5.0 out of 5 stars Best notebook I've owned
I'm writing this review in the hope that it helps you decide
what to buy if you are looking for a low cost but what I regard
for the price as a high spec notebook.

First thing I wanted to clear up is that the images Amazon have
associated with this product are not of this product !!!

This notebook DOES indeed have a HDMI port (and VGA)...
Published on 24 Jun 2012 by mortoman

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty keyboard not enough cpu/ram speed
Hi all! I bought this netbook 3 weeks ago, the delivery was delayed (it took near 10 days, unusual thing with Amazon). I bought 2 GBytes to swap for the 1 GBytes from the factory. The notebook just could do the job and you can not expect too much. The CPU and the amount of RAM could not keep up with my expectations of watching videos online, jump fast from 1 window to...
Published 22 months ago by Guillem

5.0 out of 5 stars Best notebook I've owned, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Samsung NC110 10.1 inch Laptop - Black (Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
I'm writing this review in the hope that it helps you decide
what to buy if you are looking for a low cost but what I regard
for the price as a high spec notebook.

First thing I wanted to clear up is that the images Amazon have
associated with this product are not of this product !!!

This notebook DOES indeed have a HDMI port (and VGA) which is not shown !!
I have tested the HDMI output and it does provide a nice facility to
watch a movie on your HD TV. Tested iTunes, BBC iPlayer, etc, all work
very well (slight stutter in playback if you go HD on iPlayer but tbh
SD is perfect on the units screen.

OK so onto the build; quality is very good the keyboard alone is a big
winner for me; it's an island keyboard meaning the spaces between the
keys have been increased to prevent you hitting two keys at the same
time (all you touch typists out there will love it).

The screen is anti glare and diffused so you really can read well
in bright sunlight, (I tested this at home and you honestly can,
think near Kindle quality).

Performance: It uses the Intel Atom n2600 a dual core CPU which is
optimised for notebooks and this provides good all round performance
executing applications nicely (Office etc); it's not going to give
you the cutting edge performance of a high spec laptop but that's
not what your buying a notebook for is it ? You should upgrade to
the 2GB RAM (as it's such a cheap option).

Storage: SD card reader, 320GB HDD some space is eaten up by the
rubbish (and this is my only complaint) games and the obligatory
fluff that gets shipped with a new computer these days, just uninstall
this tripe, and free up the space.

Connectivity: 3 x USB ports (1 also doubles as an ODD which lets you
hook up a compatible Optical Disk Drive),the usual WiFi, Ethernet port,
Bluetooth; WiFi range appears very good. I tested this again around the
house and the signal remains strong (obviously this test is subjective
as it will depend partly on your AP but compared to some of my other kit
the signal was good in all areas).

So all in all I have no issues at all with this notebook, as said it's
not going to let you perform massive algorithmic intense simulations or
run the companies DBMS but if you want something that lets you prepare presentations on the train / plane, type documentation, surf all day
(8 hours)and watch movies etc when you're trapped in that crappy hotel
the company booked you into all without breaking your shoulder dragging
a great slab of a machine around, then you can't go wrong with this device.

Hope this helps you decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent netbook, excellent price, why haven't you bought this yet?, 22 Sep 2012
When my old laptop failed and I was forced to buy a new one before starting university 5 days ago, I had only 240. I immediately went on the hunt for a decent LAPTOP, but found that such a hunt was fruitless, so I turned to NETBOOKS. I mean, considering I only want it for streaming video, browsing the internet and writing Word documents, it's perfect.

Firstly, this netbook has SUPERB battery life (depending on your screen brightness.) Even on 'high' it manages about 6 hours. It also has excellent performance, however you WILL DEFINITELY want to buy a 2GB RAM stick for this device to replace its original 1GB. With this in, it really speeds along; DO NOT BUY MORE THAN 2GB BECAUSE THE MOTHERBOARD IS ONLY DESIGNED FOR 2GB MAXIMUM! DON'T be put off by that sounding like a technical job, just remove the battery and then A.) unscrew flap B.) eject old RAM C.) click new RAM into place D.) screw flap back on. - A monkey could do it!

IF you buy this netbook, PLEASE don't be put off by its initial slow-start up, this is completely normal. Another thing I'll say is that, as a netbook, the device is designed primarily to be set to 'sleep' mode anyway, rather than be 'shut down'. - This enables a near-instant 'wake up' upon your return to work/play and really means you can do anything, any time. - Oh the joys of portability!

