5.0 out of 5 stars A My Bloody fan from the start
Published on 24 Nov 2004 by Mr. R. Murray

1.0 out of 5 stars after all this time... manufacturing errors?
this is my favorite album of all time, so the music is worthy of 5 stars, but what is inexcusable to me is that in the 3+ years this project has been in the works, no one has bothered to do even basic quality control.

the labels on the discs are reversed -- as noted in other reviews. even more egregious -- also as noted in other reviews -- is the fact that...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by too_old_to_be_so_indie

5.0 out of 5 stars A My Bloody fan from the start, 24 Nov 2004
Mr. R. Murray "roomurray" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
A group of five friends saw My Bloody Valentine in Exeter in 1990 (1/2). I had listened to the group for years before, but had never seen them. I was completely blown away by their performance (and background video - very windows media player screensaver experience as I remember). Two of my friends left after being blown away by silverfish,the support band, but the rest of us experienced what was to become a spine chilling, once in a life time experience (and still is, thinking back to it) - The only problem with the concert was there were so few there!! I'm pleased to say I was there to see one of the last performances of group
Buy this album and listen while watching media player screensavers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars When you wake you're still in a dream, 5 Feb 2006
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
This is quite simply one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. Nothing else sounds remotely like it, even other MBV material. I bought it back in 1991 when it first came out and it has rarely been far from my turntable/CD player/iPod over the last 15 years.
Imagine it's early morning and your alarm clock has gone off. Then you realise it's Saturday and you don't have to go to work. You turn the alarm off and roll over, not quite awake, not quite asleep. The feeling you have at this point is what "Loveless" sounds like.
Buy it.
Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loveless, 10 Sep 2006
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
Well...this album is definitely something different. It is simply hard to describe something so beautiful and something so good.

Were to start...

I first herd of MBV when i saw the You Made Me Realise video on MTV2 ( something which is extremely rare as i quickly found out) . I was left completely gobsmacked . At first i didnt know how to react . At the time my musical taste was confined within the borders of Muse and The Beatles (although they still remain one of my favourite bands). Soon after that i forgot about it and a few months later i was watching top 100 albums of the 90's on MTV2 again and at some point i saw a very strange song called Soon beeing played . The band was once again MBV and i was once again left completely speechless . It had to be the strangest music i've ever herd . By then i was determined to find out more about this band . Over the following year i have listened to tracks like Only Shallow , Feed Me With Yr Kiss and Blown A Wish.

So i bought loveless.

It is simply one of my favourite albums (that and Isnt Anything by MBV and Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth-check them out ) . I dont know what does it . Kevin Shields's And Billinda Butcher's calm vocals?the layered guitars and distand drumming? the strange surrealistic lyrics?

it still remains a mystery to me.

All i know is that this album is simply perfect

MBV touched the heaven with this album

some people of course dont get the music of MBV . My sis thinks its noisy boring loud music with monotounous vocals. Ofcourse i dont get the point of death mettal and disposable pop music (fegie , britney , paris hilton etc) but i guess no one has the same tastes

anywayz

juts buy this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 3 Feb 2001
Sick Mouthy (Exeter, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
The cover has a picture of a purpley-pinky-bluey guitar, all fuzzy and warped and psychedelic. This is the only album I have ever heard that sounds EXACTLY how the cover looks. And it is brilliant. Turn it up and it's an astonishing visceral thrill, turn it down and it's a soothing, redemptive balm of sound. Gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal reissue, 31 Aug 2013
I'm a new MBV fan, having just gotten into them upon ordering this release a few weeks ago. I'm not going to waste time rambling about how great the album is, but instead how great the reissue is, since there are a lot of mixed reviews about it on here and I'd like to help clarify things.

First off, this album turned me into a MBV fan instantly. Wow, what an album. It got me to purchase their others right away. It just shows that anyone can be turned on to any band at any time, no matter when their music came out. Now, about the reissue. When I first popped Disc 1 into my CD player, I found the sound to be a bit flat, so since there was the luxury of a second disc with the same material on it, I put that one in to see if it would sound any better. Oh, it did. Way more dynamics and a wall of noisy guitars surrounding the listener even during the quieter tracks.

