4.0 out of 5 stars It works very well and provides excellent light output
Published 12 months ago by Peter K

1.0 out of 5 stars No where near 150w equvilent.
This is advertised as 150w equivalent. It is no where near that. I have a standard bulb security light which is 60w and it is about the same as this. Side by side, I would say the lumens were about the same. It was impressive for solar, but it's not 150w!

Published 22 months ago by totalsurf

4.0 out of 5 stars It works very well and provides excellent light output, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Solar Centre Astron64 Solar Security Light (Garden & Outdoors)
I have been very pleased with the Astron 64. I wanted a bright light to illuminate some steps which visitors found potentially dangerous. There was no mains electricity nearby. The Astron 64 was easy to instal, looks contemporary and provides more than enough light. I was surprised at just how much light LEDs can now produce. The solar panel works well and produces enough power even during the winter months. The only reason I have scored the light as four stars is that during very cold weather the PIR, on occasions, seems reluctant to work. This only happened on rare occasions and for the vast majority of the year the PIR worked perfectly. Generally speaking I'm delighted with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar Security Light Astron64, 13 July 2012
I really wasn't sure at first just how effective it could possibly be... But I'm really pleased and just as effective if not more then a normal outside security light.
Also very easy to put up and with no electricity bills...thrilled with it and think I'll be ordering another one

1.0 out of 5 stars No where near 150w equvilent., 7 Dec 2012

The light itself is VERY high quality and a superb build. I am sure it will last a long time, but if you are powerful floodlight, I am afraid this is NOT the one.

We also have a small 120w halogen security light and it is SO much brighter I cannot even describe the difference.

I would still buy this unit if you have a small area to light, but we wanted the whole of our driveway and garden and this just doesn't have the power as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astron 64 solar security light, 16 July 2012
Purchased this light fitting in April 2012 and so far its been excellent and best solar product i've bought.
Excellent spread of light and works at full power, on activation mode, all night.
We have 2no. mounted to garages in our garden and they light up the whole garden when activated by PIR detector.
Only downside is angled frame which is fiddly to fix to solar panel itself - you have to be quite nimble fingered to insert the screws.

3.0 out of 5 stars looks good, bright enough, but solar cell mount is very cheap, 7 Jun 2013
I've read a review for this product with complainants the lamp being as bright as a 150W lamp. First of all: It's bright enough! Whether it's as bright as an 80W or a 200W lamp I can't tell, and it doesn't really matter (because power isn't even the adequate unit to measure brightness). I use it to light my driveway and this light does the job.
I was surprised none of my fellow reviewers took issue with the solar cell mount. Because in my opinion, that one took out all the fun out of installing this lamp.
While the lamp itself seems to be of high quality (and nicely designed), I dare to call the solar panel and its mount "cheap". It's provided with two brackets, that hold the panel at a 45 degree angle. And that's it. If you want to swivel it, you have to swivel the whole panel which looks just wrong. Mounting the brackets to the panel is painful, since the solar panel is essentially an aluminium picture frame with four holes at the back. It's left to the buyer to figure out how to get the nuts behind the frame and the screws inserted into the brackets. It took me about half an hour to get the four screws in. The manufacturer saves a few pennies at the cost of their customers.
The other disappointment was the cable between lamp and solar pannel. While the PIR detector has an additional cable, that allows for some adjustment in the distance between lamp and detector, there is only one length of cable for the solar pannel (8m I believe). If you want to shorten it, you need a soldering iron.
Once installed, the painful installation is quickly forgotten, though, The PIR detector works well, I found an acceptable setting for timer, brightness and sensitivity relatively quickly.
The wife is happy because the lamp looks nice and visitors appreciate no longer having to find their way in the dark.
Would buy again, but hope manufacturer has improved solar panel mount by then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright even from a cloudy day, 17 July 2012
The unit was very easy to install and so convenient to set up in an area without having to install electricity cable. I was surprised how bright the light was even after a cloudy day. We also have the fixed Astron Solar lights to use as lighting in the garden which are also great. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars seeing the light., 13 July 2012
I have been searching for a credible alternative method to illuminate our driveway and outside areas.

The issue with solar as a "security light" has always been: the lack of lumens (light intensity); the running time (hours of light); an aesthetic design; installation solution.

I'm glad to say this is the product I have been waiting: what I always hoped Solar lighting would be!

Product highlights:

1) Design: well thought out and attractive.
2) Money saving: Sun light is free!
3) Ease of installation: simple.
4) Light is bright and attractive
5) Long lasting ( a good number of hours on constant, and I have never seen it diminish on trigger time mode)
6) Sustainable: a true 21st Century product

Also, Solar Centre - the suppliers - have great customer service and are genuinely passionate about Solar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Solar Centre, 12 April 2012
The Astron64 is the fourth product which I have ordered from The Solar Centre, the primary reason for this being their exceptional customer service. I ordered first a pair of low spec HP30 security lights over three years ago to protect a garage not joined to my flat. One of them failed recently and I benefitted from after-sales support well after the warranty period had expired.

I ordered the Astron64 to cover areas in my garden that are very difficult to cover well with conventional mains security lights. The problem with mains security lights is that intruders are able to bypass them altogether by hugging the wall on which they are mounted and walk under them. The Astron64 with an Evo56 mounted opposite entry points, covers entry into the garden and blind areas. This not only provides an instant visual alert in event of an intrusion but lights the dark alley way very well when the bins need taking out.

The Astron64 arrived very quickly today, well before the expected ETA given and I was advised by text message 24 hours and then 3 hours before delivery. On unboxing, this product immediately sets itself apart from other solar lights with it's metal construction. It feels very sturdy and solidly built. It took just under 30 minutes to install the the Astron64 and I'm sure I will enjoy many years of solid service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product on the whole but..., 22 Sep 2013
...just try fixing the brackets to the solar panel and tell me that there isn't a better thing to do with your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never go back to mains powered security lights!, 30 Oct 2013
J. Wright (At home!) - See all my reviews
My property doesn't benefit from any adjacent street lighting so its always had a security lights with motion sensor to illuminate it. A few years ago with the cost of electricity climbing I installed my first solar light (bought from the solar centre)and was impressed with the results.
However while the back garden is catered for the path at the side of my house is particularly dark due to the proximity of 20ft conifers along the boundary. I've positioned the Astron 64 high up on the gable end and its providing a superb light when walking down the side of my house, and not once have I seen a drop in light intensity, (the solar panel is mounted on a west facing wall so doesn't get sun until the afternoon), though to be honest I didn't expect any drop in performance based on my experience with the Evo security lights I have already.
This light is well made and easy to install even for a beginner, if I could change one thing about it would be to have it in black rather than white but this would never be a deal breaker just a preference. Powering mains security lights is becoming a luxury with the cost of electricity however the Astron 64 is a worthy replacement light.

The Solar Centre Astron64 Solar Security Light