5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, almost flawless - UPDATED 6 months on.
Not wishing to add a review a deep and meandering as some of the others, thought this might benefit from a simple bullet point summary for those considering these as a decent set of cans for the commute and working.

Published on 1 Nov. 2012 by Mr. D. Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable headphones to wear
I brought these primarily to use for work around my home office and occasionally on business trips.

Pros:
1. Good sound quality. I didn't buy these for to listen to music but the quality is good, not excellent though)
Published 10 months ago by Dammar

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, almost flawless - UPDATED 6 months on., 1 Nov. 2012
Mr. D. Hamilton "Duncan Hamilton" (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MM450-X Travel Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones with Kindle Compatibility (Electronics)

Fundamentally these manage to work at being good audiophile headphones, a headset for your phone, and noise suppression devices. If, like me, you have your music on your work phone, you'll understand that generally you have a choice of listening to music through the 99p headset supplied with the phone, or having a separate set of earphones for music (Sennheiser CX-300 in my case) meaning a sudden swap when someone phones.

Firstly as phone headset - works very well. People at the other end report me being much clearer than other headsets, but can pick up a lot of background noise. The voice you hear of your caller is strangely distant, but you soon get used to it. All phone features worked on my HTC Titan Windows Phone 7.5 straight after pairing; no fiddling needed.

Audio headphones - my reference points are some elderly HD590 home hi-fi cans, and CX300 in-ear phones (both from Sennheiser). It would be unrealistic to expect the same punch as the CX300, or the clarity and staging of the HD590, but the MM450 manages to achieve a good balance between the two. Playback is expansive and crisp, although the treble can sometimes get a bit muddled. Bass is tight and controlled on a variety of music from The Who through Machinehead, the KLF, and finally to Jurassic 5.

I should stress that they're extremely unforgiving on low quality tracks - 96kbps sound atrocious, 128k better, 256k is about right. If most of your tunes are low quality, then you're not going to enjoy the experience with these. Similarly, deliberately poor production - such as Quantic Soul Orchestra, who deliberately record Mono to replicate that Northern Soul feel - is actually painful, so faithful is the MM450's reproduction. I've also found the HD-590s to do this as well, whereas the warmer CX300 tend to smooth out the nastiness. Having played around with various phones and laptops, and finally plugged them into my Arcam home setup, they're very sensitive to the quality of the playback device; they sound scintillating on the Arcam, but pretty ropey on a BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Noise reduction - quite disconcerting at first. Works best with constant noises, such as engines, rather than with noise spikes like kids screaming. There is a marked reduction in sound quality with the noise reduction on, but it's a 6 of one, half dozen type scenario - if you need noise reduction, then you'll forgive the lower quality in favour of blocking out the ambient noise.

Comfort - entirely possible to wear these all day. The noise reduction doesn't pressurise to any noticeable extent. Your ears do get warm, but as they don't enclose the ears there's still a cool side to the ears. Against in-ear phones, you don't get any of that inner ear pressure and ache that hours with CX300s will give. Comfy head band, and soft leatherette cups all make them easy to wear without thinking.

Quality - very well constructed and thought out. Fold neatly into the little pouch and take up less space than the Bose QC15s. Feel much more solid and weighty than they actually are.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

Edit - 6 months into ownership.

All the above applies except I'm now without my MM450-X as they're with Sennheiser being fixed. This being the second set after the first pair bought in October failed (Bluetooth ceased functioning) in January. Amazon kindly replaced them at no charge, but when that set failed (permanent white noise in left ear when turned on) I thought it better to use the 2 year warranty and return them to base.

This itself hasn't been a pleasing experience - they've been with Sennheiser for over a week, having posted them two weeks ago (Royal Mail, then Sennheiser not processing their incoming post for several days). I might, quote, 'get them back in two or three weeks time'. Unbelievably poor service from Sennheiser UK, although I don't doubt if I was a world famous musician, DJ, or other Celeb, they'd have been fixed in the same afternoon.

I've not been hard on these 'phones - indeed the second set have rarely left the house - and I'm exceptionally sympathetic with my gadgets. However, whilst they feel well constructed, there's obviously some penny pinching gone on underneath the bonnet, so to speak. The day before I sent the second set back for repair both my phones refused to see them as having a microphone - so further signs of electrical gremlins.

