5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, value and performance in one!
Published on 13 May 2012 by Paul Madge

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty TV
Published 15 months ago by James piddington

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, value and performance in one!, 13 May 2012
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UE40ES6710 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Smart TV with Built-in Wi-Fi - White (New for 2012) (Electronics)
After having owned a first generation Panasonic 32" LCD (which cost much more than this Samsung - 6 years ago) we are delighted with this upgrade. The Samsung UE40ES6710 ticks all the boxes for us - the size at 40" is just right - you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to the new larger size of TV. Remember, this is a full HD TV (as opposed to an HD ready type) which means the screen is a much higher resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels @ 400Hz), plus, you'll save on electricity bills as this "new generation" set uses only 40W max thanks to its LED lighting (our old LCD set used over 100W).

The picture quality from all sources (Digital/HD/Freesat/Internet are built in) is excellent. The LED lighting makes the picture look much sharper, and, the colours more vibrant due to significantly better contrast. There is also a feature called "Wide Colour Enhancer" which really does seem to make the picture even better, increasing the detail without making it look artificial. Fast motion is no problem for this set, and, gone are the days when "motion smears" were common around fast moving areas of the picture on an LCD screen. The set can also "upscale" non HD content. Another very positive aspect of this TV is that it is already fully wirelessly enabled, unlike some other brands, you do not have to buy an additional dongle to use this feature which can run to an additional 80 plus. We were surprised at the amount of internet content available, plus, the ability to access Facebook etc. on your TV is great. There is a Samsung App Store where you can download applications, many of which are free such as Skype etc.

We had been warned that the sound on these new slimmer sets is inclined to be tinny, but, on this set it is much better than we expected, although, in the longer term, we aspire to buying a sound bar or 2.1 sound system to get the most out of the sound capabilities on offer. Options on this Samsung set include a wide range of effects including Dolby SRS and Theatre Sound. The UE40ES6710 also has a generous selection of inputs - 3 HDMI ports, 3 USB ports, 1 SCART (by way of a supplied adaptor), although, it does not have an SD card slot which would have been welcome. You can use a USB memory stick to record and replay TV programmes plus there is ample connectivity for the Wii (via supplied adaptor), XBox etc. The set also sports a Digital Audio output and headphone socket.

We haven't really explored the 3D facility very much, but to cover a query raised on this page, the set comes with two sets of glasses which synch with the TV wirelessly. We are not too struck by 3D TV and find that once you are absorbed by the content of programmes the novelty soon pales - but, I accept, we are probably in a minority. We'll think again when "glasses free" 3D TV is established.

The aesthetics of this set are good too. It has a neat pedestal stand which can be removed for wall mounting, plus, we love the fact that the bezel round the screen is so narrow - despite being a 40" screen the set only takes up about 41" in width on our TV unit.

Unless you want absolute ultimate performance, which will only represent a proportionately small improvement on this set, I think 95% of households will be delighted with it. In summary, we think the Samsung UE40ES6710 is a very well balanced purchase - it is reasonably priced, offers excellent quality pictures, versatility in connections (including the internet) and looks good without overpowering a modest living room - we love it. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a stunner, 28 May 2012
Ferris "Ferris" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I did a fair bit of research before buying this TV, and in my opinion the Samsung super slim LED TV's are the best looking on the market at the moment. I opted for this model because of the functionality and also because of the white/clear bezel that is very thin and it blends really well with the neutral colours in my room.

Buyer's remorse is a common thing when you get an expensive item home and it doesn't quite live up to your expectations however this TV has exceeded my expectations time and time again. I received it on a next day Amazon Prime delivery and out of the box it was very easy to attach the base, the menus and setup procedure was very intuitive and after it had scanned for channels I was ready to go.

I'll try give you an overview of my experiences so far

Setup and connectivity
Without using the written instructions the basic setup was very simple, I picked up 97 free view channels all excellent quality. It was also very easy to link it to the internet, it picked up my Virgin router with ease and I just had to enter the internet key code.

Picture quality
Simply stunning and that's on Free view, I can't wait to watch a BluRay movie.

Internet functions
Getting access to the internet / Smart functionality is very easy from the remote. Accessing the apps was very easy to do:
Facebook - A bit basic looking on screen and quite clunky, very nice to use as a side bar when watching TV and checking the facebook news feed at the same time.
Netflix - The choice of films looks a little limited (lots of classics) being able to watch a film seamlessly from the internet without any buffering was amazing. The first time I used Netflix I did it wirelessly connecting to my virgin box (30mbs connection) I've since hard wired a network connection into the TV's LAN port.
Web browsing - This was painfully hard work using the cursor on the remote, I may invest in Samsungs wireless keyboard to make things a little easier. If you have a laptop or an IPad you may never use the web browser but if this was your only means of accessing the internet I'm sure it would be a very welcome addition to most households all wrapped up in this TV.

