5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
This is the second installment of the DORK DIARIES, the girls version of the DIARY OF A WIMPY KID books for boys.

It is written in a diary form with drawings. When I told my fifth grade girls that I had the second book in the series, they got very excited, since most of them had already read the first installment.

Nikki is the heroine of this series...
Published on 3 Jun. 2010 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
its alright its just the title doesnt suit it and the books always have the same background, especially at the end of all the books
Published 18 months ago by kateannesaraboyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 3 Jun. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Nikki is the heroine of this series. She is in middle school and is a great artist. She has two BFFs, Chloe and Zoey, and a crush on a popular boy named Brandon. There is also a queen bee named MacKenzie. Nikki gets involved with the Halloween dance. She has to plan and organize it - and MacKenzie wants her to fail.

The story is told in a very charming way and has a lot of good cultural references. You want to root for Nikki and boo MacKenzie. The story is a little unrealistic, but I still accepted it hook, line, and sinker.

I enjoy this series and so do all the girls I have given it to. So curl up and enjoy this very funny story!

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Dork Diaries: Party Time, 10 Aug. 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Those of you who read my Dork Diaries review will remember how much I enjoyed it, and how much I've been looking forward to Party Time. I'm glad to say that this second instalment is just as fun as the first, and is the perfect book for readers of around nine years and older.

Nikki Maxwell is back, and this time she has a major problem: she's over-booked! Not only is she supposed to be at a ballet class Halloween party, but she's also supposed to be organising the school dance and hanging out with two different groups of people. All at the same time. Nothing is ever easy or quiet for Nikki, and how she juggles this night of epicness is both hilarious and stressful. I won't say whether she pulls it off or not - you'll just have to read it and find out!

As with Dork Diaries, Party Time is funny, realistic and visually appealing. The illustrations add so much to the story, and I'm not just talking about an extra laugh or two when you see Nikki almost get her eye poked out by little sister Brianna. They really add an extra element of enjoyment to the book, and I can just imagine how much I would have loved to read these when I was 9.

