4.0 out of 5 stars Perseverance is the answer
It's worth bearing in mind, that if you have a huge area to do and you have small tiles (i.e 100mm x 100mm) that this could take a huge amount of time and effort, therefore you might want to consider a re-tile of the area?. Also, it's aimed at the DIY market.

Published on 17 April 2012 by Mr. S. M. Berry

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but no magic fix; very time consuming
---SUMMARY---
A handy gadget that is effective but certainly no magic fix: you should not underestimate the investment of time required.

---WHAT’S IN THE BOX ---
- Grout remover
- 2.5m cable
- Allen key
- Two blades
- instructions

---IN USE---
The grout remover is easy to start using; the blades are easy to...
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but no magic fix; very time consuming, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Vitrex VITGO200VT Grout Removal Tool 230V Grout Out (DIY & Tools)
---SUMMARY---

---WHAT’S IN THE BOX ---
- Grout remover
- 2.5m cable
- Allen key
- Two blades
- instructions

---IN USE---
The grout remover is easy to start using; the blades are easy to fit. Within 30 seconds of opening the packet you can be removing grout!

The grout remover has 3 settings, reflecting the intensity of the vibrations. Would recommend you wear eye protection and dust mask while using it, as small bits of grout fly everywhere!

Be warned that it is very noisy: I found this restricted the hours that I could use it – ruling out early morning and late evening DIY, unfortunately.

I tried various techniques and settled on fast light strokes to begin with followed by slower more precise strokes. This combination seemed most effective to me.

The key point to note, however, is that this is very time consuming. When I bought it I naively assumed that since it is a power tool, it would be quick and easy: one simple stroke and the grout would be gone. This is not the case. Do not underestimate the time it takes to remove grout. I figure doing two walls around a shower took me well over 12 hours. Once I got up to speed I think I averaged around 1 minute per 10cm line. It requires a significant investment of time that should not be underestimated.

---VERDICT---

Pros
- Removes grout
- Better than a manual grout remover
Cons
- Very time-consuming
- Noisy

4.0 out of 5 stars Perseverance is the answer, 17 April 2012
Mr. S. M. Berry "simonb365" (Steeple Morden, Cambridge) - See all my reviews

The area I bought it for was about 8m2 around a bath. To start with the machine is not too heavy but it does vibrate a lot and therefore you wouldn't want to do it for hours on end without a break. Technique wise, I found it easier to do repeated 'scrapes' over each area to 'plane' it down to the required level of about 1.5 - 3mm to allow re-grouting, but you should be aware that it is a labour intensive exercise and whatever anyone tells you, it does take hours. That said, it does work and I found that the areas where the most water falls (i.e. directly under the shower area) the grout was much much harder and took loads of additional effort - so don't get despondent when you've been at it for 20 minutes and you've only done 300mm!

I presume that the super hard grout was due to a combination of the grout being old coupled with the scale in the hard water area we are in which must have soaked in over time.

So, in summary, a good little tool to use, but it does take time to get used to it and you will need a break to avoid numb hands due to the constant vibration. Perseverance will produce results, but in my opinion it simply not worth using on a massive area due to the time it takes to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little tool for the price, 15 Feb. 2013
Having started my re-grout of a fully tiled bathroom with a hand rake. I looked on line and found this and for the price I think it is great, a dam sight easier than doing the job by hand. Having read the other reviews I find it a little strange that people are writing it down.
The thing to remember when using this kind of tool is that the harder you push the less effect ( I use a compressed air chisel in my work so I am used to tools which work in this manor) The idea is to let the tool do the work push gentle and let the point do the work.
I did the whole bathroom in a day ok it's not a massive bathroom 8'x8' and the tiles are 9"x7" but it made the job a lot easier than doing it by hand. Grout out in one day re-grouted next no scratches on tiles no aching arm. As to whether it will last who cares at that price it was worth it just to get the job done and to be fair it is still working just as good as when I started the job.

