4.0 out of 5 stars quite smart actually!
After much research, store crawling, review reading and agonising, I took delivery of this TV from Amazon 2 weeks ago.

The bottom line is - it's a great TV. It does what I want very well, it looks great (I was aiming for a minimalistic set up/hidden cables/low-profile etc, the picture quality is good in sd, and spectacular in HD/blu-ray.

Set up was...
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by gary

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio comparability
Picture good. However I returned this TV as when I connected it via the optical audio output to my Bose sound unit the audio kept cutting out on Freeview HD channels. This is a known fault with Samsung Tv's as I discovered on the internet but they have not addressed the issue. I returned the TV for a Sony set and this works fine with the external sound system. Amazon did...
Published on 17 Nov 2012 by Gasman

4.0 out of 5 stars quite smart actually!, 16 Oct 2012

Set up was easy, sure - there's lots to explore and tweak if you want to (such as sound/picture qualities) but its fine out of the box. My set up has this TV at the heart, supported by a Yamaha YSP 4100 sound bar, a Yamaha YST-FSW050BL sub-woofer, a Panasonic DMP-BBT01EB 3d blu-ray player and a 1st generation Apple TV. I've managed to install them all without a cable now being in sight. The TV hangs on the wall (if you chose) and so makes for a very sleek profile (tip - buy the more expensive wall-hanging kit, the £10 one is now in my bin, I just didn't trust it).

I connected to the web using a wired connection & internet use is easy. It readily recognised all my other kit as mentioned above, via the HDMI connections I made (there are 4 connections I think)

On the downside, I'm not too bothered personally about some of the pre-loaded apps and links found on the home page, but I can ignore them or maybe delete them.

A note on the sound - it's 'common knowledge' that the sound on these super-slim machines isn't good. So I spent more than I did on the TV, buying a good quality sound bar, to find the TV sound is actually quite good! However, I'd say it's only really good enough for 'standard' TV watching, and not for music or serious cinematic effects. My advice would be to try it stand-alone first before you add a sound system, to see if it meets your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung ue55es6800, 27 July 2012
Bought this from another shop as it came with a 5 year guarantee, the picture is brilliant, even on standard definition channels. But who would want to watch sd on such a huge television! Although we have it in a home cinema system, the television speakers are crisper then most.
Blu-rays and hd channels look crisp and clean. Have tried the "explore 3d" feature in the smart hub and it was exhilarating, the depth in the picture was brilliant and giving a realistic 3d effect. the smart hub is, unfortunately, clunky, slow and unreliable. When searching the Internet through the television, the screen froze and was not happy. But all in all it is a very good television.

UPDATE

There has been an update for the Samsung smart hub and it seems to be working a lot more fluently.
Very pleased with the television, had it for three months now, and am still extremely pleased.
The problem with back light clouding still hasn't come to much, and is only obvious in the corners.
Well done Samsung...

UPDATE 2:
6 months on now and there has still been no serious issue with the back light clouding. I watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics in 3D recently and couldn't believe how realistic it looked. I still love the television. It really is a lovely television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv, 6 Jan 2013
S. J. Davies "simondavies_99" (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I looked long and hard for a good all round 40" tv and after reading the reviews on here decided to buy this one.

Firstly the delivery. I ordered at 12.40pm on Thursday and it arrived about 10am the next day, what great service Amazon!!!
As for setting up it was a doddle, it almost sets itself up!
The sound is brilliant, anyone that says its no good must be mad. I was using a 5.1 surround system with my old tv to get that cinema feel, I haven't connected it up yet as the sound through the tv is so good.
One thing I would say is you will need to tweak the picture settings to get what is best for you other than that I am very very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than a TV, 14 Oct 2012
Thomas Douglas "TD" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It takes a lot for technology to impress me - it is the everyday functionality, the genuine usefulness, which impresses me, not the knowledge that the chips are five times faster than yesterday's or that the screen was polished by elves using moondust.

As a result much that is new is disappointing, and I am often a late adopter.

So when I was asked to test drive the Samsung S6800 I was not expecting much - it is, after all, just a TV, and I have owned a TV, in various different forms, for over thirty years.

And yet, crikey!

Probably the easiest five stars I have given this year. Here is why:

- Picture: unbelievably clear; sometimes it is like looking through a window; initially it was a little disconcerting, but after a few weeks I simply refuse to go back to a lower quality image

- Physical design: thinner than you would think possible, and despite having a 40-inch screen it avoids dominating the room

- PVR: the functionality for a PVR is built-in; just buy a USB external hard drive, plug it in and you are good to go, with scheduled record, series record and all that stuff. I bought a 1Tb Western Digital drive and now have many hundreds of hours of capacity

- Apps: there is a growing list of useful apps; I use BBC iplayer, ITV player, Lovefilm and YouTube, but there are plenty more for other interests

- Blu-Ray integration: I bought a cheap Samsung BD player and the TV recognises its sibling and I can use the TV remote to control both

- Bit torrents: this TV can play every video format I have thrown at it; the picture quality when playing low resolution downloads is supernaturally good - I have no idea how they do it

- USB slots: as well as using the USB slots for a PVR hard disk, or bit torrents, you can, for example, plug in an iPhone and the TV will offer you the chance to view the photos on it, plug in an Android and you can see everything, such as videos and podcasts

- 3D: and yes, this is a 3D TV; we don't bother with it much, but have enjoyed a couple of 3D blu-ray movies, and the quality is excellent

- 3D conversion: another freaky feature is the conversion of regular 2D broadcasts into 3D; again, no idea how they do it, but it really works

All in all, this is a quite remarkable TV. There is other functionality I have even tested yet, such as directly beaming content from a Samsung smartphone to the TV, or viewing digital photos, or playing MP3's or playing with several different picture modes (the default picture is amazing so I haven't felt the need to experiment.)