They are still very good in my opinion, but be aware you might be needing that 2yr warranty. In fact, if they break in the first six months, just get Amazon to replace them - it's far less hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment! Glad that I bought these and not the Bose QC3, 13 Oct. 2013
I bought the Bose QC3 for my boyfriend a couple of years ago and they are great, however, when I decided to look into buying a set of noise cancellers for me, I didn't want to spend as much and also, I really wanted a set of wireless ones.
Now the Bose headset really sets a high standard and I wanted something of a similar sound quality to those, that were just as a capable of noise cancelling to which the Bose are well known for being market leaders at. The sound is ever so crisp on the Bose set as well.

After a lot research, I was set on buying these Sennheisers, because everything about them ticked all of the boxes for my requirements: the size of the unit, price, ease of charging, wireless, case included, simple to fold away and store, lightweight, you can use them as a wired headset too (cable included), and I also liked the controls that are present on the headset (ok and also the flashing blue light! - very gimmicky)

I was a little excited yet nervous when they arrived, the packaging was really professional and well laid out, plus easy to get into which always helps.
I downloaded the electronic manual from the Sennheiser website which I found easier to follow and use, plus I was able to have a little read of it prior to the item arriving which was a great idea.
At first it can be tricky to get your mind around how to set up and use the headphones (different light flashing and button pressing combinations) but once you give it a go you quickly memorise what each function is for and how to get there.

The sound - I'm not a technical person or a pro with these types of reviews but what I can say is that I'm not gutted at all that I didn't spend extra money to get the Bose QC3 for myself. I love the sound quality and the sound is clear and with a lot of range - you can hear some bass too. All in all, perfect for the wide ranging types of music that I listen to and not once have I ever questioned the sound or the quality of the sound. Sometimes you can buy a headset and juts know from the start that they are not right for you. Well I've never had that trouble with these.

I'm please to say that my boyfriend is a little jealous of my headset because I can wonder around the house and leave my phone (where my music is on and my headset is connected to) on the side in the lounge and make myself a quick cuppa or even do the washing up, if I fancy it. To not have the physical wire there just gives you the freedom to really relax and move about without being restricted to a cable length.

I can even lay back and read a book or play on my iPad for a bit - or stream TV on the iPad and connect my headset to that instead.

The Bluetooth range is pretty good, I can pop to the room next door at home with no trouble, or run upstairs to grab something from my room, however I always tend to have my devices around me anyway, so it don't necessarily need a long range as such.

Battery life - I use them a few times a week, maybe for 30 mins at at time and I've only charged them up a handful of times. So, in my opinion they last well for the use that I have bought them for. Also, I don't find that it drains my device battery life. I guess it really depends on the types of usage you are buying them for - as always, carefully read the spec fully before you commit to buying a product like this so that you know what to expect and don't become quickly disappointed when they arrive!

I would recommend that you visit the Sennheiser site to read the full specs and also do download the manual whilst you are there (PDF format).

I know that this is a very basic review, but as an amateur consumer, I really wanted to let any browsers know that these are a great set of headphones and that they put up a great fight against the QC3 too.
Give them a go! If you don't get on with them you can return them anyway, but in sure that won't be the case for most users.

I used to borrow my boyfriend's Bose all the time and now I never go anywhere near them!
Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic light headphones, 17 Aug. 2013
I rarely write reviews, so a product must have me needing to say a lot about it for that to happen.

Took these on holiday with me. On the plane they were not mind blowing at noise cancellation but got the job done, the wireless bluetooth feature is priceless in this situation while I was using my phone for music as it takes out the need of having to use a wire, and when you're trying to eat in a cramped economy seat the last thing u need is a wire hanging around.

In fact, I've grown to love the wireless functionality so much that it is now my primary way of listening to music, I'm even wearing them right now. Once your device is paired with the headset, from then on all you do is switch on the Sennheiser MM450 and it will almost instantly connect to your bluetooth device.

You can also skip tracks, pause, make and receive calls, all of which work fantastically. Charging is simple...any microUSB charger will do...though bare in mind bluetooth with noise cancellation will naturally drain much quicker and is something I wouldnt recommend doing.