A point to note though, which it should state on the box when using a tool of this sort you should have a break ever twenty minutes and make sure that your hands are warm at all times (this is important) as sustained and frequent repetitive use can lead to a medical condition commonly known as vibration white finger. Although it is unlikely to occur with a machine this small used over a short time period , it is something to be careful of any numbness stop and warm hand until full feeling returns. If symptoms persist consult a GP

Edit up Date
This unit has now done three fully tiled bathrooms one of which was twice the size of the above, each bathroom the grout was out in 1 day The unit is still working like new and the working tip is still as good as new so I am upping my rating to 5 star

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the job, 17 Feb. 2014
After reading lots of reviews on many websites , some of which were for and some against this item I decided to get it as the alternative
method of doing it manually did not appeal to me. Starting in a hidden area of tiling to get the hang of it I quickly realised this was going to take some time . It is quite noisy and vibration in the hand is quite uncomfortable after a couple of hours use , (I used it for a couple of hours a day for a week to do the job) . Using it slowly and carefully and it does the job perfectly , getting all the grout out , I now have a great looking bathroom with clean white grout . If you need to do the job then by getting the right tool for the job makes life so much easier. So I would recommend this to you , it takes time as working slowly and carefully really does provide a great finish ready for regrouting

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to much, 15 Mar. 2014
Pascalean (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to say I don't think it's possible to make a device like this that does the job as advertised. It never can have the power to really break up the grout (especially old grout that has properly hardened) because in doing so it would be very easy to damage the tiles as well. The manufacturer has struck a balance between power and delicateness and the result is a fairly impotent tool. My only achievement with the Grout Out was to remove a thin top coat that the previous homeowner had applied directly on top of the old grout, and very slowly at that.

Mine has been returned with the reason "Useless"

I'm afraid that re-grouting tiles is a very labourious job indeed. I found that a stanley knife with several packs of fresh blades was infinitely more effective and cheaper (for a single job) compared to the Grout Out. I am afraid that Vitrex in this case has used it's name to sell a superfluous item to unsuspecting DIYers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not powerful enough, 15 May 2013
Stopped using it after an hour, its just not got enough power to remove the grouting from my bathroom tiles. Maybe its the grout thats too hard but it only did around 3 feet before I gave up and went back to my hand scraper. It may work better on different grouts as some people have rated it as ok.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fell short of expectations, 27 April 2014
Removing grout is a real pain so anything that can make it easier is always welcome. Bought this product with this in mind but the product didn't really live upto expectations

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine didn't perfom anything like the video, 24 Mar. 2015
I bought this item to remove old tile grout from my shower room. Either I have very hard grout or the machine isn't up to it. I'd watched a You Tube clip of it being used and thought -"just what I need". It arrived in double quick time and my husband set to work. The round "chisel" simply bounced off the grout. He had slightly more success with the chisel bit but it still didn't make much of an impression. As with many of these You Tube "advertising clips", I think they either grouted the day before or used a very soft grout. Mine didn't perfom anything like the video !! I ended up buying what I ought to have done in the first place - an oscillating saw with a carbide grinder blade. Much more expensive but it does do the job - and fairly quickly too. In all honesty, I couldn't recommend this tool to anyone with more than a couple of tiles to re-grout - sorry. At least it didn't cost a fortune ............

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Usefull Tool, 4 Jan. 2014
First of all there is no easy way to remove old grout.
I found that this tool could not be used as the only tool for the job.
Where the original tiling and grouting had even slots and the grout had not hardened to mutch, it worked fine.
For areas of hardened grout (usually closest to the water exposure in a shower) were delt with by using a Bosch Multitool and then cleaned up with the ‘Grout Out’ tool.
I had read some bad reviews before purchase but was impressed with the video showing easy grout removal. One has to get use to the tool and develop a skill in using it, as with any tool. It is possible to damage the tiles so carfull use is necessary (as with any power tool on tiles). It may be that those with a negative review never used it long enough to develop the skill required because they gave up when trying to remove hard grout which it will not handle very well.
It can cause ‘White Finger’ if used continualy but this is not a problem if alternating between tools. Don’t press to hard and change your grip on the tool regularly.
Overall, I would reccomended it but in combination with other tools.

1.0 out of 5 stars What Out........, 29 Aug. 2013
Makes a load of noise
Doesn't remove grout unless the grout is about to fall out and the grout lines are 1 or 2mm wide
I tried to use this on my shower....
Useless