on 18 January 2013
Just received my Sony Blu-ray 3D player on the Sony packaging it had on that there was plus + The Spider-man Trilogy and Spider-man 3D on looking there was no Blu-rays. Could someone explain where these items are? You don't get what it says on the box
review image
Style Name: With Wi-Fi|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I expected this to be a good Blu Ray player and it is. Puss in Boots (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [2012][Region Free] was as sharp as it was on my LG Blu Ray player. It was the quality of DVD playback that astonished me. On the LG DVDs look good, but on the Sony they look amazing. The player looks good and the remote control buttons make sense.

But this isn't just a Blu Ray and DVD player. Like most disc drives it does CDs too, but this one can also look up album artwork from the Gracenote database. I tried several well-known CDs and some came back with the cover art and track names and some didn't, but that's Gracenote's issue not Sony's. I didn't feel the actual on screen presentation of this was much good though. You can also plug the unit into a modem to get access to the BBC and Channel 5 players along with YouTube and a number of pay-per-view services. I was most taken with the 3D cinema previews you can get this way - the Men In Black III 3D preview looks amazing and I'd play it over and over again.

It also works as an internet browser, though without a mouse that's a tricky thing to manage - you use the direction buttons to select highlighted links, but sometimes the movement of the highlight area bears no relation to the button presses. Perhaps it's a gimmick, or perhaps other people will find it easier and therefore more useful than I did. I'll stick to the PC for my internet.

It also has Wi-Fi, which is something a lot of people will like, although I don't see what's wrong with a simple cable, so other people will be able to tell you how well the wireless system works.

The unit is quiet to run and the settings are easy to configure. Some of the secondary features are a lot better than others, but for playing of Blu Ray, Blu Ray 3D and DVD discs it is flawless and impressive. Switch the player off in the middle of a film and when you switch it back on it will resume from the spot that you left it. It's not 100% perfect: I wish the music player had been better supported with a full screen cover art and some visual effects as you listen. And I dislike the main menu which looks cheap and nasty - almost as if they've decided to go for the most functional arrangement of icons whilst displaying them in as low-tech a way as possible. Minor things really, but despite the room for improvement it's really good at its core function - that of playing your discs with as crisp a picture as possible.
on 27 December 2012
After two months with the BDPS490, I am very pleased with what I have bought. The BluRay picture is excellent, and it has happily read every old DVD from my collection that tried. The device is physically very thin, and fits excellently around the growing number of digi-boxes that have proliferated near the TV.

The connectivity for the internet (here Ethernet rather than the WiFi of the BDPS590) has turned out to be much more engaging than I imagined. The device comes with BBC iPlayer and LoveFilm, both of which I have used many times to great satisfaction. It also scans the local network for DLNA devices, and in our house it has identified a Windows 7 machine and the NAS box, so that we can watch video from those sources as well as see our digital photos and listen to our music collection. At under £100 this is a very cheap way to get this functionality on the TV, so having internet and BluRay together is a really good deal.

The only downsides are the speed of navigation and occasional crashes. On the former, I would guess that to build to this price you have to use a fairly puny processor and therefore a slow user interface is to be expected. On the crashes: iPlayer seems to be vulnerable to crashing the box when you come to leave the iPlayer app after watching something. To reboot the box you need to hold the power button in for a few seconds until it powers down, then click it on again. Hopefully future firmware upgrades will make this right.
on 27 February 2013
Was a little amprehensive at first to buy this item, considering I wanted a multi-region player for my DVD collection. This item is simply FANTASTIC ! and at the price, no one can complain. Had the item for a few weeks now and have had no issues. It is sleek and it is simple to use. The delivery of this item was super fast. I would highly recommend this seller for the speedy delivery and for the great item and such a great price. Anyone hesitate about buying from this seller, dont be, as I was and would definitely purchase from them again. FIVE STARS
on 28 January 2013
I purchased this to replace my WD TV Live, I was having a few issues where the player would randomly restart/crash and refuse to play files. I decided to just buy a dedicated Blu-ray player, surprisingly it supports nearly all the files the WD TV Live does. It plays MKV, M2TS etc.

The play is nice and quiet when playing back via Blu-ray disk, the menu is nice, it's not the fastest menu system but its not what I'd call slow either.

The player has loads of picture and sound settings, I was quite happy when I noticed it played back HD Audio such as DTS-HD via DLNA/USB, this is something the WD TV Live doesn't do, this player supports All HD Audio formats (You need to use HDMI and not Optical/Coaxial), so its a big Plus imo. It has no issue's playing back files via USB or DLNA, there were 2 MKV's that didn't play but after using TSMuxer to mux the file to M2TS it played fine.

