5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Tablet
Published on 22 Aug. 2012 by Freddy

Firstly, for the price (£65 with postage) this is a great product. It runs BBC iPlayer and Kindle perfectly. However, any app that tries to find your location will crash and the only way to use the device again is to power it down and restart it. The following apps do *NOT* work on this device -

Google Earth
Google Maps
Google Goggles
London...
Published on 1 Sept. 2012 by Simon Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Tablet, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: NATPC M010S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream, Sandwich) , 7" Android Tablet PC Responsive Capacitive Screen - Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook - HD 2160P - compatible with SKYPE VIDEO calling (Personal Computers)
I received this a little over 10 hours ago, 2 days before the earliest "expected delivery" date, so brilliant service, and have spent the day putting the tablet through it's paces. First appearances, It's fast, not even just for the money, but genuinely slick. It's a little plasticky, but it's well put together and feels solid. The screen is responsive and bright, the resolution isn't amazing, but is more than sufficient to read anything down to about 5 point font, so more than good enough for using the tablet as a kindle substitute. ICS is beautifully intuitive and fast OS. I've installed the BBC Iplayer app, (Flash 11.1 is pre-installed on the tab), and it works perfectly, no sound-sync issues or video stutter, which is impressive considering the price.

I've also been busy downloading all the apps I had on my previous tablet (the previous generation resistive edition of this), while checking emails/facebook/twitter, multitasking quite heavily for a single core, but this kept up well, with only very occasional momentary pauses before a click responded, so very impressed on that count. On the subject of emails, the on-screen keyboard is the ICS standard one and is easy to use, and more than sufficient for browsing easily with/writing short emails etc.

Then, having set it up for my everyday usage, I started testing the performance, which of course meant gaming. I installed temple run (surprisingly CPU heavy, often causes my friends Nexus S to hang), and it ran perfectly, without lag. It did romp through the battery (the table arrived with 72% charge, lasted about 4 hours with wi-fi running constantly, fair usage) a bit, but that's to be expected. The table is currently charging, so I'll try a run down from full battery and update this then. The forward facing camera works well with skype, tested a video call to myself using a friend's account to test the quality, and it's as good as the inbuilt webcam on my laptop (HP Pavillion dm4). The inbuilt speaker isn't the greatest, but then it'll hardly be used, since I'll mostly use this on the train with headphones. the inbuilt apps are fairly good, but thanks to fully available Play Store, there's a choice of hundreds of if you disagree with them. I also pace-raced against my sister's 7" Galaxy tab, launching the same app/downloading etc, and found that (probably thanks to not running a custom-build android, this runs pure ICS), the M010s was often faster to respond.

Overall an utterly amazing piece of kit for the price, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good small tablet but is unwilling to fork out for a more expensive branded model.

Update: I've now had this for a couple of weeks, and continue to be impressed. I've been using iplayer a fair bit, and I'm still surprised by just how well this tablet can stream video (both youtube and iplayer). I've found that the battery life with wi-fi on constantly and the screen turned up to full brightness is usually about 5 hours (there's a very good in-built battery use feature in ICS, which lets you keep track of what's using power easily). Without wi-fi, I've managed to stretch it to almost 8 hours use with the screen brightness right down. Also on the theme of battery use, locking the tablet reduces battery consumption to a minimal level, as with far more upmarket tablets, meaning that this tablet can (in my experience at least), be left turned on ready for immediate use, but locked for hours on end without draining the battery in much the same manner as an ipad. So after two weeks of using this, I'm still very pleased with it.

Further update: also, on the Google maps issue with black screens, if when google maps requests using gps to improve your location service you deselect the option and just use wi-fi network location, then maps works perfectly. Wi-fi location (at least in urban areas) can pinpoint you to about 20m radius, so is more than good enough for getting directions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tablet for a great price!, 27 Aug. 2012
Recently, I recommended this tablet on a bargain-sharing group I run. As a result, I was asked several questions about the tablet. In this review, I'll address the most commonly asked questions asked by my group, in the hope that it will help someone else!

Apps: (You DO have access to Google's 'Play Store' and all the apps therein).
Angry Birds: Works perfectly.
BBC iPlayer: Works perfectly, no lag, good sound.
Netflix: Works perfectly, streams with no issues. The sound can be quite low on some films though. I'd suggest speakers/earphones.
YouTube: Searches, plays and skips perfectly with very little buffering time required.
Kindle App: Set up in seconds and works perfectly.

Website based games/browsing:
Moshi Monsters: Allowed me to create/change a monster, so I *assume* this site will work fine.
Nick Jr: Allowed me to play non-keyboard games with very little problem.
Youtube: Streams and functions well using via the tablet's web browser.
Various text and/or flash based websites have loaded with very few issues.

