5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding display...
I am very critical of the products that I buy, and this is no different.

In short, this is an outstanding TV. It's basic, and it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is: a good display. It's not a "smart" TV, but the Samsung LED "smart" TV my mother bought for significantly more money than this pales in comparison.

This display offers an...
Published 21 months ago by Cobra

1.0 out of 5 stars Product broke 18 months after purchase
We watched less than 30 hours TV on this model. The picture quality is gorgeous, but it has broken. Because we didn't pay for extended warranty LG won't help to fix it. At over £500 I feel completely robbed. Won't be buying LG again.
Published 4 months ago by jpd

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding display..., 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: LG 50PA650T 50-inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freeview and 3 HDMI Ports (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am very critical of the products that I buy, and this is no different.

This display offers an outstanding picture, which is sharp but natural. There's no pixellation, no ghosting, no blurring like cheaper LCD displays. It's razor-sharp and keeps up the show no matter what you throw at it. The blacks are nicely black, but the detail in lighter scenes is realistic. Those used to the over-bright, unrealistic images displayed by some LCD displays may be disappointed at first but will soon adjust to a more natural cinematic experience. It really is a brilliant image, and one I wouldn't change for anything. My next HDTV will definitely be an LG display, unless another manufacturer can offer something better - but I doubt it.

The sound quality is adequate. It won't blow you away, but it leaves the cheaper options standing. It's realistic, especially when watching things like the news where a good vocal response is the key. I've paired mine with a good Panasonic home cinema, so when I want some really nice sound it's there at the push of a button. I would have gone for an LG home cinema, but they don't offer speakers that mount easily and that was a fatal flaw that was so easily addressed (at least for me) so I won't buy it.

In the current climate of saving money and the environment, I must say that this display is highly efficient. I run it with all the "eco" settings set to "very off" and it still consumes very little electricity. This plasma display isn't the "gas guzzler" it's predecessors were; it's frugal in terms of its electricity usage.

The only negative point I have found is the issue of screen burn. This TV seems to burn really easily, but the effects of that burn last only a minute or two and are not noticeable if you are watching something on the display. I have run it for a few months, and fallen asleep watching it a couple of times, and the display has not suffered any damage. I don't know why it has this trait, but it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

If you're looking for a decent TV that will knock spots off the LCD or LED displays next to it, have a look at this one. It really is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars IF SET UP PROPERLY! (see review), 14 Mar 2013
Mr. G. Cooke "metal101" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Having owned this tv for several months now, I decided to write a review because it was only after i trawled through forums for answers to my problems that I became happy.

After the initial wow factor of buying a 60" tv, I have to say I was a little disappointed; Most of the time the picture was great but in some scenes I experienced white speckles in the picture and the picture was often very grainy/pixellated (especially in darker scenes in greens, browns and blacks) even when playing blu-ray. The picture also gave the appearance of flickering in certain scenes.

It turns out that the tv basically ships with awful settings, some of which aren't adjustable initially.

To rectify these problems, you need to use the "Picture Wizard II" found in the "Picture" section of the menu. Simply follow the on-screen instructions. **NOTE** start by selecting the "standard" option rather than "preferred". This is essential because the root cause of the pixellation issue is down to the dynamic contrast, which can't be turned completely off if you start off with the "preferred" setting. Also don't over-sharpen the picture. The settings you've selected should now be saved as "Expert1"

Once you've done that you're almost there but you need to go back into the picture menu to change a couple of other things: Firstly the "intelligent sensor"; it really isn't that intelligent and is the cause of the flickering. You should now be able to turn this off and I recommend that you do so. Next, you need to go to the "expert settings" option a bit further down the menu. Turn dynamic contrast to "off", black level should be on "low", I found the picture better with "Colour gamut" set to "wide", "Edge Enhancer" doesn't do much but should be off for blu-ray and see what the difference is with SD content - I just leave mine off permanently.

I think that's it for the tv but please note that whatever device you're using to provide a picture should also be set up properly. I bought the Panasonic DMP120 dvd/blu ray player which is also a 5* product but needs similar effort to be set up correctly. As a rule of thumb, if it sounds like it will make the picture better, it probably makes it worse.

In case you haven't read the full specs, the tv is 600Hz sub field drive and has 24p compatibility, which means judder and motion blur are kept to a minimum, especially when playing blu rays.

