5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV...eventually
Published 22 months ago by JB

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by poor SMART TV
PROS

1) Very sharp, even standard definition is great
2) 3d is good - the 2d-3d conversion is great - I really didn't expect this to work!
3) remote is easy to use
4) HD Freview tuner is good.

CONS

Published 21 months ago by S. Dawes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV...eventually, 16 Jun 2012
JB (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung 32-inch Smart 3D LED TV UE32ES6300 Full HD 1080p with Wi-Fi built-in and Freeview HD (Old model) (Electronics)
I bought this TV from Amazon partly because of the reviews and partly after having viewed Samsung TVs in John Lewis. Picture quality is likely to be a matter of personal taste, but it seemed to me that the Samsung models had a clarity which was missing from the rivals like Panasonic and Sony. I didn't particularly want 3D, but was told that that level of detail was only achievable with a 3D TV, and of course you didn't have to watch in 3D if you didn't want to!

Amazon wasn't the cheapest at the time of ordering, but the sheer brilliance of the service combined with the no-fuss returns policy made it an easy choice. Since the time I bought mine I notice the price has fallen markedly, though it does seem to yo-yo a bit.

Time to mount it on the wall...it has to sit in the corner and the only way it can do this is with a cantilever arm bracket, and so I purchased one at the same time as the TV. Easy I thought, it's advertised as fitting *all* 32" TVs, including of course, Samsung. However, the ES6300 has a cunningly moulded back which ensures that no bracket (apart from Samsung's own) will actually fit: the screws are all either too long or too short, or the supports simply cannot be accommodated. After four tries I found one, but only after a visit to the local hardware shop for new screws/spacers etc. Sorted.

Next the set up of the TV, and this is where Amazon really came in handy. I found one of the most useful reviews on this site to be from Product Reviewer, who as well as providing lots of info in the review, was also extremely helpful in answering questions (cheers PR!) There are so many variables to choose from with the picture that you have to do a lot of experimenting. My first issue was with motion blur, most apparent in 3D where there was high contrast. I eventually found out how to set up the picture to counter this, but it took time. I then noticed that the picture appeared to be dropping a frame every few seconds or so. This was highly irritating and I couldn't find out the answer to this for while. The solution came with replacing the HDMI cable and making sure it was actually connected to the correct socket in the back of the TV. So, that problem is now sorted too.

So, after three weeks or so, we now have a TV with a quite stunning picture. Watching Game of Thrones - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free] on the blu-ray player (Samsung BD-E6100 3D Smart Blu-ray Player with Built-in Wi-Fi (New for 2012)) is an amazing experience, and at times it feels almost as though there's only a clear pane of glass between you and the action. Films with lesser production values than Game of Thrones can however reveal distractions such as poor artificial lighting - you can almost sense the lighting and camera crew surrounding the actors - so prepare for the unexpected! The age of the film doesn't always seem to be a factor; for instance, the newly released Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [4 Disc Set] box set is quite incredible and looks like it was made yesterday.

A possibly unexpected feature of the Samsung is the quality of the sound. I was all prepared to hook the TV up to the existing sound system we have, but actually, in our case at least, doing that would have been to downgrade the listening experience. This TV has a crisp and detailed yet full sound quality, but it's possible to refine it further using the menu, for instance in highlighting speech or music. If you've ever struggled in the past to hear the dialogue in a film, then this TV will definitely be the one for you.

Having said earlier that I wasn't really interested in 3D, i soon changed my mind once I'd seen a few movies. In a word, it's sensational. Just try Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Blu-ray 3D + 2D Blu-ray)[Region Free]: watching this in a darkened room is a marvel, and the water sequences in particular are spectacular. Once again, the correct settings are important in order to enjoy the film at its best (these are laid out in full by other reviewers on this forum).

The fact that you can use a web browser though the Smart TV is probably only going to be of any use if you also download the Samsung Remote iPhone app; you can then use the phone (or in theory iPad, though at the time of writing this doesn't seem to be working) as a keypad. Trying to use the browser with the supplied remote control is frustratingly slow.

Of the apps, the ones we've ended up using most are iPlayer, LoveFilm and YouTube. They look fantastic and work beautifully - once you've installed the firmware - I had a few problems here, and have to say a big thank you to Product Reviewer for finding the answer as to how to download the firmware online (please see PR's Comment section).

I've been amazed by the quality of the picture on iPlayer and LoveFilm in particular; even though our broadband speed is nothing to write home about we don't seem to encounter any buffering issues on the TV. Other reviewers have raised the point about the proximity of your home hub to the television and how this can affect the streaming quality (in particular please see honeythief's excellent piece on this), so if your hub is more than five metres away then it seems like you might hit problems.

As seems normal with these apps, access is more limited than on a computer; so for instance on LoveFilm you don't have the degree of Watch Now choice as you would have on your PC or Mac. On IPlayer it's the same, it's more restricted.

Anyway, if you set this TV up correctly then you're in for a treat. I'm not technically-minded and it's been a challenge, but as I say, I've found this forum to be very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Experiment to discover the SAMSUNG SMART TV's Full Potential, 19 Oct 2012
I am not going to mention the picture or sound quality. I'm not going to talk about the apps. All these have been fully covered by other reviewers and I fully endorse how great these qualities are. I wish to talk about 'add ons' to the Samsung Smart TV which, unlike me, may negate you buying unnecessary equipment as this TV does it all.

The Samsung SMART TV opens up so much access to entertainment that I decided to discontinue my Sky TV subscription. I appreciate this is purely subjective but I don't miss it one bit. The other good thing (for me) is that as a result of the Sky package I had, the TV virtually pays for itself in about one year as a result of the savings I have made from cancelling my Sky subscription.

I decided I wanted to use Freesat with the TV in lieu of Sky(I of course had the dish fitted by SKY). I therefore bought a Freesat module. This was a mistake because all I had to do with this TV is connect the Sky dish lead directly into the TV and tune the TV to FREESAT. This is quite easily done from the menu. Just select FREESAT from the column marked 'digital' I advise you to be careful here because other satellite options (Astra & Eurosat) are offered up on the menu. Although you are able to tune to both these satellites, the TV guide is a bit of a mess. For example, you get four or five Channels tuned into Channel 4 TV. Also, there is no BBC1 HD or BBC HD channel on the Astra satellite (at least I couldn't find it). Once I tuned into FREESAT, everything was as it should be and the TV menu guide is exactly the same as the TV guide produced by the Freesat module.

Having disconnected the Sky box, I had no means of recording television programmes. Fortunately, The Samsung Smart TV allows you to connect an external HDD drive and use that to record programmes. I just happened to have an old 500Gb external hard drive (Mains powered) handy and therefore fitted that to the TV. It works like a charm. (you can also connect an external HDD drive that is not mains powered i.e. simply connecting via the HDD's USB connector).

To record a programme, you do exactly as you would do with the Sky box; go to the TV menu and click on the programme you want to record. You will then get the option either to record the programme or schedule it for viewing. If you select record and the programme is one of a series, you will then be given the option to record the whole series or just the one episode. The TV will carry out the recording whilst in Standby mode. An one hour long HD programme uses about 38Gb of memory on the hard drive. Playback quality is superb.

The only disadvantage with the external hard drive compered to the Sky box is that you can only record one programme at a time and the TV will switch to the programme that is being recorded; in other words, you can't watch one programme and record another at the same time. However, most TV channels will re-broadcast the same episode later in the week and late at night. That is when I make recordings; while I'm tucked up in bed asleep.

There is of course various iplayers you can connect to through the apps on the TV. I don't make recordings from channels that have this facility. Frustratingly, the one that is not available to Samsung is 4oD and therefore Channel 4 is where I make most of my recordings (OK I'm a Homeland Fan).

As for movies, I subscribe to LoveFilm and for 4.99 a month (at time of writing) I have access to 'Watch now' movies, a lot of which are in HD. Also, Lovefilm has a lot of old TV series for instant viewing; 24, Lost, Greys Anantomy and the like. All the apps are connected via WiFi to the internet. It is advisable therefore to have a contract with your broadband provider that gives you unlimited broadband access.

Why did I say experiment? Well, the hard copy instructions that is supplied with the TV is very basic. You therefore have to rely on the 'electronic' guide found in the menu of the TV. This can be a bit cumbersome trying to find a solution to what you want to do with the TV.

Other devices (that I haven't tried yet)that can be connected to the TV include a computer keyboard and mouse. This connection is made via Bluetooth. I intend to purchase these in the near future to make it easier to connect with and use the World Wide Web through the TV.

The only advice I can give is before you buy a peripheral (if that is the right word) for this TV, have a look on the back to see if there is a socket that will fit something you already have (satellite connection). Enjoy the TV, I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV with amazing sound, 21 May 2012
Once setting up the TV and switching it on for the first time I was amazed by the sound that was being produced. The TV doesnt need any additional speakers as the speakers within the TV do the job. The TV itself is nice and slim with a new slim design. I have used this TV for gaming and for 3D and both are very good and effective in the way that the TV produces the image and the sound, the quality of the freeview is sharp and clear with the additional HD channels added as a feature, gaming is absolutely amazing once you have adjusted the settings. The TV comes with a range of different features such as the Smart TV feature allowing you to access the internet via the built in WiFi. The TV also comes with a 2D to 3D conversion which is handy if you want to watch Eastenders in 3D or play your games in 3D without any other necessary equipment. The TV doesn't come with any 3D glasses but you can purchase these for 17 pound or two pairs for 29 pounds which is minimal. The TV contains a gaming mode which is very handy if you are wanting to get the best graphics out of your TV. I haven't experienced any problems with this TV as stated by the other review which I believe is unjust, they were experiencing problems due to the manufacturing or delivering of the TV. This is something I have not experienced with my TV.

