on 10 November 2006
A reviewer of Flann O'Brien's 'Third Policeman' claimed that O'Brien fans would love Rankin, but that Rankin fans would merely be interested in O'Brien - or words to that effect. I can see where this is coming from - the Rankin style, replete with bizarre inventions and crazy goings-on in an otherwise normal world, is so close to O'Brien's as to be considered a bed-partner. However, the two are not to be confused. 'Triangle' is a truly cracking yarn, with some wonderfully developed characters and a crisp control of narrative rhythm. The dialogue is exquisite, each line seemingly laden with delicious fruits of wordsmithery. Indeed, Rankin provides such an entertaining read that I'm astonished he's not better known - where's the promotion?! I would heartily recommend The Brentford Triangle to anyone who wants to become immersed in a world of gothic tomfoolery. That said, my ultimate loyalty still remains with O'Brien. The stupendous twist at the end of 'Policeman', along with the existential questions it poses, is the kind of thing entirely lacking in Rankin's work.
on 14 January 2005
The second instalment in the now 5 book series.
I read this book far more easily and felt more immersed in it than the first. I think that is because I spent a long time in the first book trying to get a grip on each of the characters, each with their oh so normal traits, which are twisted to make them extraordinarily interesting. In this book I could go along with the story instead of concentrating on recognising who is who. (Though I still have trouble separating Omally and Pooley, they seem to merge into one distorted combination of weirdo's!)
The story is once again down to earth in Brentford, dealing with people you could pass in the street, but who are doing the most fantastic things. At least three stories seem to run through this book and it was a little way in before I managed to assess which was the main one! Though they twist and turn like they belong together. On one hand we have a new craze for the golf fanatics being played out in allotment Brentford, we have an extraterrestrial plot to take the Earth as a new home world and we have a crazy man who claims to have found some of Gods treasures.
All of it fantastic. I rarely laugh out loud at books, but towards the end I couldn't help it - this one really hit the spot.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2007
The Brentford Triangle is a stand-alone entry in to the myriad of novels that Rankin has centered around Brentford. The series hasn't really evolved much. They are still full of running gags, wry humour, clever prose and a multitude of oddball characters. The central characters are no stereotypical heroes, if anything their adventures happen to them, which of course is the lure of Rankin's work. The plot in Triangle is absurd, the action incredulous and it's a short enough read to keep it punchy. It's not as clever as later entries, but it's definitely worth a read, if you've any or none of Rankin's work you'll still enjoy this wacky, but not slapstick book.
on 9 February 2000
Robert Rankin's delirious humor is as sharp as ever in this second book of the five book Brentford Trilogy. Space aliens, video games, golf, and excorcism are all a part of this grand rollicking adventure. The influence of Flann O'Brien is not only obvious, it's absoultely fascinating to read the two back-to-back, as I just did. Rankin is arguably the most clever writer of Science Fiction currently writing, and I am looking forward to the day when America finally picks up on this and issues the books over here! If Terry Pratchett can do it...
on 24 May 2012
I have read pretty much all of Mr Rankin's books and enjoyed pretty much all of them two. I have to say, though, that the books featuring Omally and Pooley are my favourites and this is probably my favourite in the Brentford series.

It is hard to describe why I love this book but I think it is because very ordinary people are put in an absurd situation and yet it is not too hard to suspend your sense of disbelief and accept that it all happened.

I am not going to do a plot summary - the story is too much fun for a summary which would spoil it. Character wise, I can imagine every character in detail as they are so well defined. And if, like me, you like a glass or two the central characters will be right up your street.

This is not he sort of book that will appeal to everyone but if you like your aliens/magic novels to come with a heavy helping of comedy, great characters (that you can relate too) and a literary style that is pretty unique and entertaining in itself, give this a try.
on 17 July 2010
I love Robert Rankin's novels and the Brentford Triangle does not disappoint. His stories and characters are engaging from start to finish as well as hilarious. It is so well written and has me laughing out loud. If you have never read any of his books you must start today!
on 7 May 2012
I read this and all the original Brentford trilogy many years ago. I remember enjoying them so much I thought I would buy them for my Kindle. Still just as funny but with the added ease of reading them on my Kindle.
on 4 June 2013
The second novel I've read in the Brentford "trilogy" and a bit too like the first (The Antipope) but the endearing characters are just as good. Once again it's a cross between "Last of the Summer Wine" and Terry Pratchett and the antics in the Flying Swan pub are entertaining whilst the plot is ridiculous (intentionally). Very enjoyable though.

I'll now give it a year or so before reading number 3, but it will need something new to get me to read number 4.

If you've not read this then you are better starting with the Antipope.
on 9 November 2014
I read this out of local interest. I do not usually read fantasy but this is as much comedy as fantasy with Brentford in danger of attack from aliens. It has the cast first met in The Antipope. I do not know if the genre is growing on me but I enjoyed this more than the earlier novel. However I am still resistant to the genre so am not likely to read more in the series. But if this is your cup of tea, a very good cup it is.
on 8 November 2012
I have read this series of Mr Rankins books before and when I saw them being offered on kindle I couldn't wait to download the first one and start reading them over again. I wasn't disappointed. Made me chuckle just as much as the first time around. Brilliant writer! If you like something a little off the wall then this is your read. Looking forward to the next in the series.