The player also supports Lovefilm which isn't bad at all, it also support's netflix in 5.1 (Lovefilm isn't 5.1 unfortunately, there are some other movie streaming apps built in.

So overall the player is a bargain for under £100 imo, the sound quality is great, picture quality is actually a bit better than the WD TV Live. At this point there really is no point in going for the WD unless you really don't want a Blu-ray player.
on 30 July 2013
This is a good player. Very easy to set up and use. First test was a R1 disc which it played no problem, and then a Blu Ray which would not play on my old player and again no problems. Slim and light with lots of features most of which I haven't tried yet but those i have are easy to navigate to and use.
The only problem with the whole experience was the delivery. I received a text saying the product would arrive in 2 days, this was good as someone would be home to accept delivery and no hassle of re-arranging for another date. Day came and parcel didn't. I got another text the next day saying it would be delivered that same day. As no-one would be home I contacted the company to try and re-direct it to work, they wouldn't so tried to get the driver to contact me when he was on his way, again no joy. In the end had to take an extended lunch break to get home for the start of the delivery slot given. Due to traffic I was 3 minutes late and as I pulled up the driver had posted a card through my door and was about to leave. If they can only give an hours delivery slot the least they could do is wait 5 minutes for people to arrive especially when the parcel itself is a day late. So all in all great item poor delivery service. I would recommend to the seller to try and find a more reliable delivery firm.
on 18 May 2012
I bought this as an upgrade to an earlier Sony model, and as an all round player it's simply great - awesome video and audio quality and very easy to get setup. Stacked full of features it also still has SACD playback support as found on the earlier models.

The online services all seem to work without any problem - I don't seem to have experienced any freezing or glitching accesing or watching any content. It also seems to stream video flawlessly from my Windows Home Server via DLNA, including HD content without any problem at all - certainly seems better than the older model this replaces which used to lock up or suffer from stuttering playback on higher bitrate content.

Probably the only two niggles are that it's got a slightly odd shape (the angle and dim output from the LCD actually means it's difficult to see at a glance when the drive is sat on a low shelf under the TV) and build quality seems to have deteriorated - it's got a very plasticy feel. It also doesn't have wifi, instead Sony seem to want to charge either an extra £40-£50 for the S590 which has this built-in, or get you to buy a separate USB wifi adaptor which is pretty poor of them really, especially considering that the non-3D model below (S390) does have wifi built in!
55 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2013
This player was only £20 more than a Panasonic one I was looking at but offered a lot more smart features and was 3D so this had to be the one.

The unit is sleek and has a small footprint, remote control is below average in size but buttons are big enough to not give any problems, as it's Sony, the build quality feels good.

It has a huge selection of smart features, lot's of apps there from YouTube to BBC iPlayer. It also has a load of 3D demonstration stuff which we have used a number of times to demonstrate our 3D TV to friends.

I have tried Blu-Rays and 3D Blu-Rays through it and the work fantastically. I have a Sony combo DVD/Home Cinema system and I connected this player up to it using optical and 5.1 works great, really pleased that it does, not many blu ray players under £100 have optical out, it was a must for me.

DNLA stuff works good too, I can stream music from my Galaxy S3 or laptop to this unit, I can also access by NAS box from the unit, lot's of options there.

And to top it all off, I got Spiderman 1-3 on Blu-Ray and The Amazing Spiderman on 3D Blu Ray for free by sending off a redemption form, said up to 28 days, took about a week.

Brilliant stuff Sony.
on 17 November 2015
I bought this a year ago and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are a few issues which are really annoying, which I will go through.

The first and most annoying feature for me is that it is a real pain to resume where you left off when watching a Bluray. I have several TV series on Blu ray and if I have to turn off the S490 for some reason, I cannot go straight back to where I left off, unless I have set up the resume via the individual blu ray menu (which most Blu rays do not offer). So each time I have to manually find where I was last watching. I can't understand why this should be an issue because when I watch a DVD I don't have the problem.

When playing a Blu-ray there is a high pitch whirring sound, when watching the start of a film, this does subside after 20-30 minutes but is annoying.

The last reason is that to connect to the internet and get various features, you need to buy the ony UWA-BR100 USB dongle which is exceptionally expensive. This wasn't made clear to me when I bought the player (I bought it from Currys (more fool me)).

So overall I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this player, for all its features, its issues make this a very frustrating player to use
on 30 September 2013
Beware of sony smart devices. Dont be fooled by reviews or pictures on the box showing the iplayer. Purchased as an easy means of playing bbc content and a few dvds in a bedroom with no tv aerial socket this has been useless for bbc content for over two months now. Iplayer just disappeared from our sony dvd boxes a couple of months ago, with noreason given and no apology. Hasnt come back. A rip off.