5.0 out of 5 stars Never Grow Old
There is something quite special about the Music of johnny cash and this fourth instalment again highlights the music and the enigma. A man with a staunch Christian belief who could tear it up when he wanted.
Published on 6 April 2012 by Fletch-a-sketch

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd
Published on 2 April 2012 by T. C. Casagranda

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Grow Old, 6 April 2012
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
These recordings are mainly from the 70's with only the later half of Disc 2 being early 80's recordings, much of which has previously been released but not necessarily on CD.
With this set I noticed more than ever just how good a writer Johnny Cash was, as well as being a superb interpreter of other peoples songs. Given the gospel nature of these songs there is less of the 'boom chicka' and more straight forward Country styling s on this album.
Though I thought I may get a little bored with the religious dogma I did not and listened to the full two and a bit hours of music straight through. Maybe its the gravitas in the voice along with the passion for the story which just left me gob-smacked at how good this was.
This is one excellent compilation and a fine addition to the work of Mr Cash, and I now look forward to the next instalment, as the quality of these Bootleg series discs so far has been very high

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Cash is dead-long live Johnny Cash, 23 Nov. 2012
There's more Cash in HMV's browsers than when the man was alive and with more CDs to add every week the well is by no means dry.
In the film I Walk The Line you see Johnny Cash auditioning for Sun and being told they were not after Gospel yet once he was established he moved to Columbia where he began recording Gospel.
On this CD is a version of Roy Abernathy's A Wonderful Time Up There which Pat Boone had charted with in 1958 and of the now 4 Bootleg volumes this one is possibly the best

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soul of Truth, 6 Nov. 2012
Johnny Cash's real love was Gospel Music, despite his success as a Country & Western singer/song teller. This CD in the recently released bootleg series contains several unreleased gems in the Gospel mode.
One of these is Wings In Morning written and recorded by Cash in 1975.
Two different versions of Over the Hill are also contained here as well, another version was contained on Bootleg volume 1.
If you are a die hard fan of Johnny Cash with a love of Southern Gospel Music this CD is for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd, 2 April 2012
I have entitled this review as "Odd" because you cannot default Cash's spiritual commitment, but some of the musical backing is late 70s/early 80s over-produced, but Cash's voice over-rides this problem. Also, some more stripped-down versions of some of the songs exist on disc 2 of Personal File, and a far superior That's Enough can be found on 1959's The Fabulous Johnny Cash, with backing by The Jordonaires. Likewise, I'm Gonna Try To Be That Way can be found on The Johnny Cash show. Likewise Belshazzer and I Was There When It Happened sounded far better, more energetic, in 1955 than 1979/80.

However, that is not to say this set is bad, far from it. What On Earth Will You Do, Angel Band, and Wonderful Time Up There are excellent, soul-stirring gospel. Don't Take Everybody to Be Your Friend is also excellent. I would add that what the 2cd set also highlights is that Cash gospel is a broad church: you have the country, bluegrass gospel of Angel Band, and then you have Afro-American gospel of That's Enough and Don't Take Everybody.

However, another caveat is that some of the gospel on the 2cd set was done far better: E.G. Mavis Staples & The Blind Boys of Alabama really cook on Children Go Where I Send Thee: That's Enough likewise was done by Mavis and Billy Preston on an amazing Joe Henry produced album, I Believe to My Soul: He Touched Me was done far better by Elvis Presley as the title to his 1972 third gospel album, and Jerry Lee Lewis did a brilliant Keep Me From Blowing Away form 1973. I would also add that Linda Ronstadt also covered Keep Me From Blowing Away just as well.

I would also add that Cash's gospel comes across well on other albums: i.e. Hymns By Johnny Cash, Hymns From The Heart, Daddy Sang Bass from 1968's The Holy Land, He Turned The Water Into Wine from San Quintin, I Saw A Man from Pa Osteraker, My Mother's Hymn Book, and that these can be construed as better options.

However, I wonder what will be next for the Bootleg Series Vol 5: maybe outtakes from the Class of 55 sessions ? There must also be some unissued Jack Clement sessions knocking about ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Nov. 2014
This arrived in the time stated and filled a gap in my Johnny Cash archive

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Cash - one of his best, 8 May 2012
Fantastic CD with only a couple of tunes we had heard previously. Its often difficult to find a CD which isn't full of previously recorded songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Cash, 6 May 2012
Mr. Rt Brooks - See all my reviews
This album is very good, a lot of soul and gospel, but the second disc did it for me, he sings with many of the family members, and they are very catchy, played them in the car going to work, johnny Cash was a great artist,and liked by so many people.
Good quality for the a small amount of money, I would have bought the album for much more once i had played it, and probably before that.

Thanks for recommending the album, great work Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 2 May 2012
M. Ward-Ellis "maggie" (Shropshire,England) - See all my reviews
I bought this CD for my son's birthday,who is a huge Johnny Cash fan, and he absolutely loved it.Sorry I am unable to give a more in depth review of this CD, due to the fact my son is a boy of few words!!

5.0 out of 5 stars johnny cash, 29 April 2012
another great J.C.album added to my collection,a must for any Johnny Cash fan. what more can I say,just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars He's Alive!, 9 April 2012
Way back in 1983, I bought a long play record of Johnny Cash, "A believer sings the truth". I loved the songs from the outset and the record suffered from many repeated playing - I wore it out! Ever since then, I have scoured the record shops for another copy. Then I found this CD at Amazon. It is even better than the original record. The songs are truly inspirational.