Once it's set up correctly, the tv is stunning. Blacks could always be blacker in my view but they are very good and this tv is a bargain that rivals much more expensive tvs. How else are you going to get a 60" 1080p tv for under £800? Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value for the price and quality., 12 Nov 2012
Ok so I rarely write reviews on things I buy but this is one of those ones which I think is worthy of a mention. I did not have a lot of money to spare, so buying thr right TV was a big issue for me. Like most people, I spent a bit of time contemplating on which tv technology was best for me, i.e. LCD/LED/plasma. After a bit of research I realized plasma suited my needs the best as I watch a lot of sports, and plasma offers better high speed movements, better contrast ratio, better viewing angles, and more natural colour tones, the black colours are much better and this is important if you'd like to get as close a cinema experience at home as you can. I was not too bothered about 3D hence why I chose this model. A good review of how the three technologies compare can be found here [...]

So what are the good points of this tv?
1. Very easy to setup. Took me and the missus around 10 minutes and we were up and running. It comes with a stand, and if you want to wallmount it, I think you need to get a separate bracket. We did not wall mount ours.

2. Looks absolutely gorgeous in your living room. Well built and sturdy. Nice finish. The remote is also well laid out, eventhough it is a bit plasticky.

3. Enough HDMI ports and also has a USB port and ethernet port. We connected our xbox 360, bluray and Sky+ HD box without any problems. I did not use the BBC iPlayer, youtube and picasa apps that came with it as I had all those things and more via my xbox 360. But you can utilize those built in apps via an ethernet connection. Wifi needs an external dongle I think.

4. Plays media files on your external hardisk via USB. I was pleasantly surprised by this. So far it has played (and upscaled nicely when needed) all my files. Wmv, avi, even MKV without any problems at all. Well impressed.

5. Picture quality is absolutely stunning, including gaming. You feel immersed in whatever you are watching and it just takes viewing tv to another level. The colours are gorgeous and you dont need to tinker round much with the settings as it detects the lighting itself and adjusts accordingly. Of course u can adjust it if u want which was what I did and this was pretty straightforward. Fast moving images were superb (Sky Sports HD looks breathtaking!). David Attenborough's documentaries never looked so good!

6. Sound is surprisingly deep and good enough for me, considering how thin it is.

7. Cheap considering what you get for your money.

The not so good bits:
1. There is a bit of glare if you are in a brightly lit room.

2. There is no SMART TV hub that you find in Samsung's tvs. But then again I had my xbox connected to it and I used my Lovefilm, Youtube, and BBC iPlayer etc via xbox so it wasn't an issue at all. In fact I feel the xbox apps are much better designed.

3. Not wifi enabled. Needs an ethernet cable for internet connection. Not so much an issue in my case, as my xbox was connected to the internet and I used the xbox for all the 'smart tv' apps.

4. It is not as bright as an LED tv which you will realize is the case with all plasmas. In exchange, the colours feel more 'natural'. They are still bright, but of course not as bright as LEDs. Unless you have a massive living room then this will probably not be such an issue.

So that's it really. All in all, for this price and quality, it really is exceptional value for money and I would highly recommend this model for anyone out there looking for a solid, well-priced, large screen tv with lots of good features and outstanding picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome TV., 17 July 2012
First of all id like to thank Amazon for customer services and a very speedy delivery, I ordered tv on friday am. And it arrived day later Sat am.
This 50" plasma tv is very straight forward to set up with the clear instructions, Just plug in and follow onscreen instructions. First thing i noticed was how clear & vivid the picture was with superb clarity especially in HD channels and normal channels look very good also with the built in upscaling, sounds great too. Films in blu ray look awesome in HD. Would definitly recommend buying this awesome tv. DOC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible HDTV, 12 Oct 2012
I love my new 60" LG Plasma. So much HDTV for so little money (£899.00 compared to the competition for this size Plasma is an amazing bargain). PC gaming, Xbox 360 Gaming and Bluray Playback feeds my set with HD Sources & LG have done an amazing job here this Plasma is AFAIC perfect in every way there is nothing LG could do to improve the PQ its a stunning image & looks great under all conditions & with all content (even SD sources like DVD or Freeview) due to the internal scalers & other digital trickery. You need to play around with settings a bit like any HDTV for different sources but once tweaked this set produces amazing results.

Well done LG this is such a stunning Plasma & thank you Amazon & HDNL for such a painless ordering & delivery process (2 man delivery job due to the sheer bulk/weight of the box). I assembled it myself but it really needs 2 people to lift the Plasma as its very heavy/bulky.

