on 4 September 2012
Bought this player as a replacement for a Sony DVD player I have had for years. First thing that struck me was how small it was, half the size of the Sony deck it was replacing. The tray is hidden behind a drop down flap and I am slightly concerned that this could get broken as it's not very sturdy.

I turned the deck on and found it really easy to setup, plugged in the HDMI & Ethernet cable, turned it on and my screen and network settings were done in 2 mins. Tested it with a DVD (Revenge of the Sith), picture quality was good and the start up time was not really noticeably slower than the Sony its replaced. Then tested Dark Knight Blu Ray. Again, fast start up, movie was playing within 30 secs. Excellent picture quality. As a first time Blu-ray owner I'm probably looking harder for the differences, but it really is very good. No time to play with the picture settings, but I'll do that later. Only thing I noticed was that its a bit noisy with some discs but I'm sure some Blutack or something could help sort that out.

I then plugged in my external HDD. The player found it and played almost everything I could throw at it. Photos looked good too, not that I will use it for that much anyway but fun to have. Didn't bother with music files but the option is there.

This player is also really easy to make multi region for DVD's. Applied the settings, put in my R1 Kill Bill and all played fine. I'm putting this in so that people can save money and not bother with the £30-£40 mark up that seems to be applied to this player when sold with DVD MR capabilities (the Blu-Ray region cannot be changed though).

All in all, very pleased with it.

Positives: Simple to set up, quick loading times.

Negatives: Disc Tray seems a bit fragile. Cannot program the remote for non Samsung TV's.
on 26 June 2012
Hi this is a basic blue ray player. ( but this is what I wanted ) It plays my DVD'S well easy to set up. Iam rubbish usually at these things but wasnt a problem...Great for thoes that arent that tec...
on 8 September 2012
I was going to buy a new DVD player because I bought a new AV receiver and surround speakers. This was nearly as cheap as a good upscaling DVD so I got this instead. I have no interest in the network features of Bluray players, because I already have a Youview box and the Onkyo receiver does DLNA. Which is good because this basically hasn't any network features - the poor Youtube support doesn't count. It will update its firmware over the network though, which is handy.

As a basic model this performs very well. It starts up quickly (certainly under 10 seconds), has easy to use controls and a decent well laid out remote. The picture and audio quality is brilliant. Upscaling is good.

It's a bit noisy! It doesn't bother me because it's in a cabinet with closed doors, so I can't hear it. It might bother you otherwise though, depends how sensitive you are to these things.
on 23 September 2012
This is a fantastic blu-ray dvd player. The quality of picture is great. It is extremely simple to install. Basically you just plug it in and it more or less does itself. The price for what you get is excellent.
on 4 February 2013
A Samsung Blu-ray player for £50, not often you get a recognised name for this type of price. Excellent picture, sound, can link to other devices via usb. Please note this does not have wifi, so if you want to connect to the web you will need an ethernet cable to plug into your broadband hub.

Another thing, it doesn't come with a HDMI lead which I think is a bit daft as you can't use it without one (well not with a TV anyway). For the price though who cares you can pick up a decent HDMI lead in Home Bargains/B&M for £2.99.

On the whole a great blu-ray for the price.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This Samsung BD-E5300 is Samsung's budget player, for those not wanting a selection of online content this is a great player to pop under the TV to play Blu-Ray and DVD.

The player is very easy to get going and once plugged in and connected to the TV it is ready to use - and like most Blu-Ray players it doesn't come with an HDMI cable so you'll need to get one ready. This is the sort of player perfect for someone with a simple set-up rather than a home cinema system. I recently reviewed the Samsung BD-D5300 which is a more expensive model but performs better, however - my parents love this player as it suits their needs perfectly. There is some expansion available though via the USB port on the front. I have watched some video files which were stored on an SD card by plugging the card reader into the USB port - the playback was good overall but I did notice that some films had sound-sync issues with mouth movements not quite matching the speech, and on some .MKV files the audio codec wasn't recognised. I suspect that most wanting a budget player are unlikely to want to use it in this way though.