The keyboard is fantastic. Having never owned a netbook before, I was a little skeptical that the keys would be too small for my fingers, but after about 10 minutes, I was touch-typing away like it was my old laptop. Samsung have helpfully kept important keys such as 'enter', 'shift', 'backspace' and 'ctrl' large to help with this and the keyboard has excellent key springs to ensure you're never in doubt as to whether you've pressed a button or not.

There is a MINOR down-side (and this is me REALLY looking for a down-side) to this device and, as usual, has NOTHING to do with the physical components of the device, it's all to do with the PRE-INSTALLED SOFTWARE. - Just make sure you uninstall all the rubbish that's put on as well as anything else you don't think you'll need that Samsung have added and you'll have one speedy netbook. However having said that, pre-installed software means the device costs less... so a necessary evil, perhaps!

I really hope this review was helpful and I also hope it encourages you to buy this device, it's truly excellent (and stylish!)

P.S Here's the link to the RAM I bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ZME33Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 26 Jun 2012
I've owned a Samsung NC10 for the past 3 or so years and having been pleased with it, decided to purchase this revamped version. Unfortunately there is not a lot of improvement performance wise, which I think maybe has to do with this machine running Windows 7 and not XP. I intend to upgrade to 2GB RAM which should improve support for Windows 7.

Having said that, if this is your first netbook, I would recommend it, the build quality is excellent considering the price, with the added bonus of Bluetooth 3 & an HDMI out socket. Don't be put off by it only having the stater version of Windows 7, there are still easy ways to customise it, just do a search. Netbooks certainly don't deserve the bad press they receive and in my opinion they are far more versatile (and cheaper) than an iPad, they just don't look as cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zimano, 27 May 2012
I'm not good at reviews so here is a list of things about this Netbook that may help:

*Samsung NCC110P version of this Netbook - as far as I can tell the P version is the one with the Atom Cedar Trail N2600.

*Even though it doesn't mention it on the Amazon webpage this does come with HDMI out.

*Memory upgradable via a trapdoor expansion slot opened using a small philips style cross headed screwdriver (I personally went with 2gb memory part CT25664BC1339), from what I gather 2GB is the most amount of memory the cpu supports. For any other old gits out there, changing the memory exactly the same way you would change some 72pin memory back in the days of the 486 and on an Amiga A1200 trapdoor expansion card, very simple indeed.

*The screen has an antiglare coating that does affect the brightness of the screen but is a small price to pay for no reflections. For reference it's as strong as the coating on a Dell U2410 monitor. For Glossy lovers check out the Acer models based on this same cpu.

*Currently no hardware accelleration for adobe flash, waiting for them to release an update so it supports the N2600 cpu (hopefully this wont be too long.) In a nutshell this means smooth HD content via Youtube etc is currently a no go. You can download (using downloadhelper for example) this content and play back using the likes of Media Player Classic fine though. This not a problem with the unit, just Adobe being lame.

I bought this unit personally for emulators when I'm off on crappy long car journeys (Spectaculator, Mame, Winuae and Dosbox all work fine) and for my mrs to watch itv player, bbc iplayer, 4od, demand 5 and lovefilm. Lovely bonus being able to watch these on a big screen aswell (both VGA and HDMI output will allow 1920x1080 resolution via the tv).