There are many other apps still to try, my kids are very keen to try out all the games. I haven't yet experienced downloading more apps and I can't figure out how to delete apps that I don't want, the instructions provided don't show you how to delete them either.

3D
After trying 3D TV's in retail outlets I really wanted to go with passive technology but I really wanted this TV so I've got active. The glasses were easily paired with the TV and I streamed some of the 3D content that I found in one of the menus. It was late at night and I was really tired and I have to say I wasn't really that impressed with the results, there did seem to be lots of layers of depth but things didn't look to be coming out of the screen (as I say I was really tired and I will try it again with a full movie)

Wall mounting
I went for one of the new style wall mounts that takes the screen very close to the wall, using two of the VESA mount holes the TV is basically hung on a piece of wire like a picture. The result was amazing, all the wires were neatly concealed and the TV looks very classy. (I didn't pay the premium for the Samsung wall mount, 15 on Amazon bought me one that seems to have done the job perfectly).

In summary this is one of the best purchases I have made in some time, I genuinely believe it warrants the 5 star review I have given it and the few slight niggles I have with it are far outweighed by all the positives.

Update

After some frustration I have now learned how to delete apps that aren't wanted (not all can be deleted though some are fixed and permanent).

When downloading new apps I have also found the selection available very limited and not very UK specific. I'm nearly at the end of my Netflix 30 day free trial and I was very keen to give LoveFilm a try, however after trying many search terms I've found its not yet available, neither is BBC iPlayer, 4OD........and many other apps you may expect to see.

After doing lots of online research this is the only info I could find, which will hopefully offer the solution I want and a better app package, I'll just have to wait a while -

"Several apps are currently undergoing development ahead of a firmware update and are currently unavailable on 2012 Samsung TVs. The BBC iPlayer and Blinkbox apps are in testing and will be available in early June, with the LOVEFiLM app to follow by 30th June."

4.0 out of 5 stars Not prefect but still brilliant, 8 May 2012
A. Askew "AA" (uk) - See all my reviews
We bought one of these to replace on old faithful 720p Sony LCD. Didn't get it from Amazon though - it was in a package with 2 pairs of 3d Glasses from a Well Known Retailer.

Good points:
- Slim, lightweight and looks smart. The old TV weighed a ton but this is much lighter. That said, the back chassis is still metal (not all plastic like my cheap HP computer monitor).
- Easy to put the stand on - 8 screws.
- Pretty straightforward to connect stuff up - Sky HD box and PS3 via HDMI in our case. We also hooked up the Wii using a supplied SCART to Component converter, which TBH was a bit of a pig to plug in to the TV.
- Switch on and step through the set up - dead easy. Pleased to note it supports wireless N networks. WIFI is built in, no separate dongle required.
- And the picture out of the box is great! Really vibrant, clear and appealing with HD content. Its even good enough to show up quality differences in different HD programs or (when watching snooker for example) different camera feeds.
- The picture is endlessly tweakable. I read a bunch of stuff about switching off motion plus and smoothing etc but overall (call me a luddite) but I slightly prefer the picture with Motion Plus on. You can set this to a custom level and just enable a hint of smoothing.
- Blu Ray movies...wow! Really excellent picture. I set the PS3 to automatically switch to 24FPS for movies and the dreaded movie judder was finally gone! Hooray!
- SD content is upscaled well enough, and *good* SD content looks very very good.
- Sky HD only goes up to 720p. We tried comparing 720p to 1080i. 1080i was slightly preferred.
- Built in speakers are pretty good considering the TV is so thin.
- The Hub (internet) apps are OK I guess, not really what I'd use a TV for. Dabbled with similar stuff on a PS3 but we prefer the full experience on a computer.

3D:
- First off, I don't rate 3D at all, and it doesn't agree with my eyes much. Just saying.
- Put on the specs, switched them on and they pair to the TV by Bluetooth. After that we set the TV to "2D>3D" conversion mode.
- 3D was not bad on some programs, even though the colours get a bit muted. Bit of a gimmick IMO.

Bad points:
- There is a little backlight bleed on very dark content. Not enough to spoil our viewing experience but if that sort of thing bothers you, be aware.
- The online manual is not a lot of use, unless you already understand colour spaces, gamma and so on. I just fiddled a bit till it looked right to me.
- Remote control is not exactly a paragon of good design. There is a Samsung Remote iPhone app but that's pretty basic.

Untested:
- Native 3D content.
- Playing games.
- Hooking up a HDD and playing movies directly.
- Freeview tuning/viewing.
- External sound system connectivity.

All in all its a solid performing, highly functional and lovely-to-watch TV.

