on 1 June 2014
Ferrell plays a sweethearted by bumbling rancher down in Mexico whose family gets wrapped up in the drug trade with a powerful lord called El Onza. After an attack during a wedding, it's up to this unlikely hero to avenge his family's honour. Wackiness of a very certain type ensues....

More of a niche comedy than broad ha-ha-fest, 'Casa de mi Padre' relishes in the melodrama and cheese of over-the-top Hispanic soap operas. Yes, its story is rather thin, its dialogue woeful & bloated, and its presentation oversaturated, but that's how a lot of these shows actually are, and for that, it's a fitting and joyous pastiche. It's all here: over the top performances, continuity errors, overblown music, redundant slow motion, tacky production values. If you know these shows, it's right here, and it's a delight to see lampooned!

Of course, these ties mean the film does limit its potential audience, as most not initiated will not find much outside of these jabs at the tropes. However, not every film is designed for broad appeal, and for those who spent many an afternoon following these sorts of ludicrous and passionate love stories, 'Casa' should feel very familiar, and very rewarding. Hasta luego, amigitos!
on 21 February 2013
Despite the negative reviews I took a chance, subtitles don't put me off and I'm a big Ferrel fan. I will openly admit you're not going to be laughing out loud for much of this film but I really enjoyed its rediculous nature. Not sure how previous reviewers didn't appreciate the production values were meant to be low and that this is a parody of bad film. Give it a go you may well enjoy it as much as me and some of the other reviewers.
First the disclaimer: I love Will Farrell films. I hate the scenes that have Will Farrell in them.

This movie is a spoof of Mexican films. It involves drug dealers, ranchers, and a girl. The plot is immaterial. The fun aspect of the film is the fake sets, fake animals, fake special effects, bad editing and bad acting. This is all done by design. It would have been more realistic if we saw a boom mic lowered into the shot every now and then with a director yelling.

Because I didn't have to listen to Will Farrell in English, for some reason his lines were funnier and I was able to tolerate him. Make no mistake, this is a film for bad movie lovers. If you don't love bad movies, i.e. not a fan of MST 3000 don't bother with this film. Great film for Asylum lovers.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex? rear nudity. Only 4 stars. It still had Will Farrell in it.
on 2 July 2013
It wasn't at all what I'd expected, but once I got over the surprise/realisation that I'd have to continue reading subtitles throughout the film - I LOVED IT! I mean, Will Ferrell as a native Spanish-speaking ranchero - what's not to love?
on 29 November 2012
Whoever decided it was hilarious must be easily pleased. I think Will Ferrell is great, this film is a good idea and there were some laugh out loud moments but it's not his best. Worth watching though. 3/5
on 15 April 2014
muy bien.. great subtle humour, a wonderful parody. have a break from the usual hollywood ****.

I like when he blow smoke in the face of the jaguar!
on 22 March 2014
Not really funny or interesting or engaging ! I might of laughed once while watching it. I like Will Ferrell but this is not one of his good movies.
on 24 May 2014
The only downfall is you have to concentrate on the subtitles rather than Ferrell's epic facial expressions, hence I am watching again
on 5 August 2015
Absurd and funny. A unique and cheeky experimental mix of latin telenovelas and their parody. Not always hilarious, but definitely worth a try. cinematography and style are quite interesting
on 25 October 2012
I'm a big Will Ferrell fan but in no means do i compare this to his other films as it's completely different. Casa De Mi Padre is a spoof of telenovelas and classic Mexican westerns and is not supposed to be taken seriously. Great film but I would say avoid if you don't like subtitled films.