Hope this helps someone, really can't fault the unit at all :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Netbook, 1 Sep 2012
I needed a new laptop for my now defunct Dell. I wanted something portable, not to big which would enable me to go online , check emails surf the web, watch Youtube and Lovefilm, plus do some word processing.I was thinking of a Ipad until I checked many reviews for Netbooks on Cnet,pcworld,Youtube and amazon.The Samsung NC110 came with excellent praise. To be extra certain I wanted to see how large the device was before buying and fortunately a friend had just recently bought one. I was amazed at how light and small the device was.Compared to a laptop which I have always used. I was somewhat skeptical of the powers and ability of the Netbook.The positives having owned the Netbook for a few days now. The build quality is excellent it looks very smart and sleek. The keyboard is fantastic, very slick and does not feel cheap. Having now watched many Youtube and a few lovefilm movies the sound quality is very good and very loud, it is not at all tiny which I was worried about, so you need not buy external speakers. The screen resolution is great, no glare in sun light either because of the LED screen.The biggest plus is the battery life, I cannot believe how long it lasts on full charge, I have managed 8 hours, processing and surfing and watching Youtube which is amazing. The negatives, the touch pad is a little small so you need to adjust your fingers to this, however surprisingly I am now use to this, plus the pinch zoom features is a added bonus for me. If you have big hands,fat fingers then a mouse will do the job. The edges of the screen are plastic, and very sharp so need to be careful. The Netbook comes with a lot of software which is just useless and I spent 30mins removing it all, and downloading antivirus and chrome browser which made the device so much quicker.I upgraded to a 2GB memory by Crucial and it really does make a huge difference, the cost is less than a tenner, so you cannot go wrong and very easy to install(read instructions or look on Youtube for a novice like me).
Overall I recommend this Samsung Netbook NC110 very highly. My first one and I wont be going back to a laptop, looks great,lightweight, fast, and does all I want.Plus is cheaper than a tablet and more functional. I will now be purchasing the Samsung SE-208AB slim external DVD writer to watch movies which is around 20.
Very happy with purchase thanks amazon and Samsung.

5.0 out of 5 stars very portable, gets work done., 28 Aug 2012
just upgrade the ram to 2gb, delete all that software that slows the boot-up time and you have a very good portable device. If you just need to get work done, look at emails, browse social networking sites, listen to music, you-tube BUT on a budget, i do recommend this with the upgrades. If you are a student, please do consider this option.

battery life is about 10 hours. 7-8 hours of solid word processing (obviously with the brightness down). its a dual core 1.66 so 3.32ghz total. This is more than enough to do the list I gave above. just upgrade the ram to 2gb to improve the speed. has a webcam so you can skype people and bluetooth to manage things on devices.

conclusion: brilliant for a student.

review written by a student.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Brilliant, 27 Aug 2012
Andrew Gooding (UK) - See all my reviews
Quick delivery from Amazon as usual. I bought this in July 2012 with 2GB RAM.

Quite pleased with it. Quite fast boot up and shut down. Too much Samsung utility software which probably causes more trouble than it is worth. So I have removed most of that. I would only advise doing that if you feel confident to do so.

I don't like the plastic edge of the display on this model. It is quite sharp to the touch, probably not enough to actually cut yourself, but a rounder edge would have a better feel. Why do manufacturers try to make laptops that would double as a bread knife?

Had some problems connecting to a Virgin Superhub, but I think the problem lies with the hub firmware, which Virgin are working on. The netbook connected to other hubs OK. It is currently connecting to the Superhub, but is a bit slow to connect to that hub.

Good value. I can use this as a light portable way to connect to work (via remote desktop) when on location, which works OK. I do find the screen too small compared to using a normal 15" laptop, but is is fine for occasional use and the lightness is a big plus. Battery life has been good, but I can't put an exact figure on this, maybe about 9 hours. Battery life really depends on how you use it, but it is better than all laptops in this respect.

I wouldn't recommend a netbook as a complete replacement for a laptop, but is is a good option as a back up unit and lightweight alternative for travelling and some home use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device for the money, 24 Aug 2012
When I purchased the N110 it cost 222.94. I also got the 2GB RAM upgrade costing 8.99 (2GB, 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module). Installing the RAM took less than 2 minutes.

I'm a 4th year university student and bought this netbook for the mobility it provides. I found that my laptop was too compact to comfortably use as a 'desktop', and too large to carry around easily. For the same price as my old laptop I bought the N110 and built a desktop computer (that outperforms a modern laptop but only costs the same as a new desktop and the N110).

General appearance: The netbook looks professional. With the lid closed it is small and compact in appearance. The lid has small rubber pads in the top corners which allow it to close against the keyboard without rattling. Nothing on the netbook is "loose". When it is moved around or placed on a surface there are no rattling sounds

Screen: The screen is very thin (a positive point), although it is slightly set back inside the frame of the lid. I imagine this is to prevent contact with the keyboard although I think it detracts slightly from the appearance (trying to find a negative here!) Also, at the edge of the screen where the shiny plastic top meets the textured border there is a sharp edge. It's not something one could cut themselves on, but it is the only part of the laptop which feels slightly cheap, as if pressed out of a mould. With the 2GB of RAM, youtube videos play smoothly, although don't look quite as good as on a laptop or desktop. They're good quality, but if I had to nit pick there's a slight faded quality to them and the frame rate appears to be lower. However, I have extremely high standards for stuff like this and I don't consider it a problem.