The screen is pretty responsive (not quite as good as a £400 iPad, of course) and game play on websites, while perhaps *slightly* slow to load (in comparison with a laptop), is of a comparable speed to my flash-supporting Samsung Galaxy S Plus mobile, app speed is identical to my iPad2 so far (remember, the iPad doesn't support flash). App download speed is good, definitely comparable to the iPad2.

The casing of the unit does feel fairly robust (but not at all 'sleek'), and the screen feels like an average touch-screen smart phone, it's not cheap & nasty like the screen on some budget tablets might be.

Negatives: Certain apps, like Google Maps, have refused to work and have frozen the tablet/caused a black screen. I have taken the 'oh well, it's not an iPad after all!' approach to such issues and have just rebooted the tablet, deleted the offending app(s) and tried an alternative. The sound on the tablet is fine, but could be doing with being boosted a little when using some apps/sites. There can be some small issues with the touch-controls, in so much as you may find yourself having to repeatedly tap certain icons/links, but that also happens with my iPad2 occasionally.

For the price paid, I'm very impressed with this tablet, regardless of any small issues that have presented themselves to date. I've actually ordered two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth little tablet, 28 Aug. 2012
Surprised at the Android coolness for the price. The delivery was quick and appreciated.

The devices comes with
1. Tablet
2. Usb to mini usb connector
3. Mini usb to Usb adaptor
4. Power cable with plug
5. Instruction Manual
6. Few wallpapers and demo videos

PROS
1. Cheap
2. Responsive screen
3. Fast device with smooth animations (not an iPad killer but double thumbs up for the price)
4. Rooted out of the box with ICS build
5. All apps I have tried on Google play appstore works with this tablet.

CONS
1. Screen viewing angles are limited
2. Battery life is not great (2 -3 hrs). Can tune it for more juice with apps like advanced task killer
3. A bit plasticky and hence a cheap look
4. Browsing is a bit slow, needs some patience

I had some issues with some apps with the device out of the box and so I did a factory reset and issues seemed to go away. All apps since installed worked without a hitch.
I can confirm that the device can be over clocked to 1.2 Ghz using SetCPU have not noticed any real difference.

The case I have used with this device is Belton Faux Leather Hard Carrying Case for 7" Tablets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Budget Tablet- NATPC M010S 8Gb, 28 Sept. 2012
E. Gomez "evamar" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is our first and only tablet PC, we don't have an expensive item such as an apple ipad to compare it to.

We are extremely happy with it, as it does most of what we want it for and a bit more. We have had it for a couple months now, and so far it has been a reliable unit. Good for email, internet, music, ebooks and generally keeping us connected or entertained while commuting, which is basically what we wanted it for as we "enjoy" a 3-4 hours commuting every day. The only negative and the reason why we are not giving it a 5 star review is that some apps such as Google Maps and others that look for your position don't work with this particular tablet and that was something that would have been extremely helpful when finding our way around London. Other than that, we are very happy and think that it's fantastic for the price.

Respectable battery life with a mixed use, about 3 hours, longer when wi-fi disconnected. Adecuately fast, and with a good responsive screen, it was actually a surprise to see what a great little tablet it actually is, as we expected a medium quality product at this price.

No way we would spend a lot of money on a tablet whith too many things that we wouldn't use or simply to show off a flashy name, so if you are like us or simply want to give your kids something good but cheap to keep your expensive one safe, this is it.

UPDATE: There are a couple answers to my feedback saying that 4 stars are "unfair as the description mentioned that it didn't support GPS". Nope, it didn't mention that it didn't support it, just as it didn't mention that it did. There was no mention at all about this when we bought it and it was a surprise not to be able to use Google maps and similar apps. So I stand by my mark of 4 stars and I do say how good this tablet is in other respects.

2ND UPDATE: I just read a feedback about how to get around the GPS problem, simply by using the wi-fi to locate position, which is perfect as there are plenty of free wi-fi spots in London. Great idea, many thanks FREDDY. 5 stars now.

And I have bought a second tablet even before reading the way around the GPS issue. So again, this should tell you how good this little tablet is. Save your hard earn money, this is a brilliant tablet at a fantastic price :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great device at the price but apps using location lock up the tablet, 1 Sept. 2012

Google Earth
Google Maps
Google Goggles
London Tube Status
SpeedTest
Met Office
Trip Advisor

There is a general problem with apps calling geolocation. As this device has no GPS nor phone connection, Android uses the WiFi signal to look up the location via Google's database collected when they did the StreetView filming and data collection.

I emailed Wendy at NATPC and she was very quick at replying and trying to help but could not solve the problem. I suspect there is a hidden setting somewhere that gives the wrong information back to the apps and this is what causes it to crash.

Still even with this, I give the device 3 stars and Wendy and NATPC deserve 5 stars for their speedy service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 23 Aug. 2012
This is the first android device I have owned, watched eBay plenty as I swotted up on what ICS and the specs actually stood for.

