on 18 April 2012
I bought this book because I was determined to move from Photoshop Elements 9 to Lightroom and needed a text to get me going quickly. Well, this book is authoritive, but it is also very repetitive and thus quite slow going. In my opinion it is probably twice as thick (and perhaps proportionally expensive too) as it needs to be. I found the first two or three chapters hard going and it certainly did not give me the flying start I wanted. No one could fault its design and illustration, but it just takes a long time to get to the nitty gritty. Personally I resent reading what he is going to tell me and then a slow trawl through the details of doing it, with every possible combination of setup covered.

I think it needs an early chapter that gets over the business of importing my image files into the catalog (especially from PSE as that is very skimpily covered) and basic "development" methods and then later proceeds to all the embellishments and controls that are possible to customise it for your personal use. So I will be looking for some kind of quick and dirty (but safe) setup, which I can then refine using this book. I would also like to see more on the basic principles of how the program does what it does, especially in the develop module.

Maybe I am the exception, but this book is not giving me what I want and I am beginning to wonder whether Lightroom is going to be as easy to use as the LR adverts suggest. Maybe Photoshop Elements is quite adequate for my photographic needs. However I will persist.
55 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2012
Another excellent book (I have had the three previous versions). He writes clearly and explains not only what the software does but how best to make use of it. I find that the Lightroom Help screens give only the bald facts and I would really have struggled to learn to use it effectively without Martin's books. Highly recommended.
on 6 February 2013
I have to admit to bias: I think anything written by Martin Evening is worth the effort. So the comments that follow are coloured by that perception.

I wish I had bought the hard copy version. I read the book -no, I dip into it as needed- on a commonly available Tablet, and an Android phone. I am used to pinching an image to reduce its size, or the opposite to enlarge it. Works well for text, but not the images. They are all locked to their original size. This is my first purchase of a Kindle version of a book about photography.

The images in the book are important, key even. The Kindle format does not do them justice. A great shame.

The links in the Kindle version work: but since most people (I assume) will be reading on a device that probably hasn't got LR on it...... So the related source files, images to work on, and movies will need to be accessed on your PC or Mac. Added value, yes; but with a twist.

Evening's written style is careful; when he repeats himself there's good reason to do so. A little gentle humour here and there. But the effort he has made is obvious. Lots of attention to detail - a good deal of thinking things through from the user's perspective.

Nothing for it, I'll need to buy the hard copy as well. I'll try to make that mistake only once. That's good marketing is it?
on 7 February 2013
"You don't buy Martin Evening's books on Photoshop if you are a beginner".

This truism also extends to this volume which is aimed fairly and squarely at the professional or advanced amateur photographer.

That said, it gives a detailed account of the Lightroom program in technical but not dry language, importantly including explanations of why you might want to use this or that tool, as well as how to do it. It include workflows for those wishing to organise and control their photo collection and to process and retouch camera raw files.

Chapters on printing, exporting and presenting photo work are also included, each in the rigorous style for which this author is well-known.

For me, this is what I wanted and it gets five stars, but for a beginner this is probably not the best book to choose.
on 5 January 2014
I find this book excellent for Lightroom 4. It covers and explains all the features and lets you know what can be done and what cannot. I am really pleased that I bought it. It is a handy reference book and also readable.
on 1 February 2013
An excellent book, I used the authors book on photoshop CS4. Coming from Photoshop and Bridge I had a difficulty seeing where Lightroom would fit into my workflow. With my first couple of uses of Lightroom i emulated the workflow that I was familiar with while using Bridge which ment Lightroom was little more than a keyword sorter for my images. The author writes clearly and explains functionality well, to make the most of lightrooms capabilities you need to really understand its image management system and the book did this very well. Lightroom is a large program with a lot of features. You won't learn it in a day or a week. But with the help of Martin's book you will learn to love it.
on 26 April 2013
IF YOU ARE NEW TO LIGHTROOM OR COMPUTER PHOTO PROCESSING THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU. I FOUND THIS BOOK WELL CONSTRUCTED BUT THOUGHT THAT IT WAS FAR TOO COMPLICATED FOR A NEW USER OF LIGHTROOM. IN A LOT OF CASES IT SEEMED TO ASSUME THAT I KNEW ABOUT PREVIOUS LIGHTROOM EDITIONS. PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED FOR SOMETHING 'FOR DUMMIES' AS WHILE I COULD FOLLOW SOME OF THE INSTRUCTIONS I THEN GOT LOST DUE TO NO PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE OR USE OF LIGHTROOM. I HAVE USED ANOTHER SYSTEM FOR PROCESSING MY PHOTOS WITH GOOD RESULTS AND WANTED TO 'UPGRADE' BUT I FOUND THIS DIFFICULT TO DO WITH THIS BOOK AS AN AID TO UNDERSTANDING LIGHTROOM 4 AND OBTAINING ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME.
on 20 April 2012
Excellent read very useful and informative book very good explanation on every stage of Lightroom works well in the kindle software on the ipad
on 22 March 2013
What is strange is the author's admission that having been involved in the develpment of the software and the need to design it to be intuitive that one then needs a book of this size. I think it will be a great reference guide in time and it is assisting initially but to maximise the value it appears necessary to digest the entire book. I would have preferred a simpler and better quide on the workflow aspect to ensure more confidence in establishing this first but longlasting initial step.
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2013
I recently bought this book as I was bought lightroom 4 as a present, and I found I needed a manual for it, as it is quite daunting software at first glance, so I searched Amazon and I saw this book, by Martin Evening, it's a great book,
It by and large helps to understand lightroom 4
It gets a little ploddy at times but it is a thorough book, and a great reference,
so I can recommend this book,
So if you need help with lightroom 4 buy this book