The TV contains an Arial and a satellite slot which will enable you to watch either freeview or Freesat, the TV gives you the options of, Arial, Cable, Satellite or Freesat. This is something I think is fantastic for the price of this TV. The TV is easy to set up with on screen instructions which allows you to quickly and efficiently set up the TV to your needs. If you are wanting to set up a surround system this TV comes with a digital optical cable slot to allow you to do so (although personally its not really needed). The TV also has component slots and 4 USB slots, as well as 3 HDMI slots and one HDMI slot which is used for 3D purposes. If you want to connect your router to the TV there is a Ethernet port for you to be able to do this.

The TV comes with 'Smart TV' which enables you to be able to access various different apps from the Samsung marketplace, with hundreds of free apps to add to your experience, these include, Facebook, Twitter, BBC News, BBC iplayer, games, sports, education and many more. (Please Ask me if you are wanting more information regarding this) You do not need to register any email address to access this. The Smart TV feature also has a fitness feature with lots of free videos for various different exercises and Yoga, it also has a calorie calculator and progression software to track your progress. Another bonus it the 'Explore 3D' app which allows you to watch various documentaries and trailers in 3D, these are free and really do give you an example of what the 3D is like. You can also watch Youtube via this TV so you could search for more 3D videos if you wanted to so you get an idea as to what the TV can offer.

As far as the specs are concerned the TV does come with 200HZ which is great when watching fast moving objects on screen and gaming, this is easy to turn on by simply accessing the options menu and turning on the Motion LED feature this will remove blurring and judder. The TV is light and comes with a unique stand which is different from the usual TV's which have the square/rectangle stands.

The TV is fantastic for gaming, Ive been playing Max payne 3 on this and I can tell you that the colours and image are amazing, Colours are displayed correctly with different variations of colours which help bring the game to life there is no motion blur or lagging with this TV and response times are excellent.

I would recommend this TV to everyone because it contains all the newest features at a reasonable price, It produces an outstanding image and a loud sound which is powerful for an LED TV which usually has muffled sound due to its size. Its slim and makes a room.

If you have any questions regarding this TV, please comment below and I will be happy to answer them with a quick response.

*Edit* With regards to the apps such as BBC iPlayer and ITV player etc. I have been told by Samsung that these apps should appear in the near future, this TV is brand new to 2012 with it being released in March 2012 so it is still early days.

Before submitting your questions please be sure to check previous comments just in case someone else has had the same query as you. I will reply to questions between 1 to 2 days of posting your question so please check back for a response between these times, If I am unable to answer questions I will place a comment letting you know.

EDIT BBC iPLAYER IS NOW AVAILABLE ON THE SMART APP FUNCTION PLEASE UPDATE YOUR TV'S

Edit Lovefilm and BBC Sport are now available on the SmartTV feature, please update your TV,

If you are wanting to connect your PC, Phone or another device via the Allshare feature within the TV please visit the Samsung Website and type "Allshare" into the search box in order to be able to find the necessary software to do so. If you are wanting to share content from your phone onto your TV, be sure to download the phone app available on both Iphone and Android phones, there is also a cool app that allows you to use your phone as a TV remote and this app can also be found on both phones.

EDIT** ITV Player is now available to be installed so make sure you update the TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 29 July 2012
I wanted a new TV for almost a year and suffice to say, like all of us, I did my research. So much so that I gave the assistants in Curry's a run for their money.

The research is over-whelming and it's not until you take a step back that you realise you actually don't need half the stuff these super dooper TV's can do. But there are a few things that were important to me. These were:

- How the TV looks when switched off
- How it handles action (I watch a lot of action movies and football)
- Quality of picture in SD as well as HD (Standard Def / High Def)
- Connection points

Now, with this TV it obviously comes with 3D and Smart TV, which I could give or take. But what I discovered was, if you want a great non-3D picture then the 3D TVs are the best quality.

I have not used the 3D, when I do I'll update the review.

