5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 4 by Martin Evening
Another excellent book (I have had the three previous versions). He writes clearly and explains not only what the software does but how best to make use of it. I find that the Lightroom Help screens give only the bald facts and I would really have struggled to learn to use it effectively without Martin's books. Highly recommended.
Published on 25 April 2012 by BD

3.0 out of 5 stars Indigestion
I bought this book because I was determined to move from Photoshop Elements 9 to Lightroom and needed a text to get me going quickly. Well, this book is authoritive, but it is also very repetitive and thus quite slow going. In my opinion it is probably twice as thick (and perhaps proportionally expensive too) as it needs to be. I found the first two or three chapters...
Published on 18 April 2012 by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 29 Mar 2013
Paul Breakell (Ramsgate Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I recently bought this book as I was bought lightroom 4 as a present, and I found I needed a manual for it, as it is quite daunting software at first glance, so I searched Amazon and I saw this book, by Martin Evening, it's a great book,
It by and large helps to understand lightroom 4
It gets a little ploddy at times but it is a thorough book, and a great reference,
so I can recommend this book,
So if you need help with lightroom 4 buy this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference manual, 22 Mar 2013
What is strange is the author's admission that having been involved in the develpment of the software and the need to design it to be intuitive that one then needs a book of this size. I think it will be a great reference guide in time and it is assisting initially but to maximise the value it appears necessary to digest the entire book. I would have preferred a simpler and better quide on the workflow aspect to ensure more confidence in establishing this first but longlasting initial step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 17 Mar 2013
This is the one you want! Possible a little thin on the index - 15 pages for a 600 page book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book, 11 Feb 2013
This is an excellent book The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for anyone with a digital camera and digital workflow needs .. anybody who uses Lightroom should read this book

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guide for Professionals, 7 Feb 2013
"You don't buy Martin Evening's books on Photoshop if you are a beginner".

This truism also extends to this volume which is aimed fairly and squarely at the professional or advanced amateur photographer.

That said, it gives a detailed account of the Lightroom program in technical but not dry language, importantly including explanations of why you might want to use this or that tool, as well as how to do it. It include workflows for those wishing to organise and control their photo collection and to process and retouch camera raw files.

Chapters on printing, exporting and presenting photo work are also included, each in the rigorous style for which this author is well-known.

For me, this is what I wanted and it gets five stars, but for a beginner this is probably not the best book to choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle format doesn't do the content justice: buy both(?), 6 Feb 2013
Ian (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I have to admit to bias: I think anything written by Martin Evening is worth the effort. So the comments that follow are coloured by that perception.

I wish I had bought the hard copy version. I read the book -no, I dip into it as needed- on a commonly available Tablet, and an Android phone. I am used to pinching an image to reduce its size, or the opposite to enlarge it. Works well for text, but not the images. They are all locked to their original size. This is my first purchase of a Kindle version of a book about photography.

The images in the book are important, key even. The Kindle format does not do them justice. A great shame.

The links in the Kindle version work: but since most people (I assume) will be reading on a device that probably hasn't got LR on it...... So the related source files, images to work on, and movies will need to be accessed on your PC or Mac. Added value, yes; but with a twist.

Evening's written style is careful; when he repeats himself there's good reason to do so. A little gentle humour here and there. But the effort he has made is obvious. Lots of attention to detail - a good deal of thinking things through from the user's perspective.

Nothing for it, I'll need to buy the hard copy as well. I'll try to make that mistake only once. That's good marketing is it?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lightroom bible!, 5 Feb 2013
Mr. N. Williams "Neilenator" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
You have to be into your photography to want this weighty tome but if you are serious about using the software its the only book to have. Another masterpiece from Mr Evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book, I used the authors book on photoshop CS4. Coming from Photoshop and Bridge I had a difficulty seeing where Lightroom would fit into my workflow. With my first couple of uses of Lightroom i emulated the workflow that I was familiar with while using Bridge which ment Lightroom was little more than a keyword sorter for my images. The author writes clearly and explains functionality well, to make the most of lightrooms capabilities you need to really understand its image management system and the book did this very well. Lightroom is a large program with a lot of features. You won't learn it in a day or a week. But with the help of Martin's book you will learn to love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best guide for Lightroom 4, 25 Jan 2013
This book covers all possible aspects of Lightroom in great detail.
I thoroughly recommend it, there will be other guides that are cheaper but if you need just one book on Lightroom 4 buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom Rocks, 17 April 2012
David PM Young (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
A well written book and not by an American! It has all the information you could ever want. The index section is very helpful; as too is the nature of the way the book is written. It does what it says on the tin, it is very Complete. Scott Kelby's books are also very good on Lightroom, I am currently waiting to buy his version of Lightroom 4 book for photographers. He has a hard act to follow.