on 20 May 2012
Did a lot of research before buying this. I ran out of space on my iPhone sometime ago & was getting fed up of having to delete stuff off before being able to add something else on. I looked into the Kingston alternative but that wasn't a huge amount of more space (I have a lot of video) & not expandable. The Seagate Satellite Go-Flex looked good but for every good review there was a bad one so I held back from buying one although it seemed the better solution compared to the Kingston. Then, by pure chance I found out about the Airstash. I looked at the reviews (there are loads on Amazon.com) and took the plunge. I have an iPhone 4 & an iPad 2 and it works great with both. Download the free Airstash App on iTunes - it works really well. You can use their web browser too but is is not as slick (you will need it however to set your 13 digit WEP key initially). Here is a run down of the pros & cons:

Pros:
-It is very small (bit like a fat USB stick
-If you run out of space on the SD card-just pop another one in. You don't need to switch it off to change cards, just stop any current tasks-pop the card out, put the new one in & click the 'refresh' symbol on the Airstash App
-It works GREAT, my videos streamed really well with no noticable deterioration on quality. It also remembers where you are in a film & will ask you if you want to start from there or go back to the beginning which is cool.
-It will stream to more than one device
-It works in conjunction with Goodreader amongst others. So far I have downloaded an MP4 file and pdfs into Goodreader, than transferred those to the Airstash.
-It takes any type of SD card, including the latest SDXC cards which can go up to 2TB. (However the largest available at the moment I could find was 128gb)
-As the Airstash will take any type of file (playback of files is only limited by the device's limitations) - if you want to play other formats such as AVI files or FLAC files for example, you can download apps such as OPlayer which to play such files stored on your Airstash on your iPhone/iPad etc
-It will charge using your iPod USB mains charger:-)

Cons:
-As it is wider than a normal USB stick it can block access to other usb ports if they are in close proximity.
-As the Airstash is essentially WiFi router, as soon as you connect to it, you are disconnected from your home WiFi network. (This is being looked at in a future firmware update I believe)
-The Airstash currently only supports WEP - but does support WPA2, which is also promised in a future firmware update.
-Says it works
-Obviously, it takes a little more time to watch a video for example, than if it was already on your device. The steps would be: (1) Turn on Airstash, (2) go to settings & select the Airstash wireless network (if at home, if out and about it will pick it up straight away so you can skip this sep) (3) Open Airstash app (4) Select file & play

In short, this is a great piece of kit. In the past I have always bought the largest capacity device as I worried about running out of space, however now I will just get the smaller size that will take my music & apps and store all my videos on my Airstash.
on 20 June 2012
There I was stuck with my iPad and no way of quickly transferring files from my PC to iPad and vice versa. What could I do?

I then read an ad in a iPhone & iPad magazine which informed me of this remarkable wireless memory stick..

So, straight to Amazon I went to get it at the lowest price, matched it with a 64Gb memory card (it comes with a 16Gb but I needed more space) and awaited delivery.

Once charged up, I was away.

My computer found the drive and I copied a number of files successfully.

Next, to test if it could really copy to and from anything wirelessly.

Yes it could. No hassles, no configuration problems, just found the wireless signal and away.

You can't copy from the Air Stash while connected to another wireless network but, as you can simply plug it into USB in appropriate equipment, that's not too much go an issue. It's so quick and easy to swap wireless connections on the iPad anyway, again, it's not really an issue.

The firmware can be updated, too and Maxell have said that you soon will be able to both copy and be on your usual network with a future update.

Who would have thought that something like the Maxell Air stash would have come along to rescue those using devices with no connections?

I was thrilled to discover it and now thrilled to be using it. Recommended by this subscriber for certain.

Maxell Air Stash 16GB Wireless USB Flash Drive

Platinum 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card - - 177119
on 27 February 2014
This device needs a better battery, 3 hours of streaming video and it ran out.
I bought his device thinking that I would be able to store movies on it and then drag them over to my ipad when I wanted to watch them. This is not possible with movies downloaded from iTunes which means you have to stream them from the device but you won't get enough battery time to watch more than 1 or 2 films.
I will be looking to purchase one of the other wireless hard drives on the market, which are a little more expensive but come with 1TB of space and up to 10 hours battery life.
on 18 April 2012
Used it with the new ipad. Simply wonderful. This device downloads and saves files from an iPad without needing a USB drive. It sees all the photographs taken on my Samsung pixon 12 phone microsd card that the iPad camera connector kit could not see at all. Don't bother jail breaking your iPad to use the camera connector kit as a USB port, there's just no need.
on 17 August 2013
I researched the Airstash thoroughly before buying it from Amazon. After deciding that it satisfied my requirements, I purchased it and Amazon delivered it with the usual promptness and efficiency.

