3,170 Reviews
 (1,869)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!
A great follow on to Fifty Shades of Grey. I was gripped from the start and was not able to put down this copy either. I loved how the story unfolded and that you learnt more of Christian's character. I can't wait to read the final instalment of the trilogy and I am hoping that it will be as good as the other two books, if not better.
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by Samantha Orchard

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 9 Jun. 2012
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
I loved Fifty Shades of Grey, despite what everyone said about the repetitious nature of the prose and the parlous dialogue. All of which was true. The story however, was fresh and interesting and sexy enough to keep me intrigued. I liked the fact that Christian and Ana's relationship was quite complex, and psychologically reasonably interesting. I finished the book and immediately bought the two sequels because I really wanted to know how Christian and Ana's relationship played out.

I wish now that I hadn't. The sex is slightly less vanilla in this book, but that is all that has changed, and what was intriguing has now become dull and predictable.

1.0 out of 5 stars I like BDSM, 14 April 2013
M. J. Bailey (Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like BDSM.
Not into hurting people I care for, but I do like the effort to make sex a mental activity rather than a purely physical one.

I don't like 50 Shades Darker. it made me feel angry.
Angry that 5 days after dumping the distinctly uncharismatic Mr Grey she lets him boss her around again.
"Eat Ana"....so she eats. Why doesn't she does tell the arrogant swine to leave her alone?

Commands and control can play a role in consensual BDSM, but when you are only meeting for lunch it's just plain rude. And although his power and riches might seem exciting, can you imagine having his children? He would be too busy empire building to bother with them, and if they did anything wrong he would probably crucify them.

I know doms who are lovely and treat their subs with respect. Ms James's so-called hero should really be behind bars as a menace to society. The book is once again badly written, badly thought out, with a string of highly annoying repetitions. With a dialogue which is so unrealistic as to be laughable.

I forgave all that in 50 Shades because it introduced BDSM to a wider audience, and hopefully refreshed a few wavering relationships. But once was enough. This book is illiterate and does great disservice to the kinky community.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Hype - Falls Flat at page 2., 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
Well, what can I say! I was one of those who bought into this hype. I read the first book, and found it informative (not my cuppa, but each to their own); I was more interested in the romantic element of the plot. I must admit, the first book left me very curious as to whether they would be together in the subsequent books. (SPOILER ALERT) Suffice to say that after finding out that Christian does love her and wants to marry her, that was it for me! For me, that is the end of a love story!

There isn't enough substance in the plot to keep me interested after that. As for character development - it is quite unrealistic. I supposed I was looking for a simple love story a la Steele or Collins, but really, I should have just bought Steele or Collins, at least there is more intrigue, the language used is more varied, unlike EL James' ubiquitous 'Oh my'. It is extremely irritating!

This book, for me, fails at quite a few levels that a good book should be at. First, the plot is thin, as it doesn't really develop in this book. It goes around in circles. Second, I don't care about the characters. Third, the language used is quite juvenile, almost insulting the ability of its readers. Lastly, if it trying to explain BDSM, it probably introduced it in the first book as this book offers nothing new. You are better off 'googling' it.

I was too hasty in buying the last book as well. I find myself not able to pick it up. Alas, I don't think I will read it. This should not have been a trilogy. It should have ended at book one.

I've wasted my money - don't waste yours! Go and read The Hunger Games - much more entertaining!The Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set

1.0 out of 5 stars repetitive, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
The first book was OK, - just. However the second book was so repetitive it was boring. After reading accounts of their 'lovemaking' several times a day with little variation I Just thought "oh not again"!! I just wanted to have a STORY! how on earth can anyone find this interesting or exciting? I won't bother with the third, 2 is well enough!

1.0 out of 5 stars I dont understand!!!!!!!!!!!, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Kindle Edition)
OK, here's the thing. I don't ask a lot from my books. Just to have a half decent story and be reasonably well written. I read (and quite enjoyed) the Twilight Saga for Pete's sake! That's why I wasn't exactly expecting a literary masterpiece from the 50 shades book, but I admit I'm a bit of a sheep and wanted to see what the hype was about.
I genuinely don't understand how anyone of average or above intelligence can see these books through! The repetativeness of it is actually shocking. If the constant oh my, whoa, or holy crap/cow/moses didn't have you wanting to tear out your own eyes I don't know what will.
Cocking heads. Think back to the last time you ever saw someone actually cock their head. Poor Christian must have whiplash the amount of times that guy cocks his head in a day! Moving on, calling each other by surnames. Who actually does that? Yes it might be comical to call the other half by their surname when being formal now and then but every day? Really? Go home tonight and start calling your partner by their surname and see how long it takes them to ask you why your being "weird".
Next, the sex. I admit I was looking forward to this bit having no experience of bdsm myself. For a book that is supposed to be about something so taboo, you would assume the author would figure that the audience would be over 10 years old and would therefore refrain from referring to Anas vagina as her "sex". I'm willingly reading a book about bdsm. I think I can handle the word vagina.
I get that Mr Grey is the hottest guy alive. I was told every page in the first book his eyes are smouldering gray (ah, and his name is Grey, look how that worked out!) But I don't care who you are, it is impossible to have earth shattering orgasms every time a certain man looks at you.
Oh the fullness! Whatever love.
Finally the sickeningly lovey love in the second book. I love you, I love you too, dont leave me, I won't leave you, you might leave me, well you might leave me, I'd die without you, well when we broke up (for 5 days ffs) I nearly did die, please don't leave me, I will never leave, you own my body and soul (because people actually say things like that) always, I love you always. I think I threw the book at the bus driver at this point.

