Users of entry-level LaserJet printers will know that no matter cheap the initial machine purchase was - it's the aftermath that sees the costs soar. Toners and Drums for these machines under the 'Brand Name' can cost as much as the printer itself.

Published 12 months ago by Mark Barry

1.0 out of 5 stars incompatible
Published on 7 July 2012 by flo n bea

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality At A Very Cheap Price... - Toner Cartridge Replacement for the Brother HL 2240..., 13 Jun. 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: ColourDirect Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement For Brother TN2220 - HL-2240 HL-2240D HL-2250DN HL-2270DW HL-2130 HL-2132 DCP-7060 DCP-7065DN DCP-7060D DCP-7070DW DCP-7055 MFC-7360N MFC-7860DW MFC-7460DN MFC-7460N Printers2600 Pages (Electronics)

It's therefore good to see a Toner Cartridge clock in at under ten quid (including post if you're on Prime). After a first few inky pages where it was clearing itself out - the print quality evened out to a steady and clear page. I've had it two days now and printed hundreds of clear A4's without any glitches. The card box you see in the picture above is how it arrives - and inside that box is a sealed cartridge itself wrapped in bubble wrap for double protection. It reputedly gives you about 3000 pages - which is great value for money. And it arrived day after ordering too.

Couldn't ask for better...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, didn't leak., 22 Feb. 2013
S. D. Spicer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Which might seem a strange title, but I have found that refilled/manufactured cartridges often don't work that well and equally often leak. This is the third Colour Direct cartridge I've had and I've been pleased with them all. I also rate this seller as I did have an issue with one that was advance replaced without question within 24 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice 'n' easy, 19 July 2012
I ordered this toner because it is extremely good value for money and I do a lot of printing so the genuine Brother cartridge was far too expensive. I was worried when I read the one-star review which said their HL-2130 wouldn't recognise it. But, I am very happy to report that my Brother HL-2130 is running very smoothly with this compatible cartridge and I have gone straight back and ordered another one!

1.0 out of 5 stars incompatible, 7 July 2012
sadly, although the toner fits the printer and is clearly the same model, my brother hl-2130 printer refuses to acknowledge its existence and is therefore a complete waste of money. I haven't been able to use it and begrudgingly had to order a brother original toner instead. I'd far rather use recycled toner cartridges out of principle but the printer has a built in 'brother only' system. Shame on brother for not allowing 3rd party recycled toner suppliers - my displeasure lies with them. But I am also very disappointed to be willingly sold a product that would never have worked - unless someone can correct me and enlighten me to a work-around? thank you...

2.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as an origina? No not from my experience, 1 April 2013
Chris from Hampshire "Mrs C" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I purchased this re-manufactured Laser Printer Toner from Colour Direct. It was offered for an excellent price. As advised by another reviewer this Toner Cartridge does in fact fit the Brother HL2130.

I purchased this for a spare as I am still on the cartridge that was supplied with the printer. (I have not had the printer for very long, but did not want to risk running out of Toner as you can never be sure how long one supplied with the printer will last for).

I thought I had better try this re-manufactured one as soon as it arrived - just in case. It works perfectly and I can see no difference to the original Brother one. This re-manufactured one was recognised by the Brother Printer and all went well. I have the Printer set to 'Toner Save' and the result was the same as the original toner.

The seller packages the item VERY, VERY well. Polythene mailing bag which was over the product box. The Cartridge inside was also in a sealed polybag and additionally well secured/wrapped in bubble packing.

EXCELLENT. Extremely satisfied, would buy this product again and use this seller.

UPDATE 31 October 2013
My original Brother Toner finally became totally empty today so it was time to insert this re-manufactured Toner. Ah - a problem. It fitted ok BUT nothing I could do would get it to be recognised by the printer. As luck would have it, I saw the comment by EC and it worked! For how long I do not know - I just hope it will be for the duration of the toner and then will have to re-think what one to buy next time as the Brother ones are sooooooooo expensive. Because of the problem experienced today, I have had no choice but to change the star rating from 5 to 3 stars.

FURTHER UPDATE 25 February 2014
Well, as you can see from my first update above, I have not been using this Toner for very long. Already the "Toner Low" warning is flashing. I checked out how many pages printed via - Printer > Properties > Support which when clocked on, prints out a user report and show the state of the Drum, the Toner Cartridge and how many pages have been printed. My report that I printed on 22 February shows that the Drum Remaining Life is not far off 100%. BUT the Toner Remaining Life shows less than 50%. The total page count shows as 1228 (made up of 1228 A4 pages + 9 Envelopes and 1 A5 page. YET on the Amazon Sales info at the heading of this Toner Cartridge, you will see that after the Brother Printer Model Number that the cartridge is applicable for, it shows 2600 pages yield.

I have obviously taken the Cartridge out and shaken from side to side to redistribute and also use the green slider at the back of the drum unit to clean the wire, yet still, even though printing is still possible, the warning is still coming up.

Most of my printing is just letters, printing out emails, nothing very dense and I have the Printer Controls set to Toner Save Mode with 300dpi. So . . . . . . . .
not overly impressed as I got more use (23 Feb 2013 - 31 Oct 2013) yet they say that the Toner Cartridge that comes with a new printer is not a full one.

Because I certainly have not got anywhere near the capacity from this compatible cartridge I am going to have to lower the star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to have quite the quality of the original ..., 27 July 2014
Doesn't seem to have quite the quality of the original cartridge but such a marginal difference as to be irrelevant for most uses and is more than compensated for by the price difference. I will be buying these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars toner inks, 2 Jan. 2014
I have ordered before and was always impressed with the promptness, received well within time ,good price compared to what I have paid for other brands excellent service would use again

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, quick delivery, 9 July 2014
Very good quality, quick delivery. Works perfectly well with my Brother Printer. I keep ordering every time I need a new toner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fitted OK, but printer no longer functioning., 23 Jan. 2015
Fitted the cartridge without any problems (apart from the instructions possibly being deprecated, talking about a toner sticker, when there seemed to be a plastic cap). However, my printer still shows the toner low warning (less than a 5th left), and my printer is no longer printing. Looks like some people on here are having success, but it's a taking a risk to save some money sort of a product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY careful about ordering this, 4 Oct. 2014
Be VERY CAREFUL when ordering. I bought cartridges for my 4-month old Kyocera printer and it messed up the developer unit and Kyocera voided the warranty as a result. Colour Direct refuse to take responsibility for this! So I have a printer I cannot use and cannot get repaired for under the price of a new printer!!