This brings me onto my second point: the noise cancellation makes the sound quality a lot better. Which is quite annoying when your using it in bluetooth. Im not an audio buff but the change in sound quality is significant, I personally undermined this issue when others complained about it, but if you want the best audio quality but dont mind sacrificing battery life...then keep noise cancellation on.

Regardless of these minor set backs, this headset is very unique and I am very much enjoying my experience with them. It feels so well made and is just so damn light, you wouldn't want to use anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best headphones I have used, 23 Nov. 2012
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit sceptical about these, as the high price would put many off. I have a couple of bluetooth speakers for my phone, but at times you just want to listen to the music without disturbing anyone else. Very easy to pair when you first switch them on, extremely lightweight (I was expecting heavier), very comfortable (I wear specs and usually these type dig in the the arm hurting my ears after time) and surprising sound quality.

I listened to different styles of music, classical, opera, rock, reggae, pop, ballads, podcasts, talking books etc to test the range of clarity. The clarity is very impressive, especially on vocal performances like opera and pop, with clear notes on classical and podcasts. Reggae was good but lacked a deep bass that you need for a good beat, so a slight downside with the bass.

They fold away into a small footprint and fit nicely into a bag (supplied). Charging is done by the USB lead, and if you have no bluetooth audio device, you can use the lead that is supplied so they are like normal headphones. This is brilliant if you have an iPod nano, but you can notice a small low rumbling from the lead connection, which is not present over bluetooth.

Where these headphones come in is with bluetooth, no wires and higher clarity. There is also a button for noise cancelling. Although it won't eliminate all background noise, it does suppress it considerably, great for public transport listening or in loud environments.

If connected to your phone for playing music through, as they have a microphone, they also act as a bluetooth hands free headset to allow calls. I tried this and sound quality was very good with clear voices, even though you do get odd looks from people around who thing you are talking to yourself.

Nice headphones but pricey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, Great Sounding, Easy to Use Headphones, 17 Sept. 2012
I've been looking to buy some decent noise cancelling headphones for a while now. Having tried Bose Silent Comfort 15 headphones in shops, I was pretty sure I'd go for them when I made my purchase. However, while looking at customer reviews for Bose I changed my mind. I've had the MM450-X for a few days now, and they've had lots of use already. I work from home, so being able to 'shut out' the noise of the house was my main requirement - and I have to say, they work a treat. They're easy to pair with via the Bluetooth connection (so far I've used them with my MacBook Pro and Blackberry) and sound great. The sound is far better with the NoiseGuard system enabled (I'm not sure why this would be) - the only downside of which is that there is an audible hum if NoiseGuard is enabled but now sound it playing through the headphones, but I think this is the case with most active noise cancellation systems.

They're comfortable to wear too. I wear glasses, so over the ear headphones usually end up irritating my (by applying too much pressure to arms of my glasses). These are on the ear and give a good, firm but not tight fit. They're also light at just over 100 grams. The battery charges via a 240v adapter, but also via USB, which is really handy, and seems to last well on a full charge. If the battery runs out, or you don't have a Bluetooth option, but headphones work well with the jack lead.

Overall I'm really impressed and would highly recommend to anyone with similar needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable headphones to wear, 19 Jun. 2014

Pros:
2. Good build quality. Materials look like they will last a long time, appart from the battery and battery lid, both seem a little flimsy)
3. Noise cancellation works well but does make the sound slightly hollow.
4. Folds flat so its easy to carry. Although it twists side ways, it doesn't allow much other movement.

Cons:
1. Could not get them to connect to my laptop or home PC using standard bluetooth as they have security locks from work so I can't change the drivers etc. I didn't have this problem with my little Jawbone headset or previous logitech headset. Luckily I brought the BTD500 USB Bluetooth and it pairs straight away, in my view they should include it with the headset. I resent having to pay to get something that should work already.
2. The microphone is very poor. I didn't find many reviews which mention the microphone, but if you plan on using it to make calls then do it in a quiet room. Even on my own, people on the other line said I sounded like I was standing far away, in a busy office, they had problems hearing me.
3. The headset it very very tight. Even my wife who is very petite found them unbearable for more than 10 minutes when she borrowed them for a conference call. Stretching them doesn't really work as there is a metal headband around the top and also the ears themselves are angled inwards with elbows at either side that don't flex preventing them from straightening.

