5.0 out of 5 stars great music seldom heard on the radio
the output of our modern radio stations is narrowing all the time. The Songlines albums and annual awards at least gives some exposure to the wonderful varied music available in other countries
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars only good for cooking pasta
Published 23 months ago by aiya

2.0 out of 5 stars only good for cooking pasta, 29 Sep 2012
Having listened to this Cd, I can totally see why the reviews are bad. One minute into the last song, the reason i bought this CD, I went into shock at the jarring ugliness of the improv passages, which wasn't evident when one listens to the excerpts. I played the rest and I agree with the other reviewer that its unlikely I will put the cd on again for any sort of serious listening. It is going to the pile that I reach for when the pasta is cooking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Songlines doing itself no favours, 5 May 2012
DaveT (Tewkesbury, Glos) - See all my reviews
I am a long-standing lover of world music, my extensive collection going back to the early 1980s. I listen to no other music, and am a subscriber to Songlines. So to acquire an album suggesting that it contains music from the best of all releases in the past year and find not a single track that I want to listen to again is unbelievable. Some of the albums selected, such as Dub Colossus and Fatou, are ones I own myself, and yet the tracks selected are often the ones that would be one's last choice. Maybe this is due to licensing problems. This should be Songlines' showcase album of the year, persuading more people of the fantastic quality and variety of world music; instead, I can see any potentially interested purchaser put off for life. Music is a very personal thing and this compilation is stated as reflecting the public's choices, but I will stick to Putumayo's extraordinary range, where every album, even in genre that one has never heard of, always contains some inspiring new sounds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 26 April 2014
This is a great album with lots of diverse music tracks. Great way to experience differing music styles and learn new genres

5.0 out of 5 stars great music seldom heard on the radio, 27 Jun 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars More passion for money than for music, 10 Jun 2012
Over the years, I've been noticing how the distinction between editorial and advertising has become more and more blurred for Songlines. That's why Amadou & Mariam's new album cover was also the cover of Songlines; that's why fRoots back cover advertisement was Songlines' front cover; that's why the vast majority of features in the magazine have some commercial tie-in. Well, the Songlines Music Awards, and the accompanying albums, are no different. It's a fancy way of creating hype about the magazine and "increasing eyeballs". Yes it's a good publication, covering a lot of what others don't, but it's losing its grip on professional journalism.

The album naturally got great reviews in the Evening Standard etc. since those writers are also contributors to Songlines.

It's a mediocre compilation which fails to inspire. It's just another cog in the company's self-publicity strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Songlines awards CD to date!, 11 May 2012
I've bought all 3 Songlines magazine's awards compilation albums and this is by far the best. A brilliant round-up of the best CD releases over the last year or so. Made some new discoveries here with Khyam Allami and Trio Tekke and you just can't get enough of Tinariwen and Ry Cooder. Cracking stuff!

Songlines Music Awards 2012