4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but dreadful sound
Very light and thin, due to the LED backlight system.

Good image: I set Main Menu > Picture > Viewing > Dynamic, for the quality that suited me.

Published on 1 July 2012 by Stevekir

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent picture; dreadful sound
Published on 6 July 2012 by David Houghton

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but dreadful sound, 1 July 2012
Very light and thin, due to the LED backlight system.

No manual is available for download yet (the model is new for 2012). Lots of sockets for HDMI 1, HDMI 2, AV1, AV2, Digital Audio Output, Multipin PC Socket, Aerial Socket, Common Interface (that's for Pay TV), Ethernet, Headphone (3.5mm socket) , USB (for a memory stick to show pictures and multimedia). Buttons on the side for Volume, Channel, Menu, Input Selection, Power on/off. There is a remote control. One full Scart socket. Video sockets (RCA x 3), Audio sockets (RCA x 2). Audio Digital Output. The TV can be hung on a wall (extra item needed).

Automatic Tuning of course. Lots of adjustable settings for Picture (Colour, Sharpness, Tint, Colour Balance, and others), Sound (Bass, Treble, Surround etc, and Headphone Volume). Standby power consumption is 0.3 W.

Now for the sound quality. Its DREADFUL! It sounds like a bad telephone line, very tinny and annoying to listen to even for speech. As for music.....@%$* . The adjustments have no effect. Its loudspeaker is 27 mm in size !! The supplier said that all LED TVs now had tinny sound. This is because the LEDs used for the backlight (LCDs are still being used for the image) take up much less thickness than the older fluorescent lights and all manufacturers (including Sony I was told) are now captilalising on the opportunity to make the sets very thin. There is only a small space for a loudspeaker. I was thinking of sending it back, but there seems to be no TV available now with good sound, even the bigger ones (I was told). That being so, I have just bought a Creative Inspire T3130 Speaker System from Amazon (29.22 delivered). I will plug this into the headphone socket. (This idea seems to work because I have tested it with my similar (but much more expensive) Bose setup.

===EDITED BY REVIEWER: Jan 2013. The Creative Inspire sound system is excellent. The quality of the sound is above the average of those older sets that came with good sound built in. (The only disadvantage is that the volume control is in a little box on the end of a cable, which is a bit inconvenient, rather than in the remote control.)===

But BEWARE concerning HD. This TV has 768 pixels in the vertical direction. It will display an HD broadcast transmission but not at full HD. "HD Ready" simply means that a set is capable of accepting an HD signal. It will display it at Standard Definition. You need 1080 vertical pixels for the full HD effect. (HD is not for me. A good image, as you get from Panasonic) is 95% indistinguishable from HD.)

Conclusion: If you can bear the tinny sound, buy it - its otherwise up to Panasonic standards - but consider an external sound set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent picture; dreadful sound, 6 July 2012
David Houghton (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
I chose this TV for my son's bedroom because it is the replacement for the What Hi-Fi award winning Panasonic TX-L24E3. Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. The picture quality from both DVD and Freeview HD is very good (although not quite as sharp as I expected), but that from standard Freeview is only average, with noticeably poor motion control. The menus are fairly easy to navigate (which is just as well because the User Manual is very rudimentary) but tweaking options are extremely limited. I was pleased to find that the TV guide was not the expected, and much derided, Gemstar GUIDEplus+ that Panasonic sees fit to inflict upon its customers. The Freeview Guide provided is clear and informative, though it only displays six programme lines at a time. Curiously you cannot page up or down, either with the Channel up/down key (which simply performs the same function as the cursor arrows) or with the Colour buttons. Nor have I been able to work out how to remove unwanted channels from the Guide, or how to programme more than seven channels into the Favourites list.

However, as other reviewers have pointed out, the major failing of this TV is its sound quality. This is absolutely dire, and whilst I accept that the sound from flat screen TVs (particularly small ones) is inevitably compromised by the lack of space for decent speakers, the output from this TV is the worst I have ever heard, and falls well below the standard expected from a top manufacturer. Indeed, it is significantly worse than the 19" Tevion TV (from Aldi) that it replaced. Adjusting the sound settings produces no improvement - for instance moving the bass control from minimum to maximum makes almost no audible difference simply because bass (and indeed much mid-range) is non-existent in the first place. The best option is to output the TV sound to a separate music system if one is available, or to add computer type external speakers. Digital audio can be output down a Toslink lead from the `Digital Audio Out' socket, provided that the receiving system has a suitable optical digital input socket (although this is unlikely to be found on most mini systems, iPod docks, computer speakers, etc.). Analogue audio can only be taken from the headphone socket on the side of the TV, as no phono audio output sockets are provided. Using the headphone socket will automatically mute the TV's internal speakers (which might or might not be useful), however the headphone volume is pre-set using the Sound menu and cannot be adjusted with the Volume control on the TV remote.

If you want a Full HD (1080p) TV that is smaller than 32" then your choice is extremely limited at the moment. This TV fits the bill, but I would be reluctant to recommend it unless sound quality is very low on your list of priorities, or you are prepared to spend some time connecting it to an external sound system.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dreadful sound, 31 Aug 2012
Imagine you have just spent about 200 on a new flat screen TV. The picture is great, but you are listening to what appears to be a 1960's mono transistor radio. This is not sound being 'different', this is sound being of an appalling inferior quality. I've tried to ignore, it, but I can't. The laughable audio controls don't affect the sound one bit (aside from the balance). Do manufacturers really believe that we are so desperate to shave a cm or so off the thickness of our TVs that we will put up with this rubbish? I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not; sometimes I have to strain to hear what is being said.

