1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars From someone who is transgendered..., 24 April 2012
I recently made the admission to myself and all those who love and care about me, that i was transgender, to be more specific, a pre op male to female transsexual, because in the very near future i will be having the full gender reassignment surgery, and taking hormones and all the steps necessary to live the life i should have led a long time ago but didnt have the courage or strength to do anything about it.

I bought this book for several reasons, it was a new publication released just 2 weeks ago, the tag line "a simple guide to a complex issue" intrigued me, and also because i thought this book would be able to help my mum come to terms with who i am, which she is understandable struggling with, as any caring parent would.

The book begins by explaining that the title of the book is a bit misleading, and that transgender is an umbrella term, and that the book will focus primarily on transsexuals. Thats fine by me, i was expecting this anyway, but the book does detail the other sub genres under the transgender umbrella.

Transgender 101 arrived yesterday afternoon, i began reading it there and then and carried on reading it until the small hours of this morning, and again when i awoke today. There is so much info in this book, though bare in mind that its an American publication, there is no mention of British medical procedures or anything like that, nothing about the NHS, however this book does itself many favours by not being too territory specific, and many chapters in this book will relate to many transgender people regardless of country of origin or habitat. There is a whole chapter on coming out, which expanded, could be a book in itself one day.

The chapter "transgenderism as a mental health issue" really interested me because of all i have been through, though it is an ambiguous chapter due t the subject matter, it is still very interesting to read and should put some minds at ease.

This book really is aimed at a wide audience, not just for transgender people like myself, but for my friends, family, co workers, those in the medical profession even, psychologists and psychiatrists. This book should appeal to most people who have even the smallest degree of interest in this very much misunderstood subject.

Personally, for me this book came at the right time. Although i have accepted that i do not conform to my birth gender, i have constantly struggled to gain a deep understanding of my "condition" if that is what you wish to call it. Yes i know we do not know everything about this tricky subject, but we have gained much knowledge since Jorgensen's days.

I sincerely hope this book educates all those who read it, and re-evaluates negative thoughts they once had of transgenderism. With a little luck, this book may even inspire many more transgendered people to come out, and in time maybe even more knowledge could be gained because of this momentum. There is still so much to learn about transgenderism and i honestly believe that in my lifetime this once taboo subject will be very much more mainstream than it is today, and life will hopefully become much easier for transpeople than it currently is.

Hopefully this book will teach all who read it something, no matter how significant.