Purchased this primarily to play video's on for a plane trip with my 18 month old daughter as we go on a 4 hour flight next week as portable DVD players cost about the same and this could obviously do a whole lot more.

It's a very impressive little device, sure you can feel its no ipad but it's 10-20% of an ipad cost. Bit disappointed that its struggling 'off the bat' to function fully with my Virgin Superhub (but thats fixable), wifi works fine on all other non-Virgin wifi routers I have tried, like the BT routers in the office.

The screen is very responsive, Angry Birds plays flawlessly, charged the battery and it ran for a good 6 hours of a combo of wifi on/off (as I battled the Superhub) and wife playing angry birds and downloading bits using my iPhone 4 as an internet Hotspot (which worked fine). Turned off wifi and the battery only lost 10% power overnight which was good.

I'm going to buy a case though as that 'cheaper feel' makes me feel it won't survive many drops (and I regularly drop my iPhone loads yet don't worry as the thing is sturdy)

Would recommend to anyone wanting cheap and cheerful if you aren't one of those 'Apple or Die' people (or you'll be a bit disappointed).

--------------------
Small update, now love this unit totally, sorted WIFI just needed to fix static IP on tablet and on router, including adding the MAC address to router.
--------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy, 30 Mar. 2012
This tablet arrived within just three days over a weekend which was fantastic. I am not an IT expert but it worked out of the box and I am very pleased with it since it does do everything I wanted. I can use skype video calls with it, I watch the BBC i player on it and also listen to music and read books from Kindle and KOBO without a problem. The battery will last two hours with the wi-fi on but I am sure it will last about four hours without the wi-fi. The price was also very very good and I feel I have had a little bargain - and it is nice and small.

Update:- I downloaded a battery saving app on to my nice new tablet and it has "killed" my tablet - all I get now is the android logo and then a dark screen - may I advise you not to download a battery saving app on this tablet from bitter experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase and service, 31 Mar. 2012
Ordered late on Saturday and arrived first thing Wednesday morning. Really impressed with this tablet. Screen is very responsive and much better than more expensive tablets I have tried. Does everything it says and more... has uk android market to access many thousands of apps, plays bbci player perfectly, I downloaded kindle and various music players, uses Skype video after downloading latest version of Skype from the market. Had to contact Wendy as couldn't figure out the storage as I thought initially it had only 2GB however after several very prompt and responsive emails from Wendy discovered where I was going wrong !!... well done for really good after sales service. Plugged in 16GB usb stick which it recognised immediately and watched a film without any hitches whatsoever. Overall I can't fault the tablet and the after sales service .....definitely 5 star seller and 5 star product. The latest version of the tablet has android 4 installed and as I had purchased this one for my wife to use I think I might just go for the latest version for myself!

3.0 out of 5 stars natpc, 19 Sept. 2012
First i would like to say that the picture and video quality are very good and the back and frame is solid but the screen feels plastic and appears to flex a little and is also inset into the frame which makes it awkward to hit the on screen buttons as some of these are set in the corners.I am also having a lot of problems with the screen freezing alot so there is a lot of shutting down and re booting. There also seems to be a problem downloading some apps from googleplay and connecting to the internet sometimes.I havnt used Skype yet so can not comment.The sound i find poor on higher volume is tinny and vibrates and when in a case is really poor my orange sanfran cisco has far better sound quality.I am only making comments about the machine i have and of course other people will differ from me. THe item is what it is.NATPC M010S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.0 ICS (Ice Cream, Sandwich) , 7" Android Tablet PC Responsive Capacitive Screen - Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Amazon Kindle / Facebook - HD 2160P - compatible with SKYPE VIDEO calling

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but be specific!, 26 Nov. 2012
I bought this a month ago and the delivery was pretty good. I've bought it for my 5yo daughter, so getting a cover and screen protector is important. However, I simply can't get a cover to fit. I bought a cover and screen protector at the same time using the dimensions provided on the description.

However, the tablet I received is smaller than the one described here. And it doesn't look EXACTLY like the picture showed it. In my mind I assumed it was identical in dimensions to the M009 tablet but mine is smaller.

It is 182mm x 121mm so the cover and screen protector are too big.

Everything works fine, but the size difference has really annoyed me.

Because the M0010s is seemingly less popular than its sister the M009, finding a cover on amazon is tricky. Plus, I'm worried that when covers do become available, they will be to the specifications described here - and will be too big.

Another minor gripe is that when the unit arrived it had a couple of glue smears on the white pristine casing which cleaned off, while the screen has a couple of minute scratches. I expected the unit to be perfect when it arrived.

However, considering that in little under a month my daughter will in all likelihood get all kinds of muck on it, it seems wrong to complain.