4.0 out of 5 stars Take time to think - and unplug
Published 20 months ago by Steve Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars How to Thrive in the Digital Age
Published on 18 May 2012 by Claire Field

4.0 out of 5 stars Take time to think - and unplug, 21 Jan 2013
I found on first reading this book, I was a little disappointed. I think I expected more depth from a series called 'The School of Life'. However, upon a second read of the book, I realised the power of the book is to act as a springboard to generate your own ideas and conclusions. As such, this is a great book. I found it to be an interesting (and quick) read that made me think about how much my digital world intrudes into my real world. My main take-out was to consider how much time I spend in front of shiny gadgets vs. time with friends and family, then take steps to redress the balance. As the publishers say, it won't give you all the answers, but it will stimulate you to form your own.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this book for three reasons; 1) it's a thought provoking read that invites you to reassess your relationship with the digital world 2) it is a quick and interesting read that is easy to dip into for reference or to generate new ideas and 3) it has numerous useful links to great websites to help make life easier and some very interesting further reading (particularly if you're a SciFi fan)

4.0 out of 5 stars Play and the Internet City, 4 Jun 2012
Mark "Trainer, Facilitator and Coach" (Neath, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Thrive in the Digital Age (The School of Life) (Kindle Edition)
There are two concepts in this book that really appealed to me, the value of play and the metaphor of the internet as a growing city where no one is in overall control.

There is a lot to learn from the value of play and why we enjoy the reward of online gaming so much. The idea of more feedback and ways to track and recognize progress were most useful to me and have great application in training and development.

The metaphor of the current state of the internet as a growing city with it's many districts makes the whole concept easier to understand. Just like a real city there are the business areas, many social meeting areas, plentiful entertainment and also the less reputable ghettos (well covered in the book) - which it's good to know have much less screen time than the doom mongers predict.

Overall I liked this little book. I agree with an earlier review that a little more detail and a few more stories would have added the finishing touches. The one advantage of a less scripted journey is that I felt allowed to find my own meaning in the ideas and on reflection this may have been the author's intention. I think the book will appeal most to the generation that has grown up alongside the digital age/internet and want to find a healthy way to stay connected in both the virtual and real worlds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Defines the problem, 27 Jun 2014
Amazon Customer "AngieT" (NORTHANTS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
but does not go a long way to offering a solution. Still a very interesting read. Will try some mroe in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret santa for the technophobe/phile!, 29 Nov 2012
I really enjoyed the format of this book which allowed the reader with less time (and a short concentration span) to dip in and out but also to easily look back to sections of interest. Working in a profession (medicine) which is being dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming and being one of the more youthful members of the profession it gave me lots of useful and relevant information to help persuade some of my colleagues that moving towards computerisation is in fact a positive progression not a descent into ignorance. In fact I've just bought another copy to give to a colleague for secret santa and hope some christmas reading leaves him rather more open minded!

3.0 out of 5 stars How to Thrive in the Digital Age, 18 May 2012
Some really interesting ideas are touched upon in this book but it is rather short and doesn't explore them in depth which is a great shame ... Just because the book explores the digital age which implies we have all become accustomed to brevity and digging in and out of interesting snippets when browsing the internet, that ideal should not have been applied to the book and doing so makes it fall short.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 23 July 2013
Nothing ground-breaking here to be honest. It covers fairly interesting ground but simply goes over what we already are aware of.