5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book
This is an incredible book. It does exactly what the author says it does - gives us a glimpse into the world of what it is like to be a doctor who is suddenly a patient. For all those involved in caring for patients, it's immensely valuable to realise what it's like for patients who hear our words and experience the care that's provided.
It's also very well written -...
Published on 20 Mar 2012 by newreviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars sad but true
it is a sad but true story and what a strong lady to return to work and consider helping others when she is terminally ill.
Published 19 months ago by eileen

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
It's also very well written - I couldn't stop reading it and finished the book within a couple of hours. It's very, very sad in places - but also funny in places and I put it down feeling a huge amount of respect for the author - Kate must be a remarkable person, and, without sounding too corny, it is inspirational.
For those who aren't medical, I still think it would be well worth reading - and there is a glossary to help with the jargon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and uncompromisingly honest, 21 Mar 2012
Dr. Sarah Jordan (Co Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
This has been written by a doctor for other doctors. There is a glossary at the back but without the 'lingo' you might find it a little tricky to understand what's going on. It is the story of Kate's battle with a rare form of cancer and also her battle to retain a sense of control over what happens to her. It is very well written indeed and the style is uncompromisingly honest. It is a very moving story.

Kate has been very brave in telling this story. It is quite a tough read. As a fellow medic, I am afraid I recognise things I have done in the actions of some of the medical staff Kate encounters. The standards she expects are quite rightly high and are not infrequently disappointed. We often excuse these things in our own working lives as a consequence of workload, shift patterns or unreasonable expectations on the part of patients. Of course we will never be perfect and providing really good care and communication to all our patients is an almost impossible task. What really came across to me was how much of a difference getting it right makes and the harm you can cause getting it wrong. This book will change attitudes in everyone who reads it. I am sure it will improve me as a doctor and a human being. So thank you Kate.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute ....inspirational ...from the heart read ...., 26 July 2012
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as I was very lucky to be cared for in hospital by this lovely Doctor ....Kate has written this ...from her heart and shared this sad ...scary...journey with us to help others .Being both a patient and a member of nursingstaff myself I feel it is a must read for a all medical/nursing staff ....we all need to know what it is like to be "On the other side " how it feels to be scared ...feel lonely ...go through test after test ....procedure after procedure...If we are lucky enough to not experience this ourselves then I highly recommend this book ...however even if we have I still recommend it as Kate has been brave enough to share her story and take the time to do so ...even when her time here is limited.
It can hopefully help nursing /medical staff to become better as our vocation ....give that "extra little bit " that can make such a difference to to a patient .
"The other side" is written with such honesty .....very frank ...to the point but also is a sensitive way ...which I feel shows us so much about the author ....Her personality .....The glossary of medical terms at the back I think is very useful .
All in all an excellent read .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
This book is very moving, giving a glimpse into life of the doctor whose life is turned upside down by a diagnosis of a rare and aggressive form of cancer. I heartily commend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
This is such a sad book. A young doctor in the prime of life has her life turned upside down when she is diagnosed with cancer. Kate Granger writes about her diagnosis and treatment in hospital in technical terms, but she notes early on that her aim in writing the book is not to merely tell her story - she wants to other doctors and medical workers to find out how it feels to be on the 'other side', the receiving end of treatment. Kate has done a wonderful thing in putting down the worst weeks and months of her life on paper for others to read and learn from. Well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars sad but true, 9 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational read, 26 July 2012
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
This book is an inspirational read. Truly brilliantly written by a doctor who has been on both sides of the hospital bed. The aim of this book was to inspire and challenge the thinking of doctors in the way that they treat and communicate with patients.
The book is written by a courageous, inspiring, hardworking and loyal doctor and the book has already touched the hearts of many and raised a considerable amount of money for charity.

Looking forward to the sequel....

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
As both a doctor and occasional patient, I found that I could not put this book down and read both of her books in a single afternoon.

She stated once that she did not feel that she was the best of writers, which is the only time I found myself disagreeing with her. Both of these books are very well written and I found myself completely engrossed in the story, sharing her victories, fears and difficulties as though they were happening to a very close friend or even family member.

I downloaded the book after seeing it recommended as essential reading before becoming a med reg. And I do have to agree. If you want to be a doctor, nurse or any healthcare professional, you need to have this read before you meet your first patient. And then probably several more times as you learn more and more so as you can continued to be reminded that the patient comes first and exactly what this means.

My medical school was fairly good at conveying the patient experience. I feel as if I was helped even more by my own experience with hospitals but this book did more in that afternoon than my five years in med school ever could have hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving 'must read' for health professionals and others, thank you Kate, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time ive been motivated to write a review
Ive just finished The OtherSide by Kate Granger
A great read to learn about a doctor's experience as a cancer patient
This book has been on my list for a long time, since seeing it mentioned on twitter. I decided to buy and read as Kate was upset by a critical review, and also hearing that you were coming to N Wales, even though i coulnt get to see you. Thank you Kate for writing this. How tough life can be comes over very well. We can all learn about what it feels from your experiences, very useful for health professionals and others alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Story, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Other Side (Kindle Edition)
A very moving and realistic story. It is well written with a great deal of medical terminology but well explained.

The Other Side