The Dork Diaries series is fast becoming my favourite for younger readers, and I really hope there are more dorky stories living in Rachel Renee Russell's head. I'm sure Nikki has many more embarrassing moments just waiting to happen, as well as lots of gossip to share about her crush on Brandon. More please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dork Diaries 2: Another worthy best seller, 21 May 2015
Before I begin this review, I just want to come clean about a few things. First of all, I'm male. Second of all, I'm in my early 20s. And thirdly, I did buy and read this book. If you want to know why exactly then check out my review for the first 'Dork Diaries' book - 'How could it be anything else but a best seller?' It will explain everything.
But with that being said, just what is it about this party-themed book/diary that I found as intriguing as Rachel Renee Russell's first novel? Let's start with the story.
The story continues the life of 14-year-old Nikki Maxwell. Carrying on from where her last diary entry left off (which, BTW, according to this book was literally one day ago), Nikki has finally settled into her new life at WCD private school - although she still considers herself to be the least popular dork around. After hearing about the annual Halloween dance, she and her BFFs, Chloe and Zoey, sign up to be on the clean-up crew, hoping it will increase their chances of getting dates. Unfortunately, Nikki's arch-rival Mackenzie Hollister is elected chairperson of the event, and she leaves Nikki and her friends in a difficult bind. Now Nikki has to work out a way to save the dance from disaster AND juggle her own teenage problems - with hilarious results.
In regards to the story itself, I found that 'Party Time' was just as entertaining and funny as the original 'Dork Diaries' thanks to its unique style. The way it's written as diary entries with drawings, smiley faces and big bold capital lettering, really makes the narrative feel like it was written by a 14-year-old girl. This not only helps the story feel more believable - even when things get a bit over-the-top - but it allows the reader to connect with Nikki on a personal level. Whenever she's shocked, mad, sad or happy, we are too. Which is good because there are some genuinely emotional moments to be felt.
Also, like the original 'Dork Diaries', there were two highlights of the book for me. The first was the humour. Although I didn't find all of the jokes funny, there were several moments that really made me giggle. An example is when Nikki explains how her mother had always wanted to do ballet as a girl and so decided to force her daughters to do it instead. Plus, there are some funny moments of dialogue, too, like "cry me a river, build yourself a bridge and get over it." I'm starting to think it's impossible for anyone to read a 'Dork Diaries' book without laughing at something.
The second highlight of the book for me was the pop-culture references. As in the original 'Dork Diaries', there are so many references to real life things that it's hard to believe the story is a work of fiction and not a real teenager's diary. Throughout the book Nikki mentions celebrities like Justin Bieber and Jessica Simpson; movie characters like Darth Vader and The Terminator; and other things like YouTube, Twilight, Dora the Explorer, Fruity Pebbles, a phone call prank (obviously inspired by 'The Simpsons'), Disney World, Barbie, Hello Kitty, Tickle Me Elmo, BlackBerry, Mickey Mouse, 'My Super Sweet 16', and more. This is what makes the book so memorable and unpredictable - you never know what Nikki is going to reference next. Chances are if you read 'Party Time' you'll recognise at least one thing that will help you remember you read the book.
Another thing that's memorable about the book is its characters. Admittedly some of them do feel like the same stereotypical characters from the previous book: Mackenzie is still the popular/mean girl; Brandon is still the love interest; Chloe and Zoey (with their conveniently rhyming names) are still Nikki's lovable sidekicks, etc. But the story gives them just enough development to make them feel fresh to readers who already know them. Chloe and Zoey are a little more derpier, with their crazy ideas; Nikki's parents are goofier to the point where Nikki feels she has to give them serious advice on their marriage and raising Brianna; Brandon asks Nikki on their first date; and Mackenzie goes from being a whiny and rude CCP to a selfish and cruel bully - seriously her scheming and thievery is almost scary. All the while, the narrative helps any new readers of the 'Dork Diaries' series understand exactly who the characters are, without relying too heavily on information from the previous book.
In fact, that's another highlight to 'Party Time'. Although it makes reference to events of the first 'Dork Diaries' (e.g. the art contest, 'Miss Penelope' and Brianna's tooth fairy problem) it works well enough on its own, and is as good an introduction to the series as its predecessor.
Overall, I feel 'Party Time' was just as good as the first instalment of 'Dork Diaries'. However, the reason I've given it a 4-star rating is because I do have a few minor issues with it. Namely its repetition and predictability. Although there aren't so many mentions of lipgloss and cases of Nikki wanting to die from humiliation, they are still carried over from first book - as are Nikki's worn out catchphrases "said it all in my head" and "how juvenile would that be?" Plus, she comes up with new catchphrases and seems to develop repetitive behaviour - e.g. she does her "Snoopy Happy Dance" 4 times throughout the book (with the exact same drawing each time). But the biggest repetition is actually in the story's structure. The events of 'Party Time' almost mirror those seen in the first book: Nikki and her friends sign up to something; Mackenzie comes in and makes things difficult; Brandon motivates Nikki not to quit; things go from better to worse to better again; Mackenzie fake-congratulates Nikki at the end; etc. The result is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it gives off the same feeling as the original novel, and new-comers to the series won't feel like they've missed out on anything if they haven't read the original 'Dork Diaries'. But on the other hand, fans of the first book will recognise many familiar scenarios, like nightmares, home-made recipes, "Jazz hands" and meetings in the janitors closet, which ultimately makes parts of the story feel predictable.
And by the way (spoiler alert), the climax is pretty cliched, too. Here's the situation: Nikki's in a place where there's three different groups of people expecting her. The trouble is they're all expecting to see her at the same time, wearing a certain costume. So Nikki has three different costumes and tries to see them all, without leaving one group for too long. You can pretty much figure out the rest for yourself.
There are other issues, too, like the narrative forgetting minor details, which leaves me wondering things like: How did Nikki get her hiccups?; Where did her duffle bag vanished to?; and, Why is there a drawing of a 'crescent moon' when Nikki said "full moon,"? However, this is a diary, so it's logical to assume Nikki didn't bother with these details or just simply forgot about them.
In conclusion, Rachel Renee Russell's second instalment of 'Dork Diaries' finds new ways to make me laugh and bond with Nikki. Her thoughts and reactions might seem a bit overzealous at times, but they are funny and believable. You have to remember that this is all told from the perspective of a 14-year-old girl, so things like Nikki wanting to change her last name because of her sister, and thinking she's more adult than her parents are just natural teenage thoughts. When it comes down to it, though, the story's not really about how believable or unbelievable it is. 'Dork Diaries' is a humorous and unique take on modern teenage life, which doesn't let the limitations of realism interfere with its creativity.
I would honestly recommend this book to anyone. Don't let the target audience or cover art fool you. I think the humour and pop-culture references can appeal to anyone who's looking for an good read - even boys.
I'm hoping the third book, will cut down a bit on some of the copy and pasted elements, but I really enjoyed reading 'Party Time' and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of sequels, too. 'Dork Diaries' is a series truly worthy of being called an international best-seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 10 April 2015
This review is from: Dork Diaries: Party Time (Dork Diaries Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This book is so funny with the best pictures ever!!! It is about a teenage girl who is fighting her way through the annoying middle school. Also , she has a popular but mean girl right next to her locker and she is trying to cope! This book includes: Nikki (the nice girl!) With her true love, Brandon but McKenzie(the mean girl) is trying to get in the way, Nikki trying to cope with her little sister, Brianna, Nikki , also trying to book a school dance, and so much more. I hope you love this book like I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Really like this book!, 8 May 2015
(Written by sydney age 10)

(written by Sydney age 10)

Nikki’s school is having a Halloween dance and Mackenzie is chairperson! That is until she resigns and Nikki is left to plan the dance, but she has the help of her Bffs, Chloe and zoey.
Will the dance take place at all?
I liked the part when Nikki is at the dance with Chloe, zoey and Brandon.
Overall I would give this book a rating of: 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Dork Diaries Party Time, 22 Feb. 2015
I have chosen 5/5 as Rachel was able to make the book a real life image in my mind about the dorky fun teenager Nikki Maxwell.

I totally enjoyed the book and liked everything about it. I sometimes wonder if I have someone like Mackenzie Hollister in my class at school. I would recommend this book to every teenage girl who is the same situation as Nikki!!

By VERENA K

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 20 Dec. 2014
I think this book is hilarious and awesome and you, children should read it.
Once you read it you'll never really want to read anything else.
There are 10 books, you can be like me and read from the 9th book or begin from the first you can read any book first and it will all make sense.
By Kimi age 9

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT JUST REALLY FAST TO READ. IT TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO READ ALL OF IT !!!!!, 12 July 2014
GREAT JUST TO SHORT !!!!

This book was really good but I recommend it for slow readers or beginners because it's short and has many nice pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars 😄😄😄😄😄😃😂😂😜, 17 Jun. 2014
This book was amazing! So funny and light-hearted! I just couldn't stop reading this incredibly funny book! I can't wait for the next one! Read it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Jun. 2014
I got so lost in the book and the characters came alive I recommend this book to very one I really love it.