Update after some use:
- Negative: The stand simply screws to the TV, it isn't adjustable in any way. Unfortunately the TV does not look quite level, which isn't great! Its been easy to sort it out by slipping something small under one foot but shouldn't have to.
- Positive: The TV detects connected HDMI devices and the remote has a HDMI button that jumps you right to each HDMI input. So there is no need to hunt through the list of inputs if flipping between a couple of HDMI devices.
- Positive: The manual waffles on about Samsung's Allshare media software for streaming, but you don't need it. As long as you are running a DLNA server on your network (such as Windows Media Sharing or in my case TVMMobili on a Mac), the Samsung Allshare thing will pick it up and stream it. Because the TV supports Wireless N you can hopefully stream HD wirelessly to the TV. There is also an Ethernet port on the TV.
- Positive: I hooked up and external USB Drive (TV supports FAT/NTFS but not MacOS filesystems). The Drive holds about 100 movies in MPG, MP4, AVI and MKV formats. The TV plays every one, no problem at all. Again this is in the Allshare app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 46inch led, 30 July 2012
Superb tv. Easy to set up, Freeview picture hd and Freeview 3d all excellent. Sky hd & 3d also looks excellent on this tv. Olympics opening ceremony in 3d was breathtaking. Worth spending the money. Tv sound is vastly improved from my old 32 inch Samsung lcd, you could easily survive without connecting to speaker system.
However I am having trouble connecting my 4 yr old HT 5.1 dd system as even with hdmi connection I am not getting sound from the tv. Samsung have promised to come back with me with a solution (possibly due to HT using older hdmi version?) - this is not an issue with the tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV for both 3D and 2D, 5 Jun 2012
I bought this TV after doing a lot of research and am very pleased with it. One of the best looking sets out there for the price.
In the interest of time, I'll keep it brief and to the point.

+ives
-Stunning 2D in HD. I have used for sky HD channels and the results have been mind blowing. Watching Formula 1 was a pleasure on this Tv as you really see the 400hz at work.
-Standard definition is very good and better than other TVs I have seen.
-The TV looks stunning and is so sexy in white
-Smooth Gaming when using Xbox 360
-3D while using Sky 3D channel was amazing. Loved every bit of it. No ghosting issues at all. Very smooth and pain free experience.
-2d to 3d conversion is not mind blowing but still amazing quality
-very comfortable and easy to use 3d glasses

-ives
-Slight led bleed in very dark scenes. Noticed this on Harry Potter (deathly hallows)
-2d to 3d conversion could be better. It is still great but not mind blowing

-smart tv function can be very slow to respond at times

Overall
700 well spent. This tv is worth every penny. I am so glad to have it.
Every one I have showed this tv to is so impressed with the picture quality.
100% recommended.

UPDATE*****************************************************************************************************************************************

This TV has won my heart. It wirelessly connects to my IPAD , IPhone , and Laptop. Amazing connectivity.
The picture quality is amazing amazing amazing! Both 3D and 2D
I have got so many compliments for the TV in the past week.
Having said above, the smart features are terrible! Extremely slow to respond and the apps available are so rediculous.

Verdict. Get HD channels and Get this TV!

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty TV, 24 May 2013
I purchased this product in August 2012, it then started turn its self off after 20 seconds 4 weeks ago, i was offered no warranty by amazon, i then had to pay for the repair myself with no help from Amazon and they are refusing to reimburce even though i have produced the invoice for the repair, Samsung also stated they offer zero warranty on products bought from Amazon as they sell them cheaper than other retailers.

my recommendation would be do not buy any TV from amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D TV, 18 Dec 2012
Fantastic TV although you need to spend some time getting the colour, contrast etc right for personal taste - the out of the box default settings are unlikely to suit most people. The 3D experience is one of the best I've seen and the glasses are light and unobtrusive. Good around technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldnt ask for more, 11 Jun 2012
well the tv is just amazing. good looking good quality of built. brilliant picture. really fast respond to changing channel menu open. and even you have freesat HD with it. i cannot believe a tv has both freeview hd and freesat hd on it. and even better it has the ability too record tv just needs a hdd and there you have saving like 200 quid buying freesat recorder HD.

if you want to buy one go with the 40 inch one. its cheaper and you get 2 smart 3d glasses and i have to say the glasses are designed very good. i use prescription glasses and usually i find it uncomfortable to wear two glasses on top of each other, but these glasses are really well designed.

and i have yo say amazon price on this tv is really good. i have checked other sellers even samsung they all sell it for a higher price...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Jun 2012
Ms. T. Copley - See all my reviews
Bought the 46 inch version to replace an older Samsung model i had. What can i say except this TV is fantastic, so simple to set up and the picture quality is amazing!! And it looks great with the super slim edge. All i will say is buy this TV you won't regret it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Picture Quality on HD/3D, 26 July 2013
Superb picture quality, the 3D and Internet access have been excellent. Sound also good for speaker size, fine for a bedroom, perhaps in a larger room you would require a sound bar.

Very thin TV makes it great to hang on a wall.