Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 23 October 2012
Having enjoyed both novels from this author I decided to take a chance and read her latest. I wasn't disappointed. Far removed from her previous two, Ms Karlsen takes you on a journey of conspirators, smugglers, rogues and murderers. Golden Chariots is an underwater adventure that takes you into the exciting world of archaeologists. Charlotte has been given a chance to dive in a newly discovered wreck that has been found off the coast of Turkey, near Troy. Exciting because it is a rare discovery of a ship sunk during the time of the Trojan War. The wreck may contain proof of her highly controversial theory about the Trojan War. It just so happens that her wealthy family have contributed to various digs in the past and some think that she may have been given the opportunity because of it. She wants to prove everyone wrong. Tall, dark, handsome and somewhat arrogant, Atakan works for the Turkish Ministry and is also assigned to the recovery dive. He partners Charlotte and they both get involved in.......

Well lets put it this way, I do not provide spoilers. I highly recommend this novel and will be watching for future works by the author. I give it another 5 star because it deserves it.
on 5 November 2012
Charlotte, our heroine, is a nautical archaeologist working on an ancient wreck near Troy when she meets Atakan Vadim, who is assigned to guard the site for the Government. Both he and Charlotte come under suspicion when the former agent is murdered but a building love interest grows between them.
Karlsen builds a believable and very interesting view of Turkey and shows a knowledge demonstrating both first-hand acquaintance of the area and a painstaking attention to detail.
Charlotte's family are benefactors of several archaeological digs and she suspects that people assume she was given this opportunity only due to their generosity but she is determined to prove that she can stand on her own two feet but she hadn't reckoned on falling in love with the dashing Atakan.
Golden Chariot is like a holiday in the sun but with the touches of excitement, danger and a believable love story as well.
Well worth the read.
on 27 March 2012
I found this in some ways difficult to read; but my main frustration is in not knowing 'why'. The story is a well-crafted thriller, set in an unusual background (unless you're a David Gibbins fan), and changes pace effectively to illustrate the different scenes. It is not easy to be objective when criticising a book with such 'rounded' characters: some almost over-defined, while others are sketched lightly; in accordance with their importance. There were parts I felt were perhaps unnecessary in terms of the overall story, but nothing I could point at and say, "that's just 'padding'". Maybe that is the mark of a 'very' good tale; in that I actually found myself questioning my subjective preference in terms of writing style. "Golden Chariot" expanded my usual reading boundaries, and I would honestly recommend it.
The book makes me want to read more by Chris Karlsen and, even if I have dropped it's rating from the five stars it deserves, to four stars (purely for 'subjective' reasons), I suggest that is the mark of an author worthy of note!
on 29 June 2012
I was blown away by Golden Chariot. Not being a big thriller readers or a romance fan I thought this may be a bit of a slog - I was so wrong!

Karlsen's writing style is impeccable. She is not afraid to let the story breathe and take its time to get where it is going and then at the drop of a hat change gear and leave you sitting on the edge of your seat.

The main characters, meet under a stressful situation and there relationship develops naturally from suspicion to friendship and finally love. The little details of this progression are totally believable.

I particularly liked the underwater scenes as they excavated a wreck on the sea bed. It was so evocative that you could believe you were down there with them.

A truly recommend this book and will be reading more from Chris Karlsen in the future!
on 22 May 2013
this book was the first time I've read any books by this author and I enjoyed it immensely, although the treatment of the two women, although pertinent to the storyline was slightly too graphic for me.
however i've downloaded the next book, and look forward to more with these characters.
on 1 December 2014
Good, well paced thriller, lots of action and whodunits together with interesting accounts of the exploration of an underwater wreck site and insights into how Turkey protects its archaeological sites. A few loose ends left, and a few unlikely events but overall a good read.
on 30 November 2014
Really good. Couldn't put it down.
on 11 August 2013
I really enjoyed this story from start to finish however, the spelling leaves a lot to be desired as it is written by an American and they are unable to spell properly, have made up words and ones that do not exist. however, despite this it is a really good read that was well researched and credible. I would recommend this to anyone interested in history and archaeology.