With so many features, every household will use it differently. Samsung are clearly trying to make the TV that every home should have and they have come pretty close to it already. Heaven knows what they will come up with next, but this is technology how it should be - a genuine leap forward but easy to use and with something for everyone in the family.

Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing TV., 16 April 2013
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had this (40") set for just over six months and it still impresses me. For me, the most important thing in a tv is the picture quality. It can have all the added extras in the world built in, but if the picture quality is below par, then forget it. The 40ES6800 not only has one of the clearest, sharpest pictures I've seen (and the 3D is stunning), it has an amazing array of extras that come as standard. The built in wifi connectivity, pvr capabilty being the ones I most commonly use - and they're fully updatable too.

I can't claim that the user interface is the easiest to follow, but Samsung have done what they can to make things as easy as possible considering the many functions this tv is able to do. Everything is menu driven and all I can say is practice makes perfect. On initial installation the tv prompts you to update the firmware after connecting to your home wifi (just the same any other peripheral connnects using a password). it took my set just under an hour to update itself, but once done things went fairly smoothly from then on.

My set is connected to an Onkyo amplifier and a Tivo box, along with a Sony BluRay and all compliment each other. The sound from the tv itself is 'ok' for normal viewing but benefits ten fold when connected to an external amplifier for watching dvd's and 3D movies.

So, to conclude. I can't praise this set highly enough. It does everything and more than you'ld expect; it's future proof, picture frame thin and viewing on it is an absolute pleasure. If you're looking for a quality tv to take centre stage in your AV system, but aren't after a super size 50"+ screen, then you've found it in the Samsung 40ES6800.

A delight to own and a delight to use......!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tv, 15 Aug 2012
Edit: June 2013 screen failed ! Bands of lines across screen.
I'm so glad I had a 5 year guarantee, new screen fitted good as new.
I would urge everyone to take out extended warranty on such an expensive item.

I am so pleased with this tv. The picture is amazing, even if i sit right in front of it. I had to adjust picture settings as these are set far too bright, I was told this is so they look good if displayed in store. I turned the backlight down to half way, and I have contrast on 60 and brightness on 50. This is what looked best in my opinion, and in my living room, much more natural and easier on the eyes.
I have found a wired connection to be a lot better then wireless, i dont know if this is down to the wireless adaptor in the telly or the wireless network in my house. I have a 4mb broadband connection, and i was able to stream hd movies direct from lovefilm.com. I updated the firmware recently and the Smart hub seems easier to use now. I did look at the more expensive models the es7 and 8000, I didn't think that voice and motion control would be of much use to me, the salesman in store couldn't get it to work properly anyway.
I wasn't that bothered about 3d but after watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics I was blown away, it looked like confetti was falling in my living room.This is by far the most realistic 3d images i have seen.

In conclusion a great tv if you can fit the 55 inch in your lounge you will be blown away
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 3 Aug 2012
It is a very good smart TV. You need to update the firmware once you unbox the TV. It can update via wi-fi, but it didn't work for me, instead I've updated it via USB. (Downloaded the new firmware from samsung.com, extracted it, copied to a usb drive, and plugged it to the TV.)
After updating the firmware, the experience with the smart hub was much better.

As a TV, it is already perfect, in this size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive picture, 14 Sep 2012
After battling with a UE40ES6710 non-UK version and forking out for a UE40ES6800, I was happy it worked off the bat and found loads of Freesat and Freeview channels.

Setup took some time over several days - I only just worked out how to manage favourite channels at 3am this morning!

With all heavily featured devices nowadays, it's the configuration and juggling which features you'll really be using that takes the time. The online help is ok, a bit clunky but I'll get used to it.

Overall, we're very happy with the picture quality and clarity though the colour can seem a bit too strong. More fine tuning needed...

The 2D-3D conversion works well - and I keep wondering "how do they do that, then?"

My new HDMI cable that was v1.4 didn't support Anynet+ (connected a BD-6100 player) but my 4 year old cable does. Anynet+ is a bit silly though as the whole point of it is to control both devices using one remote control... but you need the BD-6100 controller to switch it on first (but not to switch it off). Crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV!, 27 Sep 2012
Outstanding picture quality both in HD and SD. Smart features are amazing. 3D and 2D to 3D are great. Brilliant for gaming. All the ports you could ever need. Stylish swivel stand included and also looks great wall mounted. Includes 3D glasses so no extras needed when purchased. However having bought the Samsung wireless keyboard i would highly recommend it as it makes browsing the web and using apps faster and more enjoyable. Built in WiFi and Bluetooth which means connecting to the internet or a bluetooth keyboard or mouse takes seconds and the dual core processor means everything runs smoothly. Overall this TV is amazing. If you are in the market for an LED TV this one should be seriosuly considered.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Wow, 4 Oct 2012
I did not believe this TV would be this good.Best price elsewhere over £100 more.Set up really simple. Found wi-fi connection and downloaded firmware OK. Picture quality is fantastic on HD and the 3D experience much better than anticipated even on non 3D programmes. (Shan't be paying more to Sky for it!)Only downside so far is that supplied hand set is useless for web surfing but hope to be able to connect usb keyboard once wife has finished using it with PC.
If you are thinking of buying it just do it.