Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 November 2012
Listened to this album at least 40-50 times and can not be bored with it!

The vocals, the instrumentation, the lyrics are all reflects something for me I miss in this world today. Pro musicians unite here and create something worth to buy, own and listen. Dave is incredible in this album, I realized he is an awesome rock singer.. this is what still drives DM, as their music is somewhat less original these days.
on 4 December 2012
After a long waiting, finally I had a chance to enjoy very good lyric by Dave Gahan. The album you can listen in one sitting. A bit of sadness and fatigue in the notes of each song, maybe it makes the album even more interesting. Overall I'm not of disappointed even a bit. Over 30 years of their making good music, they still have a sense of life....
on 12 February 2013
I don't know anything about Soulsavers but was drawn to this cd because of Dave Gahan and if you are a Depeche Mode fan you will love it.
Fantastic lyrics and beautiful vocals from Dave Gahan, "Take me back home" is fantastic and i could listen to it time and time again.
Go out and buy it, after all it is only 6.55!
on 4 June 2012
This is a simply superb album. I really had doubts but the production and the sheer craft of album is astounding. Dave Gahan's voice is great and just shows what a fantastic singer he is. Don't just buy this record for having the lead singer of DM on it, buy it because it is a piece of music that one will listen to again and again.
on 18 June 2012
I can understand why Depeche Mode fans approaching this because of Dave Gahan are underwhelmed. But if they didn't know Soulsavers before, then they're missing the point. I'm not having a dig; I just think maybe they should go find a copy of Soulsavers' much darker and more electronic debut to listen to, and work their way forward again to here. Dave Gahan IS a good choice to mine the same seams as [previous main guest vocalist] Mark Lanegan, albeit using a different tool, (as it were). For me, it's simply evolution. As primarily a rock fan, I always prefer guitars to keyboards, organic real strings to electronica ones, and I'm a sucker for gospel stylings, so all in all, I'm enjoying this album a lot so far.

Having said that, I admit this album isn't perfect. With my analytical critic's head on, I can identify the album's shortcomings and (particularly) its recycling of earlier Soulsavers ideas/music - Take Me Back Home is a BLATANT revisiting of Revival - but you know what? I don't care! As a collective unit, T.L.T.D.S. hangs together well, more so than the otherwise excellent Broken did. None of the songs here outstay their welcome (I do accept that not everyone likes 8min+ crescendo wig-outs like DsD-all-time-fave Some Misunderstanding, which Gone Too Far could have been turned into).

Butbutbut ... have you played Just Try and thought, what IS this reminding me of? It drove me mad for an hour or two before the penny dropped: the verses are a dark-mooded take on Babybird's You're Gorgeous! What with that, and some of the Ian McNabb vocalisms, it may be that my interest is being held on what/who this album ISN'T rather than what it IS, but hey-ho. So far, a solid 7/10 album for me. And I'll tell you something else: when I'm done with this, I'm going to dig out Gahan's Paper Monsters CD for another spin or two.
on 11 June 2013
An absolutely beautiful album. Cinematic production (lots of strings), moving lyrics and tunes - making for an emotional listening experience. Only discovered this on Spotify due to being a big Depeche Mode fan - it's completely different to DM but really blown away by how good this album is. Highly recommended.
on 30 July 2013
Make no mistake - this is no mere side project. Dave Gahan's voice is the perfect foil for Soulsavers' melancholy, Mercury Rev-esque soundscapes. Longest Day and The Presence of God in particular are glorious songs. A must-have album.
on 11 October 2012
This album is one of the best albums of 2012, fresh, well played and produced. Dave Gahan's voice is better than ever, the writing is good and it puts many young bands to shame. I would give this more stars if I could!!! Superb!
on 29 January 2014
a must have for every depeche mode fan with the musical mix of soul saver. This album is what would happen if martin gore was normal!!!! makes the hairs stand up on my skin everytime I hear the first few songs
on 15 May 2015
its alright ,not as good as DM but not bad.