4.0 out of 5 stars quite smart actually!
After much research, store crawling, review reading and agonising, I took delivery of this TV from Amazon 2 weeks ago.

The bottom line is - it's a great TV. It does what I want very well, it looks great (I was aiming for a minimalistic set up/hidden cables/low-profile etc, the picture quality is good in sd, and spectacular in HD/blu-ray.

Set up was...
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by gary

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio comparability
Published on 17 Nov 2012 by Gasman

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio comparability, 17 Nov 2012
Picture good. However I returned this TV as when I connected it via the optical audio output to my Bose sound unit the audio kept cutting out on Freeview HD channels. This is a known fault with Samsung Tv's as I discovered on the internet but they have not addressed the issue. I returned the TV for a Sony set and this works fine with the external sound system. Amazon did a good job at sorting out the refund for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, 22 April 2013
I spent some time looking for my next TV and I wanted to keep it close to and under £1000. Going on multiple review sites and customer reviews, this TV stood out the most. Some of the more expensive TV had some nicer features, but they came with their fair share of issues too such as terrible gaming lag or very poor sound. This TV has a great picture (check somewhere like AV forums on how to setup just right) and in gaming mode its really difficult to notice any delay until you put it side by side with a PC monitor where you can see a very slight delay in response time. I've used this for 3D movies and 3D games and the active 3D on this is awesome. It seems to handle 2D to 3D conversions pretty well too if you wanted it. Samsung have a wide variety of applications that you can install. I was very pleased to see it could run a plex player as I run a plex server (for streaming movies), it picked up all file types including mkvs which a previous review mentioned was unreadable. Highly rate this TV, best one out there for the £700 price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 2011 offerings, 18 Sep 2012
I thought this would be a bit of a step up from the ue40d6730 that I'd seen at a friend's. When it arrived, the micro-dimming on the screen caused there to be noticeable blotchy clouding on the screen. From reviews, I read that this is not unusual.

The other more annoying fault is that when the TV is connected to an AV receiver, the sound will often cut out for a brief moment when a scene changes. I've read elsewhere that this is a problem with the way that the TV decode signals when they change from 1080p and 1080i.

Whatever the reason for it, it is annoying enough for me to return the TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Internet connection issues, 19 Dec 2012
As a TV player this is top of the range. But I had major issues trying to connect to the internet through the built in LAN. My TV was in the living room and my router is upstairs. I tried everything - inputting the IP manually, downloading software updates via USB and nothing seemed to work. I scratched my head wondering how I could get it to work. So i took the Tv and moved it next to the router and it connected - turns out the range for the built in LAN is only around 4 meters!

Just thought I would let everyone know this - so you don't have the same problems I did. If your router is in the same room or you are willing to relocate it closer to the TV, then I cannot recommend this TV enough, if not then look into a dongle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, how TVs have come along, 12 Oct 2012
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TV market is now quite confusing. It used to be that a TV was a TV - it would show you the 5 terrestrial channels and that was it. HD, 3D Smart, LED, and so the list goes on. As a Samsung fan my new TV was going to be a Samsung but their 2012 range is fairly large. I wanted the high end features without the high price tag. The UE40ES6800 seemed to tick all those boxes.

The Smart functions on this TV I am used to from my E6100 blu ray player. On this TV though, the user experience is much better. On my blu ray player the interface was slow, things frequently didn't load and always needed updating when I opened it. The latter hasn't changed on this TV but the dual core processor featured in this set obviously helps to get rid of the first two problems I've experienced. The interface is slick and reliable and much better than I have experienced in the past. I like the way it leaves a mini window in the top left so you can still watch TV whilst browsing around.

The quality of the picture on this set is astonishing. There are endless picture options though and leaving it on the factory defaults doesn't give you the TV's best. After a lot of fiddling I think I have got the picture just right. Fast action scenes are delivered with a frightening level of realism and smoothness thanks to the 400hz motion plus (this is a setting you need to change - I have it on smooth). SD quality is passable but almost all of our TV viewing is done in HD which looks amazing from our TiVo box.

3D really stands out for me here. Captain America was my first 3D film and it simply blew me away. I have viewed 3D in the past and never seen the attraction but I now wish there were more 3D blu rays available.

I can't comment on the sound from the TV itself as I have a surround sound unit which everything goes through.

