Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 April 2013
The original Inspiration/Information is a classic album of course - read reviews of the earlier edition to get an idea if you don't know this funk/soul gem yet. This 2013 re-issue offers some serious added value. The 4 bonus tracks from the 2001 Luaka Bop edition have been ditched (as they were in fact cuts from the 1971 album Freedom Flight). In stead you get a 2CD edition with nice artwork & liner notes, the original 1974 album and 'Wings Of Love': 18 bonus tracks, roughly 90 minutes worth of previously unreleased music recorded between 1971 and 1990 (+one live track from 2000). As could be expected it's not all gold, but there are most definitely a few gems to be found. Current favourites are 'Special' and the epic 11-minute title track 'Wings Of Love'. Nearly every song is still rooted in the Soul Music tradition, but the Wings Of Love stuff is in general a bit less 'sly' than Inspiration/Information and brings in more influences from Disco and, well, Eighties Pop. At times Shuggie relies heavily on his synthesizer arrangements and the sound gets dangerously close to being (what I would call) 'tacky', but he does it with so much conviction and panache, it doesn't really bother me.

Well worth your money.
on 20 August 2013
Take Herbie Hancock, Sly and Prince. Mix them all together and you still won't get closer trying to describe the music on Wings of Love. But you'll be on the right line. Impossible to categorize. There's funk, soul, rock, jazz...If Inspiration Information (great album included here in the same package) is deemed by some as Shuggie's masterpiece then what will they make of this one? Not that it doesn't need serious listening. There is so much going on that you really do need to concentrate. I would think that after a few listens though the songs would become more familiar. The album seems to get better song by song and finishes therefore really strongly. The title track is fantastic, anthemic in the same way Purple Rain is. And you know, Shuggie can play! I've been a fan ever since I bought Kooper Session all those years ago. Great that Shuggie is still out there delivering the goods!
on 13 May 2013
Brilliant stuff. if you don't know Shuggie's work, check him out, trail-blazing cool funk ! He's unique but much copied. I bet Prince has got this.
on 18 December 2013
Inspiration Information is one of the best albums ever made, only criticism if i was forced to say one is shuggies voice in places isn't that strong but believe me this is truly one of the best albums ever made!, It's an album which gets better and better the more you listen to it, it unravels more every time.

Buy the 3 album version instead of this one as you get Information inspiration and 2 others which are better and a really good price.
on 16 April 2013
I want to thank eveyone who posted comment on my original review - I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest around who released what first. The point I want to make is this guy has been so under-rated and under appreciated it is criminal he struggled (according to him) to get a record deal for decades. There are countless examples of stuff that clearly was influenced by Shugg and often without any acknowledgement.
Ins/Inf is the best album ever. I treasure my copy of the original vinyl release from way back. My son in his mid twenties last year got into Shugg and we and other son caught the London show a few months back - and amazingly the promised release has materialised. Shugg simply is a genius and it is just wonderful to have some new sounds. There is talk that this is just a gap filler and more stuff on the way - I just hope so. Worth the 40 years wait - W of L ain't no I/I overall but just so good to have some real music again - with a bias to a rockier style - but he goes through it all heady I/I stuff to some straight ahead rock. There is live track - Black Belt Sheriff that is Shugg on acoustic that reminds me of Marley's Redemption Song somehow - that's the breadth of this set. Now and then lyrics ( from Ins/Inf) are re-cycled and now and then riffs re-appear - that might bug some. It's all a bit of a mish mash - a collection of stuff whereas I/I was recorded as an album - but for me streets ahead of anyting I have been able to buy for so so long. Please buy the disc and support this special talent.
77 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2016
Excellent
on 18 September 2014
One of a kind, Shuggie Otis was on another planet
on 7 February 2015
Good
on 16 June 2013
Artist is OK but not as good as expected. Pleasant but not outstanding album(s). I had thought this would be brilliant but is just good.