I have a large Panasonic Viera which I am very happy with - but this is a sore disappointment. And I don't see why I should fork out more cash for a separate sound system to make it listenable.

Back it goes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good after all!, 28 Jun 2012
I purchased the new TX-L24X5B a couple of days ago to replace my older Sony set so I could get Freeview HD. Although I am reasonably happy with the quality of the display, the TV guide is terrible. I cannot set a reminder for any programs, scroll through pages without being tuned to every channel I select, let alone being able to set something to record. My 10 year old Sony TV can do all these functions and I cannot understand why the product which is supposed to be more advanced can't incorporate any of these features. The sound is very poor too and changing the settings in the menu doesn't help. I am not very impressed, considering that a TV that size is over 300. This is not what I would call good value for money. This is the first Panasonic TV I bought and probably the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic TX-L24X5B 24-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview HD - Black, 25 Sep 2012
Firstly this review is only for the Panasonic TX-L24X5B 24-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview HD
As amazon mix they reviews up by brand not model which is useless .
The tv has excellent clarity picture very impressed lovely colours
The sound is completely good enough for a tv of this price and size no annoying vibrations
Hopes this helps potential buyers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant surprise, 7 Oct 2012
TK Hodgson "keithhodgson" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic TX-L32X5B 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012) (Electronics)
I've given the Panasonic 5 stars for it's price point. There are better TVs out there but you'll struggle to find one at this price.

I bought this for my aging mother and father. I'd done some research for TVs around 300 and the Samsung 5000 series came out favourite for picture quality and pretty much everything else. I took my father to our local Currys store to have a look at one and a few others as a precursor to buying from Amazon (30 cheaper!). I found the Samsung but we both thought the colours were a bit washed out however much I tweaked the picture with the remote. Further down the line and costing just a bit over the budget was the Panasonic. The picture was quite a bit better than all the other TVs in the same price range and equaled some costing over 100 more. So We went home and ordered the Panasonic.

It arrived from Amazon as expected and we assembled it. At first we couldn't get it to switch on with the remote. The instructions weren't to clear about it (yes I did eventually read the instructions!!), but my father found the power switch. Set up for freeview was a breeze. As soon as it powered up, the TV went into an auto configure routine and loaded all the available channels. We modified some of the parameters but found most of the default settings to be acceptable (had to leave something for father to tinker with!). I connected it to the Sky+ box and all was well. I've got to admit, the picture quality on this set is pretty good. They don't have HD but the display still looks very good. I have a 7000 series Samsung that cost over twice as much and I don't think my non HD (SD?) picture clarity is as good as the Panasonic - but quality can vary between sets I guess and maybe the upscaling doesn't work too well on my set.

Sound wise, it's ok but this is a 300 TV, and you're not going to get quality sound at that price point, especially without adding some external speakers, which can then bring about sound sync issues, etc.

I'd read some reports saying not to touch Panasonic as Samsung was just as good but cheaper, definitely not in this case. Don't forget this is a fairly basic TV with HD and a few bits of toys but no 3d, no "Smart" capability however, for 323 (which is what I paid) and I know my parents won't miss all the "Smart TV" bells and whistles it was a no brainer. You may have a different experience but to me, but I think this is a very good TV and excellent for the moneyfor the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture shame about the sound., 26 May 2013
I bought this TV without doing any research into it BIG mistake. The picture quality of the TV is excellent very crisp and clear. But it seems Panasonic forgot to add decent speakers. The sound is nothing short of diabolical. The speakers can be best describe as poor PC speakers. AVOID this TV at all cost waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Feb 2013
The picture quality on this TV is great. Unfortunately, the sound quality is nothing short of diabolical - very thin and tinny - and, trust me, I tried every means available to adjust it to no avail.

Not recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor viewing angle and pointless Ethernet port, 3 Aug 2012
C. Isbell (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Like a number of other reviewers, I have been disappointed by this television. The viewing angle is very poor in comparison with the smaller Sharp Aquos it replaced. If I lie on the floor, the screen becomes unwatchable.

The set has an Ethernet port, but I have still to find out what this is for. (Panasonic have not yet answered my question about this.) The manual states: "This terminal is for access to the MHEG interactive services and features through an internet. Please contact broadcasters for availability of services." It is not possible to access media on my network over Ethernet, which is a little disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One key feature of superiority, 19 July 2012
Timbo (Coalitionsville, UK) - See all my reviews
The average picture quality from the leading TV brands is so good nowadays that it will be your signal source that has more effect on the clarity of what you see than the brand. However, this smallest member of the Panasonic 2012 TV range has one key difference from the similar-sized LG/Samsung etc rivals filling your local electronics warehouse. This TV has a remarkably good sound, a feature praised by Which when they reviewed the whole 32" class of usual suspects earlier this year. When this TV emerges from its box it looks like a slim computer monitor, a screen in a picture frame with no speakers. But the speakers are invisible, pointing backwards & down from the bottom rear edge, R & L. The sound is not as rich as (say) a top-end iPod dock (Bose/B&W) but for a small TV it is much better than average. Perhaps the other brands assume everyone wires their TVs through a hi-fi system so the onboard speakers are never used? But I suspect those people would not be buying a 32" TV anyway but one much larger. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a second TV for the kitchen or a bedroom, this is an excellent choice unless you are mad for 3D (can't think why) in which case look elsewhere. It has an onboard Freeview receiver which makes a very good fist of Freeview HD too. It also has multiple HDMI inputs and a USB input, the latter very useful if you have mp4 movies etc to view. I give it 5 stars because at the Amazon price it is very good value.