Cosmetically, this TV is quite stunning. It is unbelievable how much technology can be squeezed into such a thin unit. I have this TV wall mounted using Samsung's Ultra Slim wall mount kit which sits 17mm off the wall. It looks pretty neat.

I think the 6800 model balances the high end features with cost. They 6300 is a fair bit cheaper but misses out on the dual core processor and has a lower motion plus setting at 200hz. The higher end 7000 and 8000 versions seem very expensive although I'm they are equally as stunning.

I can happily recommend this TV and I have yet to find a negative for it. Be sure to keep your set up to date with the latest firmware to keep up with the latest features Samsung release.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV - but Smart it isn't (i.e. Don't believe the hype)., 26 Sep 2012
Once setup this TV looks very aesthetically pleasing. The initial setup is straightforward enough to have the TV and Wi-Fi connection up and running quickly (that's despite the lack of a proper manual - Yes, there is a basic setup guide but it is of little help). The best thing about this TV is the HD picture quality (of course, in standard definition the picture suffers from the usual compression artefacts seen on larger screens).

One of the let downs for me is the UE40ES6800's barely adequate PVR and EPG functionality. Although the EPG is fast loading, it is rather basic (certainly compared to my crusty old Humax). For example, there's no one-touch scheduling or even a program name search facility. Like all TV's I've seen in this price bracket, the UE40ES6800 only has a single-tuner which means you can only record and watch channels from one multiplex at a time (so, yes, you will still need that separate dual-tuner PVR to watch and record from different TV channel multiplexes simultaneously). Another annoyance it the lack of a 'skip' function on playback (really handy for skipping over adverts on Humax). In addition, from a usability perspective, there are times when it seems that the number of button presses required to do even the most basic of things (like deleting a program) is excessive.

And so on to the so-called Smart features...It's worth bearing in mind that, despite hype to the contrary, there are not yet that many apps available for Samsung Smart TVs and most of them are unremarkable to say the least. Hopefully the quality and number of apps will improve in the near future - But I'm not holding my breath.

Another frustration is how slow it is use the Smart Hub and web browser. Apps seemingly require updating nearly every time they are run which means you need a lot of patience - Performance wise it is nowhere near as slick as on your average smartphone. Obviously, entering long strings of text using the remote will drive you insane. An alternative to buying the £70 keyboard is to use the free Samsung Remote app on your Samsung smartphone to input text - It's OK but not great. As an aside, another phone app which works quite well (at least on a Galaxy S2) is Samsung AllShare which enables media on your phone to be played/displayed on the TV.

In summary, as a HDTV the UE40ES6800 is good but otherwise leaves me feeling somewhat underwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value-excellent product, 30 July 2013
Ca't be positive enough about this television. Looks great with its silver stand. Easy to set-up-connects to your router wirelessly. Usually with every previous television I have bought(LG,Sony,Toshiba) have had to spend ages tweaking the picture to get it how I'd like. With this one the picture was perfect from the moment it was turned on. 3D function is good(although I don't use that much). Can use Smart Hub to access catch-up TV, Lovefilm, Netflix etc (although please note that I have found that you need a broadband speed of above 5mb or so to watch stuff without buffering). You can have Freesat and Freeview and can use a good flashdrive or diskdrive to record programs on it. Have had it now for 8 months and am as pleased with it now as I was when I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant TV, 2 Jun 2013
This TV is brilliant..it can be easily mounted on the wall and is extremely slim. The picture in HD is amazing, the 3D is breath taking to be honest. The sound is also good, no need for any more speakers unless you want surround sound etc. It may seem expensive, but well worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Buy for Smart TV., 24 May 2013
Robert A. L. Mills (Shrewsbury, Shropshire.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this particular model after reading Which Magazine reports. I have not been disappointed with the picture or sound quality and it fulfils all that I required . The price was excellent due to new models being introduced but new models were not much more advanced than this one and were overpriced in comparison. The ordering and delivery were amazing. I ordered set at lunchtime on one day and was amazed to answer my door at 7.30am the NEXT day and delivery completed. Setting up was automatic and no problems. I would recommend Samsung TV ,s Amazon and supplier A.V. to all. The picture quality is so good that I rarely watch in 3d which seems to be a slightly darker picture and not worth bothering with..

5.0 out of 5 stars My best purchase of the year, 10 May 2013
I cannot fault this tv. Easiest setup straight from the box in no time at all. The picture from satellite or digital HD from the aerial is as good as I have seen
Delivery only 4 days from order to delivery to Jersey in perfect shape