Now a lot of the mixed reviews bring up the fact that the labels on Disc 1 and Disc 2 are actually mislabeled. Disc 1 is stated in the booklet as being digitally remastered from the original tapes, and Disc 2 is supposed to be a new analog master, but from my listening experience, Disc 2 does indeed sound like the digital remaster that Disc 1 is supposed to be. Another issue that people have with this is the supposed "glitch" that you hear in "What You Want" on Disc 1 (the analog master). Personally, I favor Disc 2 whenever I listen to this album so I haven't given Disc 1 a fair listen, but even if there is a glitch, who cares? If Kevin Shields had reissued this album with just the digital remaster, there would be only praise about it, because it sounds really good. I haven't heard the original 1991 CD, but from what I've read on message boards, apparently Disc 2 here is that, but a little louder. That's fine by me. It's not overly loud, and if you listen to it on a good pair of headphones, you'll be submerged in the gorgeous shoegazing soundscape of MBV for 45 minutes, and be proud that you bought this reissue in the end. And I'm sure if I do ever get down to listening to Disc 1, the glitch probably won't bother me that much. It's not that big a deal, guys. Stop giving an excellent reissue such negative reviews.

By the way, the reissue of "Isn't Anything" sounds just as good, and their new album "m b v" is just mindblowing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Bloody Valentine - The redefinition of noise, twenty years on, 20 Nov 2011
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
Have really 20 years past since Kevin Shields and co firmly planted the sonic terror "Loveless" into the hands of Alan McGee at Creation Records? The record owner had by that time been driven to distraction working with the band and promptly dropped them from the label. He has attacked them ever since describing their reunion in 2008 as "nostalgic cabaret" and has recently compared Shields to Charlotte Church! There must be some latent sympathy with the tortured McGee since Shields perfectionism was legendary not least as he attempted in a Brian Wilson-esc fashion to get the sounds in his head transplanted into a studio context. The result would see days of the band locked away producing nothing on tape and Creation record executives barred from the recordings. Indeed more latterly the oft promised and almost legendary remaster of "Loveless" has been subject to more delays than the Arriva timetable with some eight release dates promised in the past 18 months. Many doubt it will ever appear, but it begs the question does it need to?

"Loveless" despite its chaotic genesis is as a near as damn it to rock perfection that you will find on a vinyl disk. This is a record devoid of guitar solo's, simple chord structures and traditional melodies. The clear intent behind it was to deconstruct the standard rock song by overlaying it with a plethora of manipulated sound frameworks and audible intransigence. Shields use of backward reverb, barely audible drums, swirling and twisted guitar instrumentation and all other kinds of studio wizardry was brewed up in to a sonic stew which sometimes borders on the overwrought but often is touched by the gods. The whole thing evades categorization with the term "shoe-gaze" a convenient label that no longer fits. Let us start at the end since the epic final track "Soon" that prefigures the baggy dance-oriented music of the Happy Mondays and Stone Roses yet its glorious seven minutes is much more than a mere precursor. It starts off with a drum roll, bursts into action and then that famous coda begins leading to a massive cacophony of Shields "glide guitar" and the erotically sweet vocals of one of rocks best singers Blinda Butcher. Jump back to the opener the revolutionary "Only Swallow" where you are literally soaked in the huge wall of sound that literally smashes into you ears. When this record was first placed on a turntable in 1991 the needle was set to the beginning since your reviewer thought this couldn't be right? Repeated listens however engulf you in the legend of "Loveless" with the chiming "Loomer" coming close to the best song the Cocteau Twins never recorded. Equally the blurred effect on the leviathan that is "To here knows when" took months to record and it is hardly surprising that some 18 engineers worked on the totality of this record. It was sadly too much for my beloved father who one day in the early 90s questioned my sanity as the repeat button was again pressed on this stunner for the umpteenth time. Lighter relief is provided by the poptastic "When you sleep" with its indecipherable Shields vocal and of course the sheer innovation of "I only said" which seems to float above all the undulating guitar distortion created by the Irish maestro. Sophia Coppola's "Lost in Translation" has turned the song "Sometimes" into a movie classic as one of the best celluloid/music combinations ever. The lost expression of the glorious Scarlett Johansson riding in neon lit Tokyo taxi is an image, which burns on your consciousness. Finally there is the sadness of "Blown a wish" to soundtrack all your heartbreaks.

For many then "Loveless" is a bleary dream for others it's a fuzz noise laden nightmare. Coming out in 1991 the record often draws comparison with Nirvana's "Nevermind" in terms of impact and yet the only record that possibly matches "Loveless" peerless innovation is the earlier "Marquee Moon" by Television or "The Velvet Underground and Nico'. Kevin Shields has never come close to matching this, although he has since enigmatically stated that to him the record feels like a "half formed version of something that could have happened which could have been a lot bigger". What is the absolute truth is that the BBC was unconditionally right in their review of "Loveless" when they stated "there really wasn't, and still isn't anything quite like My Bloody Valentine".