1.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades of Boring, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
I read the first book, and it was ok in it's limited way. Quite readable.

Then I started on this second book and it soon becomes clear than 90% of this book is a rehash of the first book. All the same phrases, all the same sex scenes. It just becomes boring.

Now, I like sex as much as the next red blooded person but you do find yourself skipping over the sex scenes in this second book, mainly because they are exactly the same as the first book.

Someone else wrote in a review that the author should buy herself a thesaurus, and I would agree. The same words and phrases are used time and time again. Perhaps it's the fault of the editor not to have picked up on this, but it does become annoying and, yes, BORING!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades Darker, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Kindle Edition)
I have read the whole trilogy and none of the three books have delivered for me. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers, Ana's identity lurches from American to English as we read, it just isn't one thing or the other. Ok there's plenty of sex in this but to call it a Romance is rather stretching things. I had it in my mind that Ana would be Christian's salvation, that they would end up having some great emotional connection. Instead it seems she became his 'thing' enjoying what he did to her, greedy for it in fact! Then there was the eye rolling and lip biting, the sooners baby, the e-mails, the detail in the contract he expected her to sign. All of these just began to annoy after a while. But worst of all was the thin, predictable plot and how can a young girl share a flat with a friend with a healthy sex life and not know ANYTHING about sex??? I really wanted to enjoy this, but found it totally wanting.
Of course, many readers are posting reviews saying how great these books are and in the end it's all down to indivudual taste. Sadly for me, I thought the story had great potential but this seemed to be lost in page after page of descriptive sex. Sorry but it has to be said, this whole thing is a triumph of hype over substance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Literary trash!, 4 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Hardcover)
Childish, immature, pathetic, sick (what is E L James' obsession with fingers in orifices!) Apparently these are her fantasies conjured up in her mid-life crisis! I hope the world opens it's eyes and a backlash against these ridiculous books gathers pace. They are completely ridiculous, but also with a nasty side to them that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh My .... My Inner Goddess is screaming for mercy, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
OK I confess ... I read 50 Shades of Grey and thought it was pretty poor so quite WHY I bought this book I'm not sure (you know how it is - supermarket shopping, sun shining, wanted a light 'garden' read).

The sex scenes are amongst the least erotic I've ever read - Not only was there no 'muscle clenching south of my navel' going on (my libido was busy running as fast as it could in the opposite direction)I found myself being more interested in seeing if there was a page without at least one of the following phrases: 'Oh My', 'Holy Crap', 'Oh', 'Inner Goddess', 'Subconcious', 'Foil Packet' and 'Shattered (there isn't).

The characterisation is two dimensional and cliched, the plot is as diaphanous as one of Ana's (designer obviously) nightgowns, the language is repetitive, un-realistic and irritating and the writing is beyond poor.

I've never read the Twilight series - Oh My, how I wish I could say the same of the 50 Shades books.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like this book, then get a life!, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Kindle Edition)
This is easily the worst book I have ever read (Amazon did not permit me to submit zero stars - it really is that bad!). I read all three in the hope a story, a plot, a twist, something would emerge; but there simply is no story; the characters are weak and have no substance; it is supposed to be saucy, but after reading the 50th sex scene with the same couple it felt very much like watching an old couple shagging; the use of alternate and naive words used to describe the body, to less offend, became annoying; not to mention the continuous reference to an inner goddess.

I have seen a reference to Jane Austen, clearly an insult to talented British writers - her characters held essence and knew what was expected to survive in that day-and-age; however, she herself never married in the knowledge it would not make her happy.

I think the author must have lead a very sheltered life if this is what she thinks turns women on - I might have enjoyed this book when 12 years of age, even as a teenager I would have considered this purial. Looking at the number of reviews it seems there are thousands of unhappy unsatisfied women out there. I would otherwise not waste my time writing a review but I fear this type of tat and dribble encourages a new generation of young minds to waist their life waiting for prince charming. Women who banked all their hopes on men only to end up stuck with their kids, scratching around to make ends meet; in loss of their precious youth, when they could have been pursuing their `real' dreams - we all know them.
I was annoyed that I spent my money on this book, but in retrospect I thinking the author needs every penny so perhaps she can finally get a life.

Fifty Shades Darker