Keyboard: The keyboard feels very nice. The buttons are quiet to type on and have a pleasant solid feel to them. They are very stable and don't rattle at all. The keyboard is also large enough to touch type on at speed. I will be doing moderate amounts of word processing on this when term time starts again and haven't had any problems doing typing on it so far. The function keys are actually helpful - there is one which disables the touch pad (useful when writing large amounts) and others which allow the adjustment of volume etc.

Software: There is a lot of unneeded software that comes installed on it. I simply removed it all first thing. It all came off without any problems and isn't really an issue. I haven't encountered a pre-built system that didn't have bloatware so I can't complain.

Other Hardware: I used skype on it yesterday and the person I talked to said I was extremely clear and not at all pixelated. I'm aware that connection speed has a lot to do with this but apparently I was clearer than I have ever been on my 2 Mpixel webcam. Not sure how this is possible but I'm not complaining. The wireless range is also very good. It has at least half signal anywhere in my house (usually it's full) whereas my mobile will often drop wifi connection when too far from the wireless point.

Battery life: The battery life so far is phenomenal. I'm used to 3 hours of use on a laptop. Yesterday I was using it moderately all day and it easily lasted for 7 hours with a predicted time of 1 hour left. The other important thing is the battery is removable, so if it does start to give poor life times after a year or so you can buy another one (unlike tablets, macbooks, and my phone).

I'm extremely happy with this purchase. I had considered getting a tablet but for a smaller price tag I feel I can do a lot more on this while having a product which is just as portable. The keyboard in particular gives it an edge over a tablet in my opinion since I can word process.
I'd happily recommend this to anyone looking for an ultra portable computer capable of web browsing and word processing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Assessment, 10 Aug 2012
If you just want a straightforward, no-nonsense, laptop to do the basics, this is it. No frills but a solid and reliable little machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware! NC110 isn't eligible for Windows 8 upgrade!, 15 Sep 2012
Despite Amazon stating on this product page that the NC110 is likely "eligible" for the 14.99 Windows 8 upgrade offer, upon purchasing this netbook, I installed the release preview and found out the "Metro" apps wouldn't run with the screen resolution (1024x600) as the minimum is 1024x768...Anyway, long story short, after googling around for about an hour I can across a website dedicated to Windows 8 on Netbooks. One story was about how Windows 7 Starter is excluded from the eligibility of being able to upgrade to Win 8 for 14.99.

So what did I do? I phone Amazon stating it was misleading that displaying the Windows 8 upgrade offer on the product page. Long story short, I was sort of being guided to the refund path. I asked them to take it down, but she said it was Microsoft's offer but was defending Amazon in some way or another.

I had really had enough of Microsoft at by this point. As a user of Ubuntu in the past, I am comfortable using it and navigating my way around the OS. I'm sure a granny could use it, it's that simple. Anyway, I formatted my desktop as well and all my data is syncing to the cloud. I purchased a 99p track and got 20GB "Ubuntu One" cloud storage for 6 months as well as music streaming. So I can't really complain. Enough of the OS, onto the laptop.

It's an absolute cracker. Pretty fast for what it's provided with. I mean, it's a low powered processor, so you're not exactly going to get Core i5/i3 speeds on it. But the positive trade-off from this is the absolutely *mega* long battery life. Windows stated that I was able to get about 7 and a half hours out of the battery. In Ubuntu, I can get 10...yes...10 hours...switching bluetooth off etc. Wifi still on and running apps/listening to music/surfing net.

I can't really fault the laptop at all. I'm giving it 4 stars because of the OS issue. But the hardware is absolutely fantastic. If you want something to carry abuot with you without weighing you down, this is it. I think ultrabooks are too expensive and the cheapo laptops are generally 15 inch and really heavy/bulky.

If I was able to change the theme in Windows 7 Starter to the "Classic" (i.e the "sober") theme, then I'd be happy. I just can't stand the "fischer price" esque nature of Windows 7 when it's untouched and from a fresh install.

If you plan on using the Windows 7 which comes with it, be aware that there is *a lot* of unnecessary apps installed on the computer by default.

I thought I liked Microsoft, but this was my final straw. Along with the fact that my Dell desktop didn't come with a recovery DVD so had to find one from a rather good site if you google for Windows 7 ISO...but that's another story ;-)