Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.13

on 2 November 2012
This little book is great for new (like myself) and experienced (I presume) Linux users alike. You can read some of the early sections as a standalone introduction to Linux commands if you want, but its real strengths lie in looking up terminal commands - online articles or forum posts will often instruct you to type something in the terminal and hit Enter, without explaining what the command means or describing the numerous options and what they're for. Sometimes you can't even find that sort of info from online Linux help pages, and in those cases this book is indispensable. To illustrate this, I lent this book to a friend two weeks ago and in that time I've found myself wishing I still had it about half a dozen times!
on 5 April 2013
In a nutshell: If you work with Linux in any way you need this book. Full stop. Not only is it a great reference for day-to-day commands (for novice and expert alike), but it is also a book you can dip into and almost always learn something new and helpful.

As a contract software developer I'm frequently working with the Linux CLI, especially for production deployments, but increasingly on a day-to-day basis as I made the switch to Ubuntu a few years back for my primary (Java) development box. Recently with the rise of extremely useful virtualisation tools such as Vagrant [...], even my MS Windows loving friends are interacting with Linux on a much more regular basis. This trend is only set to increase as the "DevOps" movement gains more and more acceptance. Accordingly, anyone using Linux need several tools in their printed toolbox, ranging from the complete "weighty-tome" reference to a "pocket guide" which will become dog-eared and tatty as you refer to it on a daily basis. This book lands firmly and very successfully in the latter category.

This book is A5 size and only 200 pages long, but it's amazing how much information is crammed in. Practically every command you will ever need is documented here (unless you are doing some crazily esoteric stuff), along with syntax and an excellent description of what the associated flags and switches do. There are also excellent references for tools such as Vim and Crontab, which I find myself referring to on a weekly basis. If I'm stuck with a programming problem and want to give my brain a break I will often open up this book on a random page and start reading - I've lost count of the amount of 'how cool is that...' moments I've had when I discover either a new command or a new flag to a command I've used for years.

I've recently switched to Mac OS X for my primary development box, and if like me you are a OS X power user who is frequently opening the Terminal window then you will find a lot of the information in this book is very useful to you as well. However, bear in mind that although OS X's roots are firmly in Unix it has diverged from this OS in several key areas, and as such several of the commands are different (vmstat vs vm_stat), have different syntax (netstat) or give different output (top). But this takes nothing away from this book, and obviously it is clearly targeted at Linux, not Mac.

If you are looking for further reading to enhance your Linux skills, I would also recommend the follwoing 'weighty-tomes' complete references in addition to this book - Pro Linux System Administration (Expert's Voice in Open Source) and Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook, both of which are never out of reach from my desk.

As you've probably guessed from the rest of the review, I can't recommend this book enough! The author has done a great job
on 7 June 2012
Whilst I'm not new to Linux, I am new to using the command line in a bit more depth.
This book, along with a short course I'm doing is invaluable.

It contains all of the commands you are actually likely to need.
It doesn't give all commands and it doesn't give all options but it makes an ideal beginner reference book.

The only problem I've found is that sometimes the explanations are a little sparse so I think it assumes you have some knowledge - but then again it doesn't purport to teach - just be a reference.

if you're doing a course to learn about CLI or you're happy to search elsewhere for explanations then this is

Highly recommended
on 24 June 2013
This book is exactly what it claims. An handbook for beginners to get used to command line. In hindsight I should have purchased a hard copy than the kindle version I did. It would make a good referencing material when stuck.
on 12 September 2012
Just the right amount of information, for new starter, or forgetful user alike, presented in a friendly, easy to grasp way, but still enough information for most Linux users. Not a total, all inclusive guide to every Linux command, but plenty for the average system user, or budding system administrator. If you are already a Linux expert, you don't need this, but if you are new to the Linux shell, any flavour, or just need a quick reference to the most used commands, in plain speak, this is for you.
on 24 January 2015
A good reference for most common tasks but if you don't know anything about linux you will need to buy some additional books. The publication is from 2012 and some items are outdated. The linux introduction is only covered on a very high level. An up to date and more comprehensive publication would be a better buy.
on 28 December 2013
Gives example commands for everyday activities, but I'd want another guide (or "man" or internet!) for details on all switches and arguments. Includes a crash course in BASH and file permissions, and other useful stuff. Would benefit from general info. on regular expressions.

The stuff on Firefox, Thunderbird and other GUI programs seemed out of place-- I think a guide this short should focus on command line tools.
on 25 August 2014
Very clear explanations, and even gives examples of use to make things even easier.
It is not in alphabetical order by function but ordered by category, which can make it a bit slow to quickly skip to a function you want to check. However, there is a comprehensive index to solve this.
Much more pleasant than man pages in general for quick checks or clarification on usage. Definitely recommended.
on 10 October 2014
An excellent and very useful wee book. As an IT professional currently studying for Linux certification, I find this book an invaluable tool to have beside my desk and refer too when I am not sure of myself. It's the excellent complement to courses and/or tutorial.
on 15 August 2014
I loved it. It's first time for me to be in contact with Linux and this guide is helping me very much. It's simple written and easy to use. It's a must have for any beginner in Linux.