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
This was a interesting buy for me. After hearing "Sometimes" on the Lost in Translation OST, I knew that I loved this band. This has to be one of my more impulsive buys. I bought both Loveless and Isn't Anything after hearing only one track.

But I have no regrets. This is the sort of album you can put on in a dark room an just sit there in awe for about an hour, just letting their stunningly gravelly soundscapes wash over you.

If you are in any doubt about which album to get if you are new to MBV I would definitely recommend this over Isn't Anything, but both album will impress...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh sorry, i drifted off...., 24 May 2004
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
Before I heard 'To Here Knows When' on The Nations Compilation on Lamaq Live, I had been living on a diet of safe and reliable music, never straying too far from the constraints of Radiohead and the like. It took a while to register, I was tired at the time, I couldn't comprehend what I was hearing.
I still can't to this day.
Well, I went out and tracked down 'Loveless', I ended up getting it on the net, but when it finally arrived, it totally changed my slant on music. 'Loveless' is a hazy, dream-inducing wave of sound, with irresistable melodies, interwoven with barely there vocals, and pulsing drums. I had never heard such use of the electric guitar until I heard My Bloody Valentine...Kevin Shields rather than Matt Bellamy is my guitar idol now, and always will be. Nothing really seems adequate in comparison with this, not these days. Maybe other 80s greats such as The J&MC, The Pixies, The Cure, and others can (especially Disintegration, Robert Smiths masterpiece)...but until someone creates music that can make you tap your foot, whilst drifting off (Soon), music that can deafen you and make you smile (Only Shallow), and music that can take you to a different world alltogether (To Here Knows When), then 'Loveless' will have to do.
Someone once said in a review that 'Loveless' is like being back in the womb...but if it is, then I'm a Buddhist being reincarnated, because I can still feel heaven...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Difficult Masterpiece?, 25 Aug 2012
This is a classic album, no doubt about it, but I'd like to say a couple of qualifiers here. In answer to the people who bought this having never heard MBV beyond their reputation who don't get it - fans of MBV don't like this to appear cool, show off to their friends, be "muso" or owt like that. MBV were one of the "big 3" indie/noise bands of the 80s/90s (Sonic Youth & Jesus & Mary Chain being the other 2) & in terms of alternative music created 2 unique LPS & 4 EPs, with their sound evolving to what you'll hear on this LP - a blend of noise & melody the likes of which had never been heard before and hasn't been since (not for want of trying by their many imitators, including Ride who wouldn't have sounded anything like they did in their 1st few releases without MBV).
It's not for eveyone, obviously, due to the whole noise part of the equation, but if you're going to buy something you should have some idea of what it is that you're getting. Yes, the vocals are low in the mix, but not to the point where they're completely unintelligible, and yes, there is a lot of noise over the melody. If you want to listen to something that isn't obvious or commercial & enjoy music you can immerse yourself in then this is quite simply one of the best records you'll ever buy. If you don't like music that has noise over the melody, doesn't have obvious hooks & sigalong choruses then don't get this, you'll be disappointed.
To be honest, if you're curious & have never heard MBV before & are wanting to take the plunge then buy the CD that collects their 4 EPs as it shows the group progress (missing out the twee C86 period collected on "Ecstasy & Wine") from indie/noise to something that can't really be classified & will give you an idea from the last 2 EPs what this LP is like.
Also, while I'm on the subject of honesty, I wouldn't bother buying this LP in this format as it's just the original remastered in 2 ways when there was nothing wrong with the original - 18 engineering credits, a torturous length of time in the making & contributing heavily to the bankruptcy of Creation with the cost of making it unsurprisingly not leading to a poorly produced LP. If there were extra tracks (when are they planning to re-release the Glider remixes FFS?) or a DVD this might be worth getting instead of the original but this seems a bit unnecessary.
Having said all that, I loved MBV from the first time I heard the "You Made Me Realise" EP & I'm of the opinion that this is such a good album that every home should have one & no self-respecting fan of alternative music can dislike it - it's genius & the theory that MBV went into meltdown because they couldn't top it is quite credible (especially in light of Kevin Shields somewhat disappointing new material on the Lost In Translation soundtrack) so I am massively biased :)

5.0 out of 5 stars why my bloody valentine make or break a night out, 23 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Loveless (Audio CD)
go out to the goodfoot, dance to soul music, use a cigarette holder so you have clean hands to hold your gin with. wear glitter and fall on the way home, several years after bilinda, kevin, etc. finally gave this record up. surprise the passersby and skin your hands and knees, and come back to mine for a bath and TCP, then pass out with me on the couch while 'what you want' plays. and tell me you'd die happily, here, now.

Loveless