on 9 January 2013
Good motherboard, incredibly good bios, easy to set up and sure looks nice. I'm very impressed with the motherboard so far, I'm using an Intel Core i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, GTX 560Ti and the CiT Vantage case (blue).

Can't fault it at all, the three star review somewhere around here should be interpreted as 5 star, the overclocking support on this thing is unparalleled for its price.
on 23 October 2012
Had this a few weeks, running a Core i5-3570K.

Physical installation is reasonably straightforward, my main complaint would be the board is slightly smaller than ATX, and so only uses 6 chassis screws. The front few cm of the board with the power, memory and SATA connectors are therefore on the unsupported section that extends beyond the front 3 chassis screws. This means it bent more than I'd've liked when inserting the modules / connectors, I supprted the free edge with a finger in the end.

Everything is well labelled, though routing all 6 SATA connectors and 3 USB2 headers to the same part of a case may prove a challenge if you do want all of them. Spec-wise it's fine, on the plus 6x HDD, 4x USB3 and 10x USB2 and more PCi connections than cheaper boards, on the negative only one full speed PCi 3.0 lane (limits cross-fire) and no IDE legacy support. There are no USB front or backplates bundled with the board so out of the box you only get 2x USB3 and 4x USB2, but you do get 2 SATA3 cables.

Driver installation was a pain hence the 4-stars. This was mainly due to poor CD design rather than the drivers themselves. You seem to have only 2 options, install everything including some Symantec bloatware or install drivers and applications one by one, which involves alot of reboots. The second route took far longer than it should, even on a system that can reboot to Windows in 30s. A few also gave the "This driver did not install corrrectly" error in Windows 7 x64 - which is a bit unforgiveable seeing as the OS pre-dates the board by at about 3 years.

In the end though, UEFI BIOS is a pleasure to use, and the Windows apps seem well featured.

Overall, a decent price and spec with some minor gripes about board layout and driver disks. To compare with other boards check Tom's Hardware, which reviewed it alongside boards costing at least £20+ extra and decided it came out only slightly behind them.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2012
The P8Z77 V LX is an excellent choice for the price, perhaps there are more feature-rich boards for the same price out there (namely from Gigabyte and Asrock) but my previous phenomenal experience with Asus products and software support dictated this purchase. Board works as intended, also verified for Windows 8 (which I am currently running) and Asus delivered WHQL Win 8 drivers amazingly fast. Haven't had the chance to test lucid virtu in windows 8 environment yet as it is not supported at this time.

Offers great variety of settings in Bios, especially as far as overclocking and fan setup is concerned although users may want to invest in better cooling for their components and case if they decide to go that way, mainly CPU since the board lacks any sort of coolers on the capacitors like Asus's Stack Cool. Also lacking is IDE device support, so I had to throw my old DVD and floppy (!) drive (yes I still had them in my case), SLI (some paltry Crossfire support where slave card runs at 4x, NOT recommended for dual card setups) and eSata port, though you can always use USB to attach external interface combos.

All in all, a great board for the price intended for simple builds. People into overclocking looking for a mainstream board may want to check ou the P8Z77 M for better passive cooling capacity, if mATX is your thing that is.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've run an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and overclocked AMD XP for many years without a problem, so as it was time to update, an ASUS motherboard was my first and only choice. The P8Z77-V LX supports the i5 and i7 CPUs, with up to 32GB of DDR3 memory, good integrated grapics (if you're not a gamer) and audio and USB 3. Even with cheap Altec Lansing speakers connected to the computer, the Realtek integrated audio is really good (21 May 2013 driver); it reproduces the standing waves and harmonics of Tibetan singing bowls 33bowls_morning.

Reasonable overclocking is easy and, the BIOS graphics are a step change from how things used to be. It's easy to flash a different BIOS and ASUS EZ Update appears to update the drivers.

The BIOS screen shots in the ASUS manual are poor greyscale copies, so it better to check the settings on screen without changing anything whilst reading up on the various features. ASUS motherboards have good facilities for updating the BIOS and I've never had a problem until March 2014 when an apparently successful flash would not re-boot. This motherboard has BIOS recovery as well as the usual routine such as shorting out the CMOS jumpers and removing the battery, but none of those worked. In case this happens to you, there is a company called Grains BIOS-Repair in Wales (they are on Google) who will sell you a new BIOS chip for this motherboard and many others at a very reasonable price. As I type this, my system with new BIOS chip and stock memory is happily running with the CPU at 4.17GHz.

