5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 4 by Martin Evening
Another excellent book (I have had the three previous versions). He writes clearly and explains not only what the software does but how best to make use of it. I find that the Lightroom Help screens give only the bald facts and I would really have struggled to learn to use it effectively without Martin's books. Highly recommended.
Published on 25 April 2012 by BD

3.0 out of 5 stars Indigestion
Published on 18 April 2012 by David Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Indigestion, 18 April 2012
David Walsh (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I was determined to move from Photoshop Elements 9 to Lightroom and needed a text to get me going quickly. Well, this book is authoritive, but it is also very repetitive and thus quite slow going. In my opinion it is probably twice as thick (and perhaps proportionally expensive too) as it needs to be. I found the first two or three chapters hard going and it certainly did not give me the flying start I wanted. No one could fault its design and illustration, but it just takes a long time to get to the nitty gritty. Personally I resent reading what he is going to tell me and then a slow trawl through the details of doing it, with every possible combination of setup covered.

I think it needs an early chapter that gets over the business of importing my image files into the catalog (especially from PSE as that is very skimpily covered) and basic "development" methods and then later proceeds to all the embellishments and controls that are possible to customise it for your personal use. So I will be looking for some kind of quick and dirty (but safe) setup, which I can then refine using this book. I would also like to see more on the basic principles of how the program does what it does, especially in the develop module.

Maybe I am the exception, but this book is not giving me what I want and I am beginning to wonder whether Lightroom is going to be as easy to use as the LR adverts suggest. Maybe Photoshop Elements is quite adequate for my photographic needs. However I will persist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 4 by Martin Evening, 25 April 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars askerr, 5 Jan 2014
I find this book excellent for Lightroom 4. It covers and explains all the features and lets you know what can be done and what cannot. I am really pleased that I bought it. It is a handy reference book and also readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 20 April 2012
Mr. G. Jones "G JONES" (LONDON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read very useful and informative book very good explanation on every stage of Lightroom works well in the kindle software on the ipad

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what is says., 2 Oct 2013
If you have read any other of Martin Evening's books you will not be disappointed. It becomes clear from the start that he was involved with the development of this programme and therefore has an in depth knowledge of what the programme is about and what it can do. However, if you require simple explanations then, go for one of the more basic and cheaper books because it may just a bit too technical for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, 3 July 2013
I purchased Lightroom 4, and learned my way round the programme to the points that I need. I have been looking for a reference book and purchased this, by using the book I have now increased my knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your patient Lightroom teacher, 23 Jun 2013
A good investment for the serious photographer, but need to be read slowly and thorougly. I see no aspect that is not covered, everything you need, and probably more, is here.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 28 May 2013
I think the author meant it when he said he had tried to keep it simple, but I don't think he can recall what it's like to be a relative beginner at using photographic software. This book is anything but simple. It is very difficult to find one's way through it, and there is no definition of fundamental terms. Too much is taken for granted with the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIGHTROOM 4 MARTIN EVENING, 27 April 2013
D. E. Banks - See all my reviews
I have used Evening's manuals since I got into Adobe products and I'm now used to his style and format, however to some his style may be a little too heavy or complex. But stay with it and you won't be disappointed

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR A BEGINNER, 26 April 2013
IF YOU ARE NEW TO LIGHTROOM OR COMPUTER PHOTO PROCESSING THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR YOU. I FOUND THIS BOOK WELL CONSTRUCTED BUT THOUGHT THAT IT WAS FAR TOO COMPLICATED FOR A NEW USER OF LIGHTROOM. IN A LOT OF CASES IT SEEMED TO ASSUME THAT I KNEW ABOUT PREVIOUS LIGHTROOM EDITIONS. PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED FOR SOMETHING 'FOR DUMMIES' AS WHILE I COULD FOLLOW SOME OF THE INSTRUCTIONS I THEN GOT LOST DUE TO NO PREVIOUS KNOWLEDGE OR USE OF LIGHTROOM. I HAVE USED ANOTHER SYSTEM FOR PROCESSING MY PHOTOS WITH GOOD RESULTS AND WANTED TO 'UPGRADE' BUT I FOUND THIS DIFFICULT TO DO WITH THIS BOOK AS AN AID TO UNDERSTANDING LIGHTROOM 4 AND OBTAINING ALL THE BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME.