5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good!
I am not sure I have the words to describe how I feel about this book. For starters I read it in pretty much one sitting as I could not put it down. I immersed myself so thoroughly I almost forgot to stop for lunch! And only then did i stop as i had to walk away from it while I battled with the emotions being evoked!

The characterisation is so special that I...
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by emzibah

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
A good, short read about friendship, growing up and trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to do the right thing.

Despite his flaws I liked the main character John, I feel the other main character, Kenny, could have been developed a lot more, I did sympathise with him, however, I think the author missed a trick to make him more than he was and really grab the...
Published 16 months ago by Minimoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good!, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)

The characterisation is so special that I really cared for the characters in this book. The 'voice' of John could be clearly heard through the use of East End vernacular (which included a lot of swearing, but, for me, this did not deter but in fact added to the character!) Oh! and how my heart went out to Kenny throughout the book.

The journey is an incredible, but believable, one and will stay with me for a long long time to come. This could so easily be someone's memoirs.

It was a roller coaster of emotions from sheer joy and excitement to devastation and grief. I got caught up in the excitement and enthusiasm of the football final and was crying hard in the darker more tragic moments.

I would highly recommend 'Abide With Me' and look forward to more from Ian Ayris

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
This wasn't the sort of thing I would normally read, but as it was free I decided to give it a go. I wasn't disappointed. It made me laugh and cry. The language is very graphic but entirely in keepng with the subject matter. I would love to know what became of John though, after such a tough start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
I knew a little of Ian Ayris from short stories I had read, so thought I would give this a try. Despite initial reservations about the subject - football and gangsters - I was totally engaged from page 1. The language took me a short while to get used to, but really a very short while. Every emotion was stirred - humour, anger, compassion, fear. It is a fantastic write, and I can't wait for his next.
I also think it would make a fantastic film, though probably one I wouldn't have the stomach to watch. Images on a page are fine for me!
Bravo Ian. I hope this is just a first step to become one of the big names of fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a brilliant read..., 24 May 2012
Graham J. Sharpe (Ashdown Forest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
I think Abide With Me is a story about love. Sometimes life throws a load of crap at you, but if you've been loved, if you know deep inside that you're worth something, you find a way to conquer your demons. I hate football, but I loved this book. Graham J. Sharpe author of Purple Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars An original literary gem!, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Abide with Me (Paperback)
'Abide With Me' is original, inspiring and compelling. Through the distinctive voice of the main character John, the reader is taken on an emotional journey as he and his best mate Kenny discover the true meaning of friendship. Ian Ayris effectively combines several subject matters including crime, football and complex family dynamics making this book impossible to pin to any specific genre. This gripping tale of two boys becoming men will have you laughing, crying and praying that good will untimately prevail. As a female I can assure you that this page turner of a novel is as captivating for women as it is for men. Although the book contains football references and the main characters are male, the emotions portrayed are universal. 'Abide With Me' is a must read for anyone with a heart and, for a first novel, Ian Ayris has excelled himself with this original literary gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb compelling thought provoking, 3 Sep 2012
L. J. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
A rollarcoaster read spoken in the vernacular in the first peron. You are privy to main charectors thoughts thru out. Yes there is a lot of swearing but it is contextual and portrays the world it is describing.

I am a Northerner and usually stay clear of the cheekie chappie cor blimey stereotyped cockney in the same way I avoid the professional Yorkshireman depictions. But from page 1 I was completely hooked.

The prose flows like velvet; it is descriptivly rich and really draws you into a world of poverty, humour, bewilderment, love, sacrifice, pain - physical and mental and it delivers on all fronts.
The author just gets inside your head.

The narrative starts in childhood and spreads 14 years. Now I want to know what happens next so hopefully a sequel is in the offing.

I wont tell the story cos its all been said. But I highly recommend this excellent debut novel and wish Ian Ayris all the sucess he deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
I read this book a few weeks ago and have found myself thinking about it a lot since. I read it in one go as it had me hooked from the start, great evocations of time and place and superb characterisation. And speaking as someone who has no interest at all in football, the writing was so good that it totally drew me in and conveyed perhaps what real football fans feel at important matches. You will laugh and you will cry, it would be hard to find a more affecting tale of love and redemption - brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it !, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
in a word thoroughly loved it - try it a go and you wont be disappontd ! on the look out for another book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abide with Me by Ian Ayris, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
This is the debut novel by Ian Ayris published by Caffeine Nights a great publishing house with a great stable of writers to their credit.

It is written in an easy narrative style and you find yourself reading the story as Johnny was narrating it.

Anyone of a certain age will identify with parts of the story - for example the joy of receiving a Raleigh Chopper at Christmas, they were THE bike to have and I'm sure that everyone during their school days knew a character like Kenny. I was so moved by Kenny and his Mother's story which was so emotionally written and delivered by Johnny.

The emotion that Ian Ayris delivers leaves you feeling raw, it deals with all the major issues of the late 70's and 80's and how it effected ordinary people. Without giving the story away too much I sobbed whilst reading about the Cup Final.

Women don't be put off by the thought that this is story of football and lads - it's not it's a about families, love shows how cruel kids can be whilst growing up and I think shows how that can effect your life pattern.

There is a novel little twist as well towards the end of the story which made me smile.

A fantastic debut novel and can't wait to read the next book that the author publishes - well done Ian!

5.0 out of 5 stars One to share and to read again., 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
I'm disappointed I'll never again be able to read this book for the first time, I enjoyed it so much. Although written in London East End vernacular, the prose was easily accessible and beautifully written. I take great joy in recommending this wonderful book.

Abide with Me