4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying horror - quite creepy in parts
Published 4 months ago by Mel Powell

1.0 out of 5 stars New Stephen King-My Eye!!!!
Obviously touted as such by a lazy and desperate PR department. No way do this author's books even touch the worst product of The Master's coke-and-booze addled period.

Published 5 months ago by Cryptoresearcher

1.0 out of 5 stars New Stephen King-My Eye!!!!, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)

I bought this remaindered in The Pound Shop then realised I had read the author's Apartment 16 and not enjoyed it-in fact it was a slog to get through his over florid descriptive paragraphs.

I gave this a go though, and it wasn't that bad-but there were several points that really tumbled it down the rankings-

First, why does the deus ex machina mysterious millionaire keep telling the main character is the only one who can do the job and that he will find out the reasons? This plot point goes nowhere-it just drops to one side without any resolution. I thought the protagonist was going to prove to have a link with the cultists, but no the whole plot point builds and then never goes anywhere.

Secondly, why does the second lead just drop out presumably 'vanished' towards the end, then we get a third person intervention telling us he has survived but then plays no further point in the story. Were we supposed to be upset at his presumed demise?

Third, why did the Finger Mouse character never suffer from any of the footage he saw, as everyone else connected was directly threatened by the paranormal characters?

Fourth, how in the hell did the downstairs neighbour looking after the protagonist's cat not hear him running, screaming, throwing furniture about, and finally flinging himself out of a window after fighting with one intruder, without her WAKING UP?!

Fifth, what happened to the cat?

Sixth-it introduces a new character mere pages from the end who we are supposed to root for, and care when he dies horribly-why not have just kept the second lead? The same thing happens to the other moviemaker-introduced and then dropped. Bad bad plotting!

Seventh-(and I realise I'm going on a bit here but this stuff is BUGGING me) the big bad turns out to be a non speaking character dying in bed after all that? It took me all that reading to get to THIS?

My final observation, the author cannot write a satisfying climax-Apt 16 also suffered from this problem-this one just ends with the main character realising he may be in a spot of bother, and making a phone call-no resolution, no epilogue, nothing, zip zilch, nada.

No more Nevill for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars No proof reader ?, 9 Jun 2014
I'm sorry, I'm a geek.

But could the Publisher not employ a proof reader who knew that a Glock is a Glock and not a Gloch ? I mean come on, a two second googling could have cleared that up.

That aside, this novel promises a lot which it really fails to deliver. Some great ideas, some occasional scares, hampered by plot devices that never tie up, before degenerating into a sub-Aliens / Resident Evil shoot out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying horror - quite creepy in parts, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
This is the second Adam Neville novel I have read and although there are some mixed reviews, I personally found this a very satisfying read. I do enjoy the genre generally but like to think I am discerning. Quality of characterisations and descriptive prose can be lacking but not in this authors case. Creatures in the walls, spectres in the shadows; cults and their cursed survivors; creepy locations and a life and death chase to end the terror that takes us to locations spread over two continents. Is it far fetched? Yes of course. Does it matter? No. It's a horror story. They are all far fetched. No such thing as ghosts, goblins, demons or monsters! It's escapism and it's success hangs on the ability of the author to draw you into his creation and keep you engaged. And if you find yourself peering a little too closely at the shadows cast by your bedside lamp and reading a little too much into the benign nighttime creakings of your humble abode, it scores 4 stars and a thank you very much, job done! If you prefer your horror to get straight to the gory bits without much scene setting etc. the style may not be to your taste and you might side with reviewers who think Neville drags in places. Not my experience at all. Read it over a weekend. Could have put it down but didn't want to!

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb first half but disappointing second, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
When I started reading this book I thought it was superb, exactly the type of horror book I love, eerie tense supernatural, more 'evil presence' rather than a 'monster book'.

But am only giving 3 stars because the second half lost my interest, it got a bit predictable and almost boring. also in the later part of the book the lead character's dialogue started to grate by annoyingly repeating phrases like "I can't take much more of this" and "I don't think I can go on", which went on far too long and didn't add anything IMO.

If the second half of the book had been as good as the first half then it would definitely be worth 5 stars, as it is I was left a bit disappointed given the promising beginning.