I will prob end up giving this headset away as I find them uncomfortable. I didn't want to make the mistake so I tried a few in store today and will likely end up buying some Bose AE2W for comfort or Philips SHB7000 for cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these!, 30 Aug. 2013
I'd done heaps of research on what headphones to buy after owning a decent pair of Bose headphones for nearly five years. After testing many headphones in stores, I just wasn't that impressed with many Sony, Beats by Dre and other high-end headphones available.

I was tempted by the wireless abilities of these and can confirm the sound is outstanding. After a few days of 'breaking them in', I've now found an incredible depth of sound.

These sound amazing with the noise cancellation switched OFF. I've given these to others to try and test and they were blown away at how crisp the sound was, whilst also appreciating decent bass levels.

The wireless connection is great and I haven't had any problems. I'd recommend purchasing an extra battery so you're covered on long journeys. The battery tends to last around 9 hours so that's pretty good.

There is one drawback, with the noise cancelling feature switched on there is a loss in sound quality and bass levels start to sound very tinny. The noise cancellation feature isn't amazing but then again I don't think many headphones can compare to the Bose QC 3's or 15's. However, these are great for when you're sitting on trains/buses/planes and wanting to block out the annoying 'commuter phone calls' that everyone seems to have in the mornings. The cancellation sound levels are good on 90% of songs but you may need to turn the music down or turn the cancellation off if you're in really noisy environments that require cancellation combined with high sound levels. The only experience I've had where the sound struggled with cancellation turned on was standing next to the train window with the train going 80mph+ with the window open. So in general this won't affect you.

Despite the noise cancellation sound issue, with the cancellation switched ON and music up to a decent level - you really won't hear much outside. These headphones don't leak much sound at all. I've tested them with friends and they were impressed at how loud the sound was considering they couldn't hear any noise leakage. There is a little but nothing for people to start noticing you on the train or at work. This is great, considering the Beats by Dre 'phones leak alot.

The headphones come with a wired option so if you're listening to songs on a computer you can always plug in and listen without needing to use the battery power. Great for a backup. I've heard the Bose headphones and many others simply stop working if the batteries are dead. This is a great addition.

The buttons on the side of these are easy to work after a few days of having them and getting used to their positioning. There's a decent 'talk through' option which lets you pause your music while turning on an external microphone so you can hear what's going on 'outside' without having to pause your music manually and take off your headphones. A gimmick but a nice touch.

I'd highly recommend these to anyone, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good they sound. Especially considering they're totally wireless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound quality indeed, 27 Oct. 2013
Mr. John Beardmore (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Great sound, though I've also had nearly as good results with Samsung and Panasonic. Controls work well. Folds up quite nicely.

On the down sides, the anti-noise doesn't work well in any circumstance I've yet tried, and a long days use will use the whole battery. On a brighter note, you can buy spare batteries, so they aren't scrap when the battery wares out, and you can swap in another battery towards the end of a long day.

If I was spending my money again, maybe I'd have saved 50 quid and done without the anti-noise feature which basically seems useless.

Presumably anti-noise is useful for some kinds of noise, but breaking waves and trains don't seem to be it. Maybe aircraft ?

J/.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with what you want this item for!, 8 Jan. 2014
So far had very little success in pairing this up with my iPad(s). Been to the Apple shop and they were no help. They couldn't pair it up to their iPads either.
Looking at the reviews on Sennheiser's own website (wish I had looked there first), this seems to be a big issue.
I have tried to be in touch with Sennheiser's customer service - by Twitter, now going to email them. In perfect world this item would go back and I would get something else.
I have had 4 pairs of Sennheiser in-ear headphones, all have been excellent. The sound on these headphones is pretty good BUT when you buy a set of Bluetooth Headphones, you do so because you don't want to use a wire!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones, 16 Sept. 2012
Steve (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Before buying these I tried the Nokia Bluetooth headphones. That was a huge mistake, they were poorly made and broke quickly. Amazon did not want to replace them and offered the Sennheiser as a replacement. I got lucky, these are truly fantastic. Noise cancelling works well, bluetooth works well, headphones fit well and fold into a small size. Love them. Oh .. I nearly forgot to mention that they sound wonderful.

Update
I have used these for a year now and they are holding up well, they still look new and work well. My only complaint is the little door on the charging socket is flimsy and getting ready to drop off. But that is a small issue, I still love the product and would buy again.