4.0 out of 5 stars Foucault Review
Published 16 months ago by Chloe Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars One Cheer for Foucault
I read three Philosophy in an Hour books - Derrida, Heidegger and Foucault. I'm reviewing each one separately but have remarks common to all of them which I have written at the start of my review of Heidegger: Philosophy in an Hour.

Published 22 months ago by J. Mann

4.0 out of 5 stars Foucault Review, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Foucault: Philosophy in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
I have chose this rating because this product is very easy to read and provides a detailed insight into the life of Michel Foucault. This has helped me gain further understanding into Foucault's theoretical perspectives which has helped me greatly when writing assignments within Sociology. I would recommend this product to anyone who is interested in or studying Sociology or Philosophy.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Cheer for Foucault, 6 Oct 2012
J. Mann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Foucault: Philosophy in an Hour (Kindle Edition)

Out of Heidegger, Derrida and Foucault, I have to say Paul Strathern seems to take most kindly to Foucault. That isn't necessarily saying a lot - for Strathern Wittgenstein is always going to get the gold, silver and bronze in Twentieth Century Philosophy - but he is happier with someone who deals in "facts" rather than theories (which are crimes he feels Heidegger and Derrida fall foul of).

Perhaps Foucault isn't really serious enough for Strathern. His Foucault certainly puts in the hours reading his source material, but is too much given to style over substance and coming up with sweeping statements like the "death of man" to really be a proper thinker.

Although perhaps less dismissive of Foucault than Heidegger and Derrida, Strathern still makes it clear he isn't impressed with Foucault and ultimately doesn't seem able to find much to agree with - if Heidegger and Derrida each got an E-grade from Strathern, then Foucault probably gets a D-grade. You get the impression he is writing about Foucault because others have deemed him worth writing about - but if he is going to write about him, he may as well let you know all the things he thinks are wrong with him.

The trouble is that what Foucault was fascinated by - the relation of power and knowledge - is a hugely pressing issue for today. We are constantly aware that power and money produces knowledge and hence those in power have more knowledge and can use that in the exploitation and oppression of the poor. Think of the nonsense the BBC presents as "news" when every news story they present is clearly swayed by the rich and powerful to reflect their own agenda.

Instead of sniffing at what he perceives as Foucault's faults it would have been a lot more useful if Strathern was able to engage with this serious issue and let the reader see how Foucault sheds light on it, and what he suggests can be done about it. After all this is the issue Foucault brought to light in his intensive studies of the rise of modernism so why not explain to the reader the sort of mechanisms that support the power/knowledge matrix that covers the world we live in?

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful introduction, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Foucault: Philosophy in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
For the price, this is a helpful introduction to the life and ideas of Foucault. I am not in a position to critique the work in depth as I'm new to Foucault - hence the purchase - but it seemed to me to highlight some of the strengths and limitations of some of his key ideas. Some details about the life of Foucault are woven into outlining the philosophy/ideas, giving the reader a good sense of who the person was. Whilst I feel I've only scratched the surface, I have found it much easier to understand and informative than other introductory/short/dummies guide to Foucault and certainly worth the two hours it took me to read it. I would imagine it is no easy task to outline complex ideas to the beginner, particularly for someone like myself who does not have a background in philosophy but this has managed to achieve that to a satisfactory degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great introduction to Foucault, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Foucault: Philosophy in an Hour (Kindle Edition)
For someone who is dyslexic, it did take longer than an hour but usually I was able to read it in one go. It not only gave insight into his thinking but also into the man himself.

Foucault: Philosophy in an Hour