5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful true adventure story
Published on 30 April 2009 by Maria Lodge

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disheartening.
I read this book because I am heading to Lefkas on holiday in June. Whilst the author kept reiterating that this was the most beautiful island, her description of traffic jammed streets, run-up down cafes and dirty toilets was not exactly inspiring....and the spelling! To read that....was a gentle sole! I would not expect that from an 11-year-old.
Published 2 months ago by Jan

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disheartening., 23 April 2015

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read...but.., 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
As a true story it was good, and the authors did well in describing the places and peoples they met. For anyone that has been to Greece and its Island (and not as a package tourist), you will share the reality of Greek hospitality and friendship.
The 'but' I had to add, as I thought some of the narrative was very simplistic and in my opinion not needed, but that just my personal opinion.

To have done what they did took some guts in the first place and yes, maybe they were naive......so what, dont think I could have done it and they will be the richer for it.

Must admit reading the part where they left brought back a lot of memories of similar Greek departures and leaving behind people you got to know and like - very powerful.

All in all a good read, narrative could have been punchier, but thats just the way I would have preferred it. Others will disagree.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a PATCH!, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
As a Greek island lover and having read lots of books about the Greek Islands I found this book to be quite disappointing and as a previous reviewer has stated, the language quite simplistic. I am by no means a literary expert and just read for the enjoyment and particularly the dream of one day being brave enough to take the leap from tourist to resident!

I thought that the author was, at times quite disrespectful towards her Greek hosts and indeed wondered what they would have made of her observations of their lives. That said, it was an ok read but if you want to be moved, you simply HAVE to read Daniel Chatto 'The Greek for Love: Life, Love and Loss in Corfu', Of course the sublime 'Eleni' by Nick Gage and the subsequent novel 'A place for us' as well as his daughters book, the hilarious Lawrence Durell 'My family and other animals', the utterly brilliant 'Blue Skies And Black Olives: A Survivor's Tale Of Housebuilding And Peacock Chasing In Greece' by the newsreader John Humphreys and I also loved the John Moles book 'It's All Greek to Me! A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina - and Real Greeks' and of course Jon waller's Greek Walls and Greek Sunset...Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
Diane comes over as the type of person you would avoid on holiday. I have only read 2 chapters so far, but find the harping on about "knowing the Greek language" tiring, I cannot understand the obssession they seem to have about a couple they met on holiday the year before. Also found many spelling errors (maybe this is down to the publishers) and, most annoying of all, the constant exclamation marks! An "!" after nearly every sentance, and I started counting them, rather than read the book. Found in two instances 4 exclamation marks in two 2-line paragraphs. The sun was out! I will carry on with the book, as I've paid for it, but certainly, unfortunately, not the best book by far about going to live in Greece (which I have done!) Sorry, excuse exclamation mark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chasing dreams in Lefkas, 7 Nov. 2009
Mary Atherton (Manchester. UK) - See all my reviews
Having read this book I have to say it will not be in the running for any literary prizes. It comes across as a somewhat sentimental and indulgent diary. This couple adopted a very naive approach to their adventure and were then surprised when their idea didn't enthuse everyone else. They seemed to have forgotten the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do" and in this case "the Greeks" Once this dawned on them and they began to appreciate the Greeks for what and for who they are things started to improve all round. They were very fortunate to be on the receiving end of the famous Greek hospitality. The continual back slapping and American spelling might prove tedious to some. However if you like an easy read and a happy ending then you have it here. They did at least "have a go" and for that I say well done to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful true adventure story, 30 April 2009
Maria Lodge (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I thought that this book was a joy to read. It's a true story about how the author saved her husband from deep depression when faced with redundancy at a difficult age. The courageous duo sold or left their precious belongings behind them and embarked upon a remarkable journey that most of us wouldn't be brave enough to undertake. Almost two decades on so many people are facing financial crisis through circumstances beyond their control.It made me laugh out loud in many places, which can only be a good thing. Laughter is the best tonic, so they say, and this book gives plenty of real life humor as well as allowing the reader to enjoy the well described scenery and the quaint and quirky Greek characters. Coming from Greek origin myself I was especially interested in the portrayal of Greek people, the author descibes us so well! I found the book as lovable and amusing as watching `My Big Fat Greek Wedding', `Shirley Valentine' and `Zorba the Greek'. It's an absolutely delightful story and would make a fantastic movie. A great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
This book is badly written, and a waste of money. I believe a lot of the 4 and 5 star reviews to be fake. My own review written after I had read the book a while ago disappeared without any explanation. There is some funny business going on here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 18 July 2013
I was so looking forward to reading this book as I have visited Lefkas many times over the years and love reading this type of book.
BUT! Virtually every sentence had an exclamation mark! This was most distracting! I think someone got their exclamation marks and full stops mixed up! (annoying isn't it). It read like a young teenagers diary, not something by an adult.
The worst faults were the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Here are just a few examples:
Tony was concerned about the van. What if it brakes down?"
Tony drove it home while I drove our other car, which we were going to sell behind.
Even though we were weary from the heat and tired of carrying equipment and it were a constant struggle.....
Neither of us new what to say.
I could go on and on and on, but you get the picture, and this is only up to chapter five.
I really don't think I can finish the book, it is so poorly written. Did the proof reader have a day off? It is absolutely appalling that a book can be printed when it is inundated with errors, and I am extremely annoyed that I paid £8.00 for it.
Please do not waste your money on this book because the errors will drive you insane.

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible book!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because I love nothing more than a book about people following their dream... This book however is nauseating. The writer and her husband constantly complain and moan and feel hard done by. This is a book for people who think they are better than others and think they are hard up while enjoying a bottle of wine every night and have a luxury home to return to. I would have happily forgiven the uninspiring writing in this book if the author and her husband hadn't come across as such thoroughly unlike able, self congratulatory and patronising people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather pedantic, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Chasing Dreams in Lefkas (Kindle Edition)
I found the book repetitive and the language used rather simplistic. I was unconvinced that the citizens of Lefkas were as enthusiastic about the enterprise as was described

Chasing Dreams in Lefkas