on 10 August 2012
I bought this LG Sound bar to accompany my TV LG 47LM860v thought they will make a good pair. TV is stunning and sound bar is a good match as it looks good to.
I HAVE USED IT FOR 3 WEEKS NOW.
Bar has few connections on the back : HDMI output to send video out and even receive sound from TV (ARC), to use it you ll need a 1.4 HDMI cable with ARC ability. I have spent a while trying to get this to work with the TV. You can also use optical connection that will definitely work with any devise that has Optical. To enable the ARC feature first you need to enable the SIMPLINK (i thing SIMPLINK only works with LG equipment). With non LG equipment you do not need to enable the SIMPLINK. Just enable ARC (both connected devices must support ARC though). In the SIMPLINK mode you do not have to use a dedicated remote and can control all the features of the bar with the TV's remote.
Bar also has 2 HDMI inputs to connect your other HDMI devices. Video will be routed to your TV and sound will go through the Bar. I connect my Media player to one of the HDMIs.
USB at the front of the Bar is very slow. it takes about 1 minute to display 120Gb of movies on my 1TB portable USB 3 drive. The reason might be the lack of power in the USB on the LG Bar. Drive works very fast on my LG TV. It works faster on my USB 16Gb stick.
Sound bar plays DVD, Blu-Ray and 3D Blu-Ray. Those features do not come often with sound bars. so it is useful and saves space and money so you do not have to have a separate blu-ray player.
The bar is very deep in size and it is not possible to hang it on the wall. Irrelevant if your TV is on the stand or in the niche on the extendable wall bracket like mine.
With the bar you also get a lot of functions of the LG smart TV. You can download applications and games, BBC iPlayer, Love film, Netflix, YouTube and many more.

POSITIVES: good sound, a lot better than the TV's speakers. I have tried a well recommended all over Yamaha YSP2200 and did not notice a great deal of difference in the sound quality. Some people may say i am def, but i only needed to upgrade the TV speakers sound. Now it is loud and clear. You get 3D Blu-ray drive with it without the need for extra cables. Looks very good. iPod and iPhone dock included in the box and supports charging of iPhone 4S. Sub-woofer is wireless (no need for extra cable :)) Unit has touch buttons on the top to control the unit without the remote.

NEGATIVES (in SIMPLINK mode): The sound bar suppose to turn on at the same time as the TV by pressing a power button on the TV remote, it does but 10 seconds after the TV is on. It goes strait in to default mode ARC or optical. I do not use an optical connection so it is annoying whet it switches on to optical. If you want to change the input you have to pres input button on the TV remote change the chanell to HDMI SIMPLINK (the HDMI you have connected your bar to with the SIMPLINK enabled) Than bar starts scanning the disc drive for 10 sec and you can not stop it nor with buttons on the remote nor in the menu. Id disc is not present bar switches to Home mode where you can change inputs and use all other functions. All the process is annoing as it takes a long time, and the worst thing is that firs you wife complaint's that the TV sounds awful, now she sais that the system is a nightmare to use, put it back the way it was... Once in this 3 weeks i had the Sound bar it would play the sound from the TV channels, but will not switch to any other inputs and will frees on the background screen without displaying anything else. I had to unplug the bar from the socket and plug back again to be able to fully reboot it and be able to use my other devices connected to it (sky for example).
So if i could disable the Disc Drive from booting every time you use inputs, to make switching between inputs easy and quick task this would have been by far a better experience with using the bar on the daily basis. The bar does not provide a great deal of the amplification and if your media has a low volume level to start with it will not sound loud through the speaker... Talking of loudness: 1% of volume is too loud... Would like it to start from half the %.

OVERALL :If I'd paid full price for the bar i would be unhappy with the purchase. I have bought it an open box from Amazon direct for £300, so can not complain as i realize that Blu-ray 3D drive will cost half of that... to say that i don't know if any other unit will give you similar problems with switching between inputs. But being LG with LG TV with the SIMPLINK it could have been an easier to use in same make pairs. A SIMPLINK is mot that SIMPL...
on 28 February 2013
After watching 'The Lord of the Rings,' Blu-ray special extended edition, I realised that I needed to get a bigger TV. I had a (what was then) top of the range Sony HDTV, a Sony multi region Blu-ray player, & an 850w Sony virtual surround sound system. The TV was only (sic) 32", which seemed to be big enough at the time - but size really does matter. The Sony surround-sound was brilliant; but my old Sony set-up was now obsolete. I don't need to access the internet through my TV or Blu-ray, but it is handy in order to update the TV & Blu-ray players firmware; whilst I wanted to avail myself of that 3D immersive TV experience.
The Sony surround-sound system did not allow for 3D pass through. There was a possibility that I could have bodged together a Heath-Robinson cobbled up jury-rig, which might but probably wouldn't have, done the job? So I thought it best to look for a solution which would give me the cinema sound plus that 3D experience.
I had done quite a bit of research into what system to go for, passive or active 3D TV? Surprisingly, passive came out on top. As I was getting an LG 3D TV, didn't make LG the only choice for the speakers or Blu-ray player; but having looked at a few of the options, & then rejecting them on cost or performance, or because I just didn't like the look of them - I came across the LG BB5521A. It may have seemed to be a bit on the pricier side, but it included the 3d Blu-ray player, the soundbar, & a wireless subwoofer, which would connect LG to LG, via LG's 'simplink.'
The sound output is way below my old Sony system; but then, I could never crank the Sony's volume up past a quarter of its potential full volume anyway; it was just too deafening.
I initially tried the set up with an optical connection for sound, & then with an ARC cable. Each to their own, but I think that the ARC wins out overall.
Setting up was a doddle, though the 'instructions' which come supplied, are lamentable to say the least. Connecting to my wireless home network, couldn't have been easier (unless someone else had done it for me).
I tried watching two 3D blu-ray movies, 'Prometheus' first. The picture through my LG TV, was spectacular, & the sound was far better than I had expected it might be. Maybe the Sony did give a slightly better surround-sound experience, but you'd be hard pressed to be able to differentiate between the two in a blind test.
'Up' was up next, & that was stunning. The difference between the 2D to 3D versions, is phenomenal. It's what 3D TV was made for.
I am happy with this set-up; there are cheaper options, but they won't sound as good - they certainly will not look as good.
on 19 November 2015
Don't even think about buying this product. It has been temperamental since I bought it 2 years ago. I have had the entire unit replaced once as it went into meltdown when 2 months old. The sub woofer has given up 3 times and the DVD player no longer accepts discs. LG customer support is hopeless and I will not buy from them again. The product should be in the £200 price bracket and I am now saving to replace this unit with something that might work. One star was too much but the least I could give. Don't even think about it.
on 28 March 2013
I have now owned this product for some time, it has always been temperamental but is now refusing to register discs or button input. It is also refusing to update its firmware despite telling me it wants to. The picture quality when working was ok, certainly not good value though. Avoid, I'm saving you a headache here.
on 29 April 2013
Great sound and simple to install.
Does what it says on the tin.
Subwoofer connects first time every time.
Love it.