Friendly warning to prospective buyers though this set is absolutely massive & weights approve 41Kg with the stand attached so please ensure you have a suitable cabinet to hold all that weight safely & approx 60" x 36" x 12" minimum space as thats how much it takes up once assembled onto the stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing, 15 Dec 2012
I've had this TV for about 2 weeks now and I'm very pleased with it. I was originally looking for an LED TV with a screen size of at least 46" but when I went to look at a few I found the picture quality lacking personally. This is perhaps is due to the fact that I had a plasma TV previously and I just prefer the 'style' of picture a plasma provides. I'm no expert on TV's so I can't talk about black levels or colour tones but the picture quality, whether watching Freeview, movies or gaming is excellent, in my humble opinion.

I can't add much over the previous reviews but the TV was very simple to set up, has a good range of connections, the sound is better than I expected (I was looking at soundbars before buying but I now don't think I'll need one) and I think the TV itself looks very smart and sleek. I'm not interested in 3D so the lack of it was no problem and I haven't used the 'Smart' apps as I have other gadgets for that but I do like the handy USB port for viewing pictures and media. I would agree that the screen is a little reflective in my bright living room (most are aren't they?) but then I use the TV very little during the day so not really a problem for me. The added bonus for me is that it's far thinner, lighter and energy efficient than my previous plasma TV. Not as thin, light or energy efficient as a LED TV but then that's the small price I'll happily pay to have a plasma.

To get a full HD 50" plasma at this price is smashing and I must say that Amazon's free delivery was first class, the TV arrived 2 days sooner than estimated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product broke 18 months after purchase, 10 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 6 April 2014
I have had this tv about a year now no problems with it at all is great tv for its price...

5.0 out of 5 stars One word...Brilliant, 16 Mar 2014
Alan J. Young (Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Far better than a lot of my mates pixelated LCD TV's. This one is smooth with an incredible picture. I don't believe you can get a better picture than this without it looking electronically enhanced. Don't bother with 4k, unless you have 20 / 20 vision and are sat 5 feet from your TV, you probably won't know the difference. Plasma is definitely the way to go.

As per usual with flat screens the sound is not brilliant although better than most. Pair the TV with an LG surround system for seamless operation and enhanced low end and you have yourself a killer system.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class basic TV, 2 Jan 2014
B. Cooke (England) - See all my reviews
This tv is not "smart" and is not 3D. However, it is a very reasonable price and gives a superb picture with good sound, if properly set up. Setting up is key and my son had some very practical comments (in relation to his PA650T), which are basically as follows:-

It turns out that the tv basically ships with awful settings, some of which aren't adjustable initially, and although this gives mostly a great picture, in some scenes I experienced white speckles in the picture and the picture was often very grainy/pixellated (especially in darker scenes in greens, browns and blacks) even when playing blu-ray. The picture also gave the appearance of flickering in certain scenes.

To rectify these problems, you need to use the "Picture Wizard II" found in the "Picture" section of the menu, and follow the on-screen instructions. **NOTE** start by selecting the "standard" option rather than "preferred". This is essential because the root cause of the pixellation issue is down to the dynamic contrast, which can't be turned completely off if you start off with the "preferred" setting. Also don't over-sharpen the picture. The settings you've selected should now be saved as "Expert1"

Once you've done that you're almost there but you need to go back into the picture menu to change a couple of other things: Firstly the "intelligent sensor"; it really isn't that intelligent and is the cause of the flickering. You should now be able to turn this off and I recommend that you do so. Next, you need to go to the "expert settings" option a bit further down the menu. Turn dynamic contrast to "off", black level should be on "low", I found the picture better with "Colour gamut" set to "wide". "Edge Enhancer" doesn't do much but should be off for blu-ray and see what the difference is with standard definition content - I just leave mine off permanently.

I think that's it for the tv but please note that whatever device you're using to provide a picture should also be set up properly. I bought the Panasonic DMP120 dvd/blu ray player which is also a 5 star product but needs similar effort to be set up correctly. As a rule of thumb, if it sounds like it will make the picture better, it probably makes it worse.

Watching standard definition (SD) content also gives a good picture; much better than my old LCD tv,

I should also add that the sound is very good too. Obviously it doesn't rival a decent surround sound setup but for watching normal tv programmes it's more than adequate.

The only slight negative with plasma tv's is the issue of screen-burn. Initially the tv is very susceptible to screen burn so you will need to take extra care. This is a problem with all plasmas and it takes around 200 hours of use to class the tv as fully "burned in" (run in). After this time, the screen should be less susceptible to screen burn and having used mine for probably 50-60 hours, it's already far more resistant than when I first got it.

The best thing to do after watching in 4:3, 16:9 with a letterbox or a programme with an opaque network logo in the corner is to put on a channel that has no logo permanently on display; such as bbc1, sky1 or skyliving, all of which are also broadcast in HD (only freeview channels are available through the tv's freeview tuner). This has the effect of "washing" the screen clean and avoids permanent screen burn.