My system works very nicely with an i5 3570K CPU and 16GB 1600 MHz memory set as dual channel. A good workhorse with ability to be pushed a bit more.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2014
This board does most of the things it says. It has good performance and isn't the quietest of boards all the time, with some of the chipsets getting a little warm causing fans to go mad sometimes.

I have encountered an issue which I thought to be a 'feature' early on, but had ignored it as it wasn't a problem. 2 of the RAM slots are indeed faulty and do not detect any ram in there. This unfortunately are the A1 and B1 slots, so dual channel memory mode cannot be enabled. I thought it was originally because of a mismatched pair of RAM, but having tried to upgrade the RAM (a year later after warranty has expired) I have found that I can't just add in 4 sticks. This is very disappointing and I will want seek to replace the board as soon as money allows.
This appears to be a known fault and if you search it you can find several examples of people having this issue.

All in all, there are similar boards out there from manufacturers. I would recommend you avoid this one due to known faults in them, although you may get 'lucky' and have a working one. It's not worth risking however when there are other boards and manufacturers without this issue for the same price and general reputation (Gigabyte, Biostar etc.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2013
I'll tell you what's not in the specs: fast boot, <1 second POST. Full featured BIOS, great chipset and GPU and most important: the 12V plug is closer than other motherboards so you don't have to worry about having a too short wire.
on 29 May 2012
If you need a decent Ivy Bridge board for a reasonable price this is the one you want. Some features and connections have been cut from the more expensive models but it still has more than enough to make this version great value. Third gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series CPUs are fully supported and will make the most of this board but Sandy Bridge CPUs are well supported. The new UEFI bios is nice to work with to, it functions more like an OS. If fiddling with the bios isnt your thing the auto setup is more than adequate, although if you want to make the most of things like the GPU acceleration and rapid start features you will need to adjust settings.

Fortunately the manual is also superb, 55 pages of detailed images, layouts and instructions for all the features.
on 27 December 2012
Works like a charm, good build quality compared to some other motherboards I had tried before this one! No hint of the dreade reset loop that plagued the z68 either.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I got this board to replace My Asus P7P55D, to house my new I5-3570. I'd been impressed with the stability and performance of my existing Asus board so was very happy to stick with them and having looked around this board compared very favourably.

The board has everything I need, from a couple of Sata 3 connections (and 4 sata 2 slots) PCIE-3 for when I'm ready to upgrade and onboard video connections (due to the CPU having an integrated GPU) - ideal for testing before installing my GPU and if not being used for gaming.

Installation was straight forward. I noted a comment here about the board size meaning there are only 6 screws so I made sure I had installed my RAM (as well as cpu and fan) before I screwed in the board, so I wasn't putting pressure on the edges except for the light push needed for the sata cables.

I had it all and running quickly. I was able to just run with my existing SSD running Win 8 and it reconfigured itself for the board and CPU no problem, though a fresh install is often best for an optimal config I am finding things running very well.

The BIOS is full of options and features and very easy to navigate, making configuration straightforward.. I found it easy to locate where I could change my hard drive and boot options and had quickly configured what I required.

It's worth noting the install disk didn't work for me in Windows 8 but that there are a number of downloads available on the Asus site to make up for this.

Overall I'm very impressed, excellent board at a good price.
on 23 November 2013
I recently built my first computer, and through a few days of comparing motherboards. I came to the conclusion that this is probably the best motherboard I could get for under £100, and I wasn't wrong. Simply great. The build quality is unparalleled for the price , sufficient USB ports, and USB 3.0 ports display ports etc. and overall just feels almost high end. Okay the onboard sound isn't that great but you cant argue for that price, plus, nothing that a mid-end sound card won't fix. I am currently running a Core I7 3770K, with 8GB of Corsair vengeance RAM, and have had no problems since purchase. would definitely recommend for any budget or
even mid end builds or Ivy Bridge users. Great M/B.