• Cyrk

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 31 July 2012
Picking up where Me Oh My, her splendidly warped 2009 debut, left off, Cyrk intensifies the Nuggets-styled psych-weirdness, draws the curtains & wistfully gazes out in the moonlight. Though a slightly darker proposition than it's predecessor - lyrically, certainly - Cate has nonetheless conjured up another clutch of instantly memorable melodies that perform that savvy trick of simultaneously seeming utterly fresh & frustratingly familiar.

Though she's still obviously very fond of Stephen Malkmus's cockeyed approach to songwriting - Cyrk occasionally sounds like a Trish Keenan-fronted Wowee Zowee-era Pavement grappling with Faust's "It's A Bit Of A Pain", it has to be said (fine by me, frankly!) - she's excelled herself in terms of eerie, indelible hooks & eccentric, opaque wordplay this time 'round. At the moment, my favourite tracks are the vespertine "The Man I Wanted" (a curious "down-but-not-out"-type lament), & the pleasantly disturbed "Greta" (which reminds me, a wee bit, of "Jugband Blues"), but I expect I'll have changed my mind again by the time you read this. After all, at a succinct 35 minutes' duration, there's no room for filler.

It's still only July, but I can't imagine they'll be many better LPs released this year.
on 30 May 2012
More of Cate Le Bon's highly disciplined creativity. This isn't a million miles from her first album, My Oh My. The rhythms remain uncomplicated, the arrangements simple and sparse: the pleasure lies in the melodies (I think the melodic lines have a deep relationship to Welsh speech patterns), and in her gorgeous, natural voice. Check out her videos at: [...]

Note that the vinyl *does* come with an MP3 download code (at least mine did), but it's lightweight vinyl.
on 20 June 2014
great cd this girl is so good buy everything she does .she's even Better live go and see her great girl
on 5 April 2015
Three stars for some of it, six stars for most of it.
on 1 September 2014
Hassle free purchase, how it should be. Thanks.
on 16 July 2012
This album has 10 tracks over around 35 minutes. All songs are written by Cate Le Bon (one a co-write); there are 6 supporting musicians credited (some of the names just about legible through the plastic disc-holder).
The lady has a very pleasant (husky/strong) voice and some nice turns of phrase + there is some decent "psych" instrumentation - can't argue with any of that. However, none of the tunes stick and it gets a bit "samey"- a bit noodley/self indulgent.
There's no information given re who played what instruments and no lyrics are included - both black marks for this purchaser.
Its worth a listen but is a bit too "clever for the sake of it" for me. Clearly some talent but needs to give a bit more to the listener if its to be developed.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2014
Listened to this once and came to the conclusion It was another of my daughters weird pres ents. Having said that though I thought the 2nd Half was better than the first.