It works with all the platforms I currently use namely: OS X, FreeBSD, Linux and iOS 6. The free app available on the App Store is good overall allowing for two-way data transfer between iPad or iPnone with the Airstash. There are several alternative iOS apps such as FileBrowser, GoodReader and WebDav+ that work satisfactorily with the device. FileBrowser is particularly good in that it :

i. shows available album art when streaming music
ii. allows data transfers and directory creation
iii. allows documents such as those created in Pages, Keynote and Numbers on the iPad to be opened or saved directly from/onto the Airstash.
iv. allows files to opened via another app.

The Airstash uses FTP and WebDav as networking protocols as is specified in the free downloadable PDF instructions. WebDav is widely used and on a Mac for instance you'd use the 'Connect to Server' command in Finder. Here, the content is read only as it treats the Airstash as the internet itself. But if you want to make the Airstash writable, Cyberduck is a must have application. With this application, your Airstash becomes a pocket server/cloud. I have been able to access the Airstash as a server on FreeBSD and Linux also.

The battery yield is impressive, around seven hours. The device can be charged via the USB interface with a computer with USB 2.0 or above ports or by means of a 5V USB charger -, not supplied.

I have only one word for the Airstash -, indispensable.
on 7 July 2013
Every once in a while I come across a new tool or device that fits a niche market and I find myself asking why nobody thought of this before.

However, the first point to note is that the product description is a little misleading in that the 16GB version which I bought came with a 16GB SD card and had I known then I could have saved myself some money and got the 8GB version. I did purchase a Transend 128GB SDXC card at the same time anyway solely for the purpose of using with the Airstash.

Following the help guide provided I did a firmware update so that it supports WPA2 and I also downloaded the app for my iPhone. I copied a few movies and mp3s onto the card and gave it a test run. The documentation advises connecting to the device's wireless but entails that you disconnect from your existing wireless network (if already using one) although the firmware update did introduce a feature whereby I could put in my routers details so that I could still maintain wireless connectivity to the internet whilst streaming.

You are advised to browse to the devices inbuilt URL to see your files which works well on both Apple and Android devices although I tend to use the app on my Apple devices. They haven't done an Android app (yet). One plus about the app was being able to able to backup my photos onto the SD card whilst away from home and not having access to iTunes. Much quicker than using Dropbox or similar service I found.

The music played fine as did the videos although there was a problem, although they were only about 20mins duration at HD, they tended to stutter or stop around 17mins in. I tried again on the iPad with the same result. The problem wasn't with the device rather the speed of the supplied memory card.

Repeating the same test on the faster memory card worked perfectly once I overcame the next problem which was formatting the SDXC card to FAT32 so that it could be read to see the full capacity of the card. Not a problem having following the helpful knowledge base article on the Airstash website.

A previous reviewer made a comment that the build quality wasn't very sturdy and I have to concur with that opinion. I can see how it could become broken around the USB plug part after much use if not careful. I was going to try and reinforce or superglue around the joins of the case to ensure that it lasts a little longer when I suddenly decided against doing so in case I need to replace the battery in future.

Sadly the battery is according to AirStash "a non-­replaceable rechargeable lithium polymer battery". Not sure if this means not replaceable by them or not replaceable as in they are hard to come by but I await a response from them.

In summary despite the odd quirks I rate this quite highly but I would say that this product is still going through some tweaks and so periodically check the Airstash website. I'm not too sure that I would recommend it to the non-tech savvy though.
on 19 March 2014
I brought this as the reviews were good and although not an IT expect I can manage most things.

The problem lies is this product is old stock and it's firmware needs updating but I failed to do this despite help from all the support centres. The machine refuses to update. The on-line have been good and replied in a timely manner but to no avail. Now the product is not even registering on the computer and so as advised by the support centre I have contacted Maxwell Europe as it is faulty. Its on going and am happy to update this review but buyers be aware.
on 8 November 2012
Much as I love using my iPad, I am only too aware of the memory limitations as there is no means to use extra memory cards. This is not usually a problem for me except on long flights or away from home or on vacation etc. when I want to watch a movie. The Airstash with a 64 gb memory card allows me to take dozens of movies to while away the time in the air or on the ground. If you need extra memory, this is a superb addition to your traveling entertainment.
on 16 August 2013
Pro's:
Quick and easy to set up, works really well with my ipad.
Images load almost as quickly as if they were on the ipad.
Streams video really quickly.

Cons:
Build quality could be better, I agree with another review that the usb plug does
wobble around. Care is needed when plugging in to a usb port and taking out.
Price is a bit on the high side. Other products now available do the same thing at lower cost.
on 30 June 2013
I bought the Airstash with the 16Gb card and also bought an additional 32Gb card. This product does everything it says on the tin and the wireless is excellent allowing me to pick up the signal upstairs when the airstash was downstairs. The only down side is that you can't use the iPad AV lead through the app but you can get around this by accessing the Airstash hardware through Google Chrome. Great Product