on 31 December 2011
Having had Rose Elliot recommended as a good authority on vegetarian cooking, I was somewhat disappointed with this book.
It would be a good buy for people starting a vegetarian diet, or vegetarians learning to cook, as it is very basic and, for me, overly simple. A fair few of the recipes are simply vegetarian versions of meat dishes, which I would think was common sense (vegetarian sausages and mash, for example), slight twists on basic dishes (a 'luxurious' mac and cheese, which is as standard but with the addition of tomatoes and boursin cheese. Hardly ground-breaking). An over-reliance on butter is also prevalent, and Elliot often fails to note that the hard cheeses she recommends are not vegetarian as standard.
The problem isn't that the recipes are bad; they are simple, solid, comfortable recipes for general cooking, but with many of them I felt that I could just have easily have searched the web and immediately found recipes that were just as good (e.g. nut roast, leek and potato soup, or the aforementioned mac and cheese). Or gone to the supermarket and picked something, thought what to put with it, and reach a similar conclusion as Elliot (avocado with raspberry vinaigrette, vegetable soup).
If you'd like to learn the basics of vegetarian cooking, and cooking in general, this book is for you. If you have already graduated to Ottolenghi and the like, don't bother.
on 19 September 2011
This is a real classic for all vegetarian cooks, whether new or long-standing. The book is infomative and detailed without being complicated. I had an old copy which fell to bits with constant use. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone interested in vegetarian cooking.
on 30 October 2013
I downloaded this as a kindle book and it's great to look at on the train to give inspiration to tea times. I have used some of the recipes and each has turned out to be delicious. Rose Elliot is a long time favourite of mine in any case and never fails to impress.
on 28 December 2013
Quick, easy and delicious, trusted British Vegetarian dishes that have stood the test of time. Inspiring to get back into the kitchen, cook and eat homely, honest food.
on 26 October 2013
I needed some ideas quickly for a visiting veggie. Really impressed with this book and I now use it regularly.
We are not quite converted to veggie but these recipes are tempting.
on 11 September 2013
I was hoping for some good ideas but most of the recipes are far from exciting or inspirational.Might look at it if a veggie dish was essential but very disappointing.
on 13 September 2013
This item was delivered very quickly and in excellent condition. Unable to say a great deal about the recipes yet as I have not tried any but will do so shortly.
on 29 October 2013
Good recipes, easy to cook. I bought the kindle edition which I don't find as convenient to browse through. A paper version would suit me better.
on 26 September 2014
Excellent book, prompt delivery.