5.0 out of 5 stars Skillfully told!
Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by David Faxon

2.0 out of 5 stars Cant finish it!!
Published on 14 Nov. 2012 by patsy

5.0 out of 5 stars Skillfully told!, 29 Mar. 2012
David Faxon (Glastonbury, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
The Butterfly Legacy held my interest throughout. The dialogue is crisp, characters believable, and the story includes sights and smells so the reader gets a good feel for the places described whether it be the NH woods or the west coast of Ireland. I think that's important. Rice introduces plenty of conflict in the first 25 pages. I particularly liked how she traced the origin of the blight; interesting piece of history that sets up well what follows. It shows just how much impact that event had on the Irish.
I like fast forwards and flashbacks. The story begins in NH of 1952 then flashes back to 1845 so the reader becomes intrigued by what happens to one family's history during the century in between. You are taken to another time, another place, and it's a good trip!
Five stars.

David Faxon

2.0 out of 5 stars Cant finish it!!, 14 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
This is the only book I have ever found frustrating enough to put down whilst half way through. (Yes, I did try) Apart from being littered with words like, 'ting','tinking', (lest we forget we are reading about the Irish (!), I simply could not plough through another page. The clumsy, almost childlike style of writing which probably added a third to the book's length, was too much -- not to mention the implausible nonsense to boot! I think I finally gave up whilst wondering how Thomas had amassed his wealth, and how Will had managed to go through the process of accessing this fortune - (from the middle of some wood or other).
Actually still wondering how Kathleen's eavesdropping (revealed to no-one) ever got passed on!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly legacy, 4 May 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
I found this book hard to begin with but its very interesting when you get into it and the beginning is exp1ained when you get further into the book. Its about the Irish troub1es with the character te11ing the story to his wife about his ancestor. From reading this book i wanted to know more about the potato famine and lord parmarstons role in the irish troubles. From Ireland to america the story unfolds.
A great book to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched but not from a habitual fiction writer, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
The level of research and detail in this book was astounding and the plot kept moving along, with easy transition between the two time periods in which it was set. However the writing in some places was difficult to get along with and gave the impression that the author is more used to factual writing than to fiction crafting. It did, however, hold my interest throughout and fulfilled what for me is an important function of novels with historical settings, which is to allow me to understand the time and events in a rounder way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated but worth it!, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. A condensed history of Ireland's troubles, with a modern love story running throughout.
Well researched - a great read .

5.0 out of 5 stars The butterfly legacy, 3 Mar. 2013
Alma Mason (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
Read this in one go just couldn't put it down. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a mystery, history and a love story

5.0 out of 5 stars A excellent read, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly Legacy (Kindle Edition)
I got this book while it was free but after reading it I would happily have paid for it. It is unlike the books which I usually read, I like romance or a mystery story. This tells the story of Nelly and the generations which follow. It is set in Ireland and follows the tragedy that follows Nelly and her twins one which was separated from her.

Well worth a read!