4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of a Debut
This is a highly addictive album that has been on repeat in my car for over a week now. The delicious harmonies created by the male and female leads conjure up flavours of the Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire and create an ethereal feel to this fine debut. If you like any of the above then this is well worth checking out.

Highlights include the...
Published on 4 Sept. 2012 by S. C. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music but not such a good vinyl release
I like this band a great deal and this album is very good. But the vinyl version is poor. Not 180 gram and the 2nd LP was warped from the supplier. These things of course happen, but I think it is related to the thin quality pressing. The music did not sound great either so overall a bit disappointed with this vinyl version.
Published 14 months ago by M. D. Watts

4.0 out of 5 stars A Monster of a Debut, 4 Sept. 2012
S. C. Martin (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)

Highlights include the singles `Dirty Paws' and `Little Talks' and the band is definitely at their best when in full folk flow (or flowk as I will now call it). That is not to say that the slower, more introspective songs are not interesting or well crafted. Indeed, the song 'Love Love Love' with the line `you love, love, love when you know I can't love,' hints at a darker side to the band's writing and is a welcome contrast on this generally upbeat and pop-fuelled album.

All in all this is a fine debut. I am just disappointed that I missed them live in London recently. Ah well, I'm sure they will be touring on the shores of this green isle again in the near future. Here's hoping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indie-Folk at its finest, 4 Oct. 2012
Mr. Robert J. Lowton "rOBERT l" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
OMAM is one of those rare albums buried deep beneath the thousands of offerings that come into the charts yearly. In one sense I am glad the band hasn't yet reached acclaimed status in the UK as finding it alone is worth more than any chart position.

It's one of those albums that can be played in 15 years from now and never gets old, fans of Neutral Milk Hotel and Sigur Ros will instantly connect to this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new talent, 5 Aug. 2012
I heard this band on Dermot O'leary's show on Radio 2, and first play of 'Dirty Paws' had me hooked. That was enough to make me want the whole album, and honestly there is not one duff track on it. It's a lovely refreshing sound and a bit like Mumford & Sons. Definitely worth a punt.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
A varied but always absorbing album. Some beautifully haunting tracks and some up beat, that work well as an overall album

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling tracks!, 28 May 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
'My Head is an Animal' is an excellent, quirky little debut album from indie band Of Monsters and Men. If you like artists like The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons - it is well worth checking out.

Filled with boisterous fun and slower sensitive tunes which are perfect too chill out to, I was instantly addicted as soon as I started playing it. Both the male and female singer have distinctive voices, and the soft arrangements are very appealing, making the songs appear almost fairy tale like.

The album has spawned three singles: 'Little Talks' (UK top 20), 'Dirty Paws' and 'Mountain Sounds', and I have to say that whilst they are the generally the ultimate attractions, that's not to say that you're just as better off buying the singles, there are plenty of other highlights on the album to hear.

Each track has a good sound, a catchy melody and unlike a lot of seemingly instantly catchy new music out there at the moment, the novelty of this band's folk rock sound doesn't seem to gradually wear off after a short while. A keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD- highly recommended, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
After their hit Little Talks in the chart I thought I would spare a fiver to see if they are a one hit wonder- I can happily say there not! Each song is strong within itself and "grows on you"- I am actually listening to it now! What a brilliant little band, lets just hope they keep making relaxing, catchy and brilliant music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Feel Good Music, 28 Aug. 2012
D. Reynolds (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
I first heard of 'Of Monsters and Men' following the announcement of the Reading & Leeds 2012 line-up and gave them a listen and was instantly hooked on their album. 'Dirty Paws', being the first song on the album, had me hooked as it compares it to Arcade Fire with other influences apparent throughout the rest of the record including Mumford and Sons and Sigur Ros. Despite this, they manage to create their own unique sound with Nanna and Ragnar's vocals being terrific all throughout. I'd pick out a few favourites but the whole album is just brilliant.

They're also a fantastic live band as proven at Leeds Festival and will probably become very popular in the future.

It's so refreshing to hear these guys being played out on the radio and seeing them in the charts as opposed to Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and all the other trash that is 'popular' these days.

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album - worth listening to on repeat!!!, 27 Oct. 2012
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Am enjoying the current wave of upbeat folk and Of Monsters & Men is a great band with good camaradarie that comes through in their songs. Have seen them live a few times now and never tire of listening to them or watching them. Love this album - poetic and upbeat. Great songs - all of them! My fave is King and Lionheart but each one is a quality track - that I can personally listen to over and over again. I'm a bit old-school and enjoy listening to an album in its entirety and I can do that with this album without any urge to skip forward. Glad to see they're getting the recognition they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 4 May 2012
I have had this album for 2 weeks now and i can't stop listening to it. This icelandic band are very unique in the sounds they produce and their vocals intertwine on a new level.

I highly recommend it!

5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Aug. 2012
D. Allton (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Saw them at this years Reading festival, first thing I did when I got back was by this album. It's brilliant and they are extremely good live as well

My Head is an Animal
My Head is an Animal by Of Monsters and Men (Audio CD - 2012)