I don't like saying negative things in reviews, the author is obviously very talented but needs to keep the quality up throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
Another brilliant read from Adam Nevill. What a pleasure to find a horror author who is also a stylist; his effects are built up over the course of the novel to reach a fantastic pitch at the climax. Neill's heroes are often faintly unlikeable and it's a measure of his success that this doesn't prevent me from feeling an agonising sympathy for their sufferings.
Really, Nevill isn't the writer for you if you like the quick shocks afforded by John Saul, for example. If you are a more serious reader who isn't daunted by a guide who takes you on a journey through his houses of horror (as opposed to a quick shove down the cellar stairs) then he is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as scary as The Ritual, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
Bought this for my mate, since he was kind enough to lend me The Ritual, genuinely the most terrifying book I've ever read bar none. Widely touted as the British Stephen King, I'd have to say Adam Nevill is equally imaginative, but in terms of sheer sleep-with-the-lights-on-for-the-next-week-ness, I'd say he's more comparable to Graham Masterton.
Highly recommended to anyone who loved The Ritual, or those who enjoy starting out on an innocuous and enjoyable journey that quickly descends into knee-tremblingly, heart-stoppingly, terrifyingly inescapable conditions during which our hero witnesses mind-bending strangeness and everyone's very soul is in peril...this is for you with highly polished brass knobs on!

4.0 out of 5 stars He keeps improving, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Last Days (Kindle Edition)
This si the third novel of Adam nevill I ave read and he has improved with each book. Although the story is a slow burn to start with, this work to its advantage. The atmosphere created in the ealry chapters is dark and foreboding. Yes, there is some repetition in the description of the appearances of the 'friends' but it puts a chill up your spine nonetheless. The slight problem is it goes a bit 'Hollywood' in the final chapter - more action movie than horror. Having said that Mr Nevill is fast becoming a favourite of mine and I look forward to his next release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Supernatural Horror, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
I have a special section in my bookshelf for Adam Nevill and it's not just because of the quality of his writing. The publication of Banquet For The Damned in 2008 marked a transitional point in the evolution of the current crop of British horror writers, the start of the current golden age in my opinion. Adam Nevill was, of course, the editor of the short-lived, but much admired, Virgin Books horror line which saw the horror section in bookshelves expand overnight. My copies of those books are treasured possessions but times move on and Nevill's follow ups have been just as influential in re-introducing supernatural horror to the masses. From the ghosts of Barrington House in Apartment 16 to the pagan Scandinavian wilderness of The Ritual, Nevill has consistently delivered quality horror fiction.

Last Days tells the story of Kyle Freeman, an independent film maker, struggling to make end meet, who is made an offer he can't refuse. Wealthy media tycoon Max Solomon wants Kyle and cameraman Dan to investigate the mysterious cult, The Temple Of Last Days which ended in bloody tragedy in the Arizona Desert in 1975. Initially the offer seems too good to be true but given his precarious financial position it's not long before Dan and Kyle are off to interview the few people left who were involved in the tragedy.

Of course, it turns out things were too good to be true and our unlikely heroes soon find themselves embroiled in a much deeper, much more dangerous tale of supernatural happenings which stretches back for centuries and is still very real.

Last Days for me was a book of three parts. The initial sections were perhaps the most engaging as Dan and Kyle begin to feel the influence of the supernatural in more and more lurid encounters. The drama escalates quite quickly as the boys' film-making becomes a fight for survival. The pace changes somewhat as the depths of the threat are explained through some protracted exposition in the middle section which is all fascinating and well constructed but just appears a bit slow after that thunderous start. The final few chapters bring us back to full speed though and the ending is suitably tense and fulfilling.

As always, it is the threat that engages most in Adam Nevill's work. Drawing on the ghost story traditions of the likes of M.R. James and Arthur Machen, Nevill creates a realistic occult storyline on which he hangs his grotesque monsters. And what monsters they are, working beautifully as they slowly emerge from vague threat to full-blown horror and our protagonists realise the full extent of the crisis they find themselves in.

I don't think this is Adam Nevill's best book but then he has set such high standards for himself. The main characters are interesting but some of the lesser characters seemed a bit weak and stereotypical (I'm looking at you Jed) this coupled with that tendency to exposition in the middle section knocked half a point off the total score but don't be mistaken, this is still a very good horror novel and one which fans of the supernatural should purchase without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scariest Book I've Read, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
While reading this book I wouldn't go to the tolet in the dark! I've watched hundreds of horror movies and read hundreds of books and nothing has freaked me out like this book has. It is THE book that did what all others have failed to do: scared the crap outta me. It is also THE best book I've ever read. I can't reccomend this book enough. READ IT! If you love horror and ghost stories this is the book for you. It makes Blaire Witch feel like the Teddy Bears Picnic! I'll definitely be reading it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to read more!!, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Last Days (Paperback)
Absolutely loved it!! I could not put it down and I was genuinely frightened when I turned out the lights!! I have not read any books by this author before and I can't wait to read more!

Last Days