Picture quality is very good when playing Blu-Rays and those used to `just' a DVD player will notice the difference when their DVDs are upscaled. This player doesn't have access to the Samsung Apps online feature so there is no BBC iPlayer, LOVEFiLM, or Netflix streaming. It does have access to Youtube however - but the interface is a bit fiddly compared to the website and searching can be a chore. Youtube has a lot of content but not necessarily stuff you want to be watching on TV, unless you really want to watch YoutTube on your TV it's probably not worth hooking it up to your router via Ethernet cable.

In a nutshell: It's not the quickest of players but it's quicker than many other more expensive players I've seen - this doesn't do a lot of stuff that more expensive players do, but if you want a no-frills player to simply watch Blu-Ray and DVD then this is a good purchase, but LG make similar spec players for a bit less (the LG BD650).
on 5 November 2012
When I purchased this item, i was not sure (because it is so cheap compared to other blu ray players) that whether this item will be able to perform well with latest blu ray disks.
I am using a Samsung LED TV. Trust me guys, this player delivers an amazing performance. And I do not know how, but I can control this blu ray player with my Samsung TV's remote control. All the latest Blu ray disks play very nicely. Forward/backward does not lag.
I am really happy with the item. Very good performance.
If you are on limited budget, then do not hesitate to buy this item. Its low price tag does not hamper its performance.
Buy it with confidence. It won't let you down.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 February 2013
Brilliant product! Great Price. Purchased this product to replace my 10 year old Sony DVD player.
It was also going to be used to play movies from my 700MB portable hard drive, as i was using an Xbox for this but was having issues with the MKV format. I undertook a lot of investigation and could not find any reaeson to buy another player.
Will not use the internet on the player as i have all the apps on my Virgin Box so wireless was not needed.
Plug the player in and it was all set up in less that 1 min. DVD upscale is great and easy to use,my 6 year old daughter mastered it with 5 mins. Connected hard drive and BR player found it strait away. plays all my movies in lots of formats ;)
Overall very impressed. so impressed that i have now purchased a £32 Samsung DVD player for my daughter room as it also comes with a USB connector for the hard drive. Simples!
on 15 November 2012
Bought this in May. I was impressed by not only the sound and image quality of blurays, but also the quality of upscaled dvds. The player itself hums and whirrs a bit at the start of watching a disk, but soon quietens down after 6 or 7 minutes. By September it had ceased to work. Half way through a dvd (not a bluray) the sound and audio cut out to a black screen. That's the end of my review - the rest is just a moan about Samsung's near-epic abominable after-sales support.

I logged a fault with Samsung online support, who sent me instructions on how to upgrade the firmware, obviously not having even read read the problem description I offered them.

A week later the player was picked up - I assumed a replacement would have been left, but no. A month later having heard nothing, I checked the status and left a new online message asking if they were having any success. I received a message back saying their engineers were having difficulty replicating the problem, which given the troubleshooting i performed with multiple HDMI leads and televisions, I found to be highly unlikeley. Another couple of weeks pass and I send another message - this time with no reply. Another several weeks go by and i write them a polite, yet annoyed message asking if there should be someone else with whom i should be dealing, given their lack of any communication.

Several days later I get a call from a courier wanting to arrange for delivery of a bluray player. When they eventually turn up (2 days late, after my wife had spent two days in the house waiting for them), a man turns up a the door to 'collect a faulty bluray player'. Seriously.

Samsung clearly don't give a tuppenny damn about me as a customer and are presumably too big to worry about losing me as a future purchaser of their products.

So there's my review/moan over. I'm going to buy another (non-samsung) bluray player on amazon. If anyone has any recommendations please send them on.

UPDATE: 8 December
The player finally arrived about a week and a half after my review - I wondered if Samsung actually pay attention to Amazon reviews of their products. Anyways, now it plays with a very annoying high pitched whirring noise the whole way through a disc. Think I'll go back to LG.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 July 2012
I bought this product as a replacement for my previous Samsung upscaling DVD player which had conked!

I haven't watched any blu rays on it yet as I don't have any but I wanted a bluray player rather than a dvd player for if friends bring blurays round for us to watch.

The dvd upscaling is a massive improvement on my previous dvd player and the quality is very good for both old and new dvds. The sound quality is good too.

It is very noisy when loading and playing but after a while you get used to it and I tend to get so engrossed in the films I watch I don't notice it whirring and clicking anymore.

Nice little buy. Happy with the purchase.