The set up is simple with QuickStart guides and the variety of connection methods and inputs is first class. Connected to net and found the network quickly via a samsung web enabled tv(rj45socket) samsung web interface probably the best looking around at the moment. I have spotify running via the Bluetooth connection from my iPad,works a treat and a hard drive connected via the front USB (a rear USB would have been neater ) reads most movie and music files with ease. Also I'm using a wireless keyboard for the web feature, it works ok. The sound is decent and with good bass via the sub, and clear dialog from the front and centre.the surround is ok for what it is and overall fills the room nicely. All in all a great little system with ease of use and set up and great value on amazon at the moment
on 29 October 2012
After extensive searching i decided upon this surround sound system for my projector set up, i tried out many different systems and this performed the best in my budget.
I also bought the wireless speaker in addition.

In this budget it is a great set up and easy to install.
on 23 October 2012
I was a home theatre virgin prior to purchasing this system - so I can't compare it to any others I've used/seen - only give a review of its good & bad points.

One of the best features of it, which isn't listed in the whole write-up on Amazon - is that it has a separate iPod dock! Quite why this significant selling-point isn't mentioned I have no idea. It works brilliantly - either through the dock, or you can plug your iPod directly into the USB port on the front.

The build quality is obviously very good as it's Samsung. The speakers are heavy and VERY powerful. Sound does not distort however loud you go (as with Bose which I'd seen in an electrical store).

The WI-FI is another top feature. If you're on a WI-FI system for your PC at home then this will (without the need for any dongles etc.) pick up ALL files on your PC / laptop etc. and play them through the TV - even if they aren't playing on the device on which they're saved.

All movie types play automatically from a USB stick also - when placed in the front of the player.

The blu-ray player is very good too. Only negative point I can think of is that when the player isn't playing the disc makes a grumbling noise - as if trying to play.

It up-scales DVDs well.

Overall, for less than £290, this is quite simply an awesome piece of kit!!!
on 30 December 2012
Yes like other reviews the quality of sound is incredible I'm no audiophile but the surround sound is something to behold particularly when playing Blu-ray Discs with accurate setting of speakers the audio is amazing. watched Battleship last night and the sound effects just shake the room. Set up is simple enough and having purchased the wireless connection for the surround speakers reduces the clutter in the room. The Wifi facility simple enough introduces the smart hub which seems OK but yet to explore further it includes Apps from Samsung ie Facebook BBC I player amongst others. An iPod dock dock included as well to play through the system. All share looks interesting facility were you can access files from your computer to play through your system. Beware lengthy downloads when you first connect to the Internet as it updates software and Apps to the product. Configuring the various audio options for what you're listening to takes some getting use to, as you don't always need surround sound such as I'm now listening to the live match on Sky and the live commentary is somewhat drowned out by the surround audio i.e. crowd ambience etc, but I'll figure that out in due course. Over all a great purchase and worth e money, oh and of course Amazons service I ordered on Boxing Day and asked for next day delivery and got it and the remote receiver on Friday delivered by two separate vans. I'd recommend to others
on 28 February 2013
Read all the reviews before buying and hesitated due to comments about sound quality being poor - some say to hear speach volume needs to be turned up then when people stop talking it is way too loud. As I suspected this is simply a case of turning down the subwoofer and there is a helpful button (S/W) on the remote that makes this very easy if required. Speed of You Tube and accessing files on external HDD via USB a lot quicker than I expected from some of the reviews. Set up was very straightforward though I couldn't initially get sound when watching TV directly or through digibox - all I had to do was scroll through the sources using the button at top of remote to find the right input...d'oh! Only minor gripe is that the speakers are a bit bigger than I expected but look OK next, even next to modest 37" Samsung TV. I'm glad I bought this and wish I hadn't wasted a week worrying about some of the other feedback that was causing me some anxiety!
on 28 November 2012
Very easy to install, connects quickly to wifi with no problems, picture quality is excellent and the surround sound is fantastic! The speakers are not too big and it looks and works super with my Samsung smart t.v.
on 10 March 2013
Bought this to replace a Sony unit which failed. Firstly it looks good. Everything is very shiny though so beware finger prints and scratches. The sub is compact and was easy to hide away.

Set up was easy though the manual isnt as structured as it could be. All the speakers are colour coded making it easy to connect. The menu system is clear and matches that on my Samsung LED though it differs from the manual once you have updated the software.

Compared to the Sony, the sound is better. More Bass and better surround sound. The blu ray though is a little slow from inserting the disc to the contents appearing.

As this was paired with a Samsung TV many settings were automatically found using their BD Wise function. Turning off the TV also turns this unit off. I mainly use it for Sky HD and found the best set up was to connect the Sky HD box to the TV with HDMI then use an optical cable from Sky HD straight to this unit. When Digital Input is set to auto the unit reognises its got both an hd and optical input and switches to the digital input setting. Be aware if you only connect Ky with a hdmi cable you wont get Dolby sound, just stereo. There are codes online to use your Sky remote to switch this unit on rather than using its own remote control.