SMART TV - Coming from a 7 year old TV, I was initially impressed. It was a novelty. However how much I'll use it I don't know. Set up was instant. The built in Wifi instantly found my server and connected. It has Netflix, Love Film and BBC i-player already loaded. There are two things that let the Smart TV down. The FACEBOOK app does not seem to allow me to connect. I get an information screen to say I need to log in through my settings but I'm unable to locate where to do it. If anyone knows the answer to this, I'd be most grateful. The other thing that lets this down is the navigation on the internet. Just don't bother! Even if you download the i-phone app that allows you to control your TV through your phone and use a qwarty board, you still have to arrow a curser around the screen. So if a Smart TV is what you're really going for, look for a different brand as I imagine this layout with the curser will be the same on all Samsungs.

HOW THE TV LOOKS - Really consider the size you need! I brought a 40 inch and I have a fairly large living room, however it just seems too big. I wish I had now gone for the 37 inches as it tends to dominate the room. Also I really am not a fan of the stand. I knew what stand it came with but it wasn't until it was in my house that I realised I didn't like it, but these are merely personal preferences. What I do like about the stand it that it allows the TV to swivel, so when I'm in my open planned kitchen / living room, I can turn the TV to I can still see it. The TV is very thin for it's price bracket, so wall mounting should be fine. I have not mounted the TV though. The only problem I think you may have is where the HDMI and power cables are in the back of the TV, they will jut out about an inch before bending downwards. Something worth looking at in the store when you consider wall mounting. The TV has a thing bezel edge. Without measuring, i'd say half an inch. There are TV's with much thinner edging but again, for the price, its a great looking TV. One last thing to note on this point is there are no control buttons on the TV so if you lose the remote you're screwed. Good job I have downloaded the control app on the phone. Also it doesn't have an off switch, only standby. But as LED uses such little electricity I am not too worried. 4 Star.

REMOTE CONTROL APP ON I-PHONE - This works great and is easy to use. There are two main purposes for downloading this free app onto your phone. 1) if you mis-place your control or its on the other sofa then you can just use your phone instead of getting up (great for those hang over Sundays if you can't be bothered to shift from the coach.) Also, if you need to enter any text through the SmartTV, then using a curser around the on screen keypad is just a time consuming nightmare, so you will want to use the qwarty board on the phone.

SOUND - I had pretty much convinced myself I would need a sound bar. Hearing reviews on most thin TV's, the sound quality is very poor and tinny. Not with this one and this is where it really comes in to save you money. You DO NOT need a sound bar with this TV. I can not get over how good the sound is, not tinny at all and very loud. I am a bit of cinema buff and may still invest in surround sound at a later point but it is not essential. 5 star for a thin TV.

PICTURE QUALITY - HD wow, just wow. There are four main picture options - Dynamic (brightest), Standard, Natural and Movie. You can also adjust every element of the picture from backlighting to colours etc. Standard def is good too, obviously it doesn't rival HD but it is great. What I would say is you need to adjust the picture depending what you're watching. So for example, Finding Nemo in HD - just switch it to Dynamic. If you're watching an old SD movie from the 80's you will want the movie option and a bit of tweaking. If you're prepared to change the picture each time then it's great. 4 stars for this (would have 5 if it automatically adjusted to a perfect setting for each programme.)

ACTION - What made me go for this TV was the 200hz motion rate. Something worth noting here... most films are filmed on a standard 50hz motion rate. The extra hz on these LED tv's comes from them inserting extra frames to keep up with the actions to make it seamless. This really is down to preference. On a HD cartoon movie for example the motion rate switched on is great, but for a standard def movie I found it rater annoying, it just didn't seem real, so when I turned it off it actually looked more like the action sequences you see on a plasma. It's great to have the option. How the TV handled action was very important to me, and I am really pleased with it. Nothing will rival a plasma where action is concerned, however you will find that most plasmas in the 600 or less bracket are not full HD, only HD ready. They also start at a size of 42 inches, which was just too big for me. 4 stars for action.

CONNECTIONS - You can see from the item description the number of connection points. 3 HDMI cable are generous and what is great is it has a scart socket. A lot of Samsungs don't and you need an adaptor that many of my friends have had difficulty fitting into the back of their TV. So with a scart socket included I'd give this 4 stars. (What would have made it 5 was two starts and 4 HDMI cables.)

PROBLEMS - I have experienced problems with clouding. It comes and goes. I am in touch with the company I purchased this off to get them to come out and look at it. After a bit more internet searching I have found that this tends to be a problem with a lot of LED screens and it is pot luck if your screen does it or not. I have also read reviews where Samsung have admitted there were some TV's that were a manufacturing fault. Now when the clouding starts it is bad but if you turn the backlighting off the TV it helps to reduce it. It usually starts the longer the TV has been on, and you notice it on black / dark scenes. I just don't know if its worth the hassle to return the TV or not. I got an amazing deal on it because I ordered it from a company that doesn't deliver so its a real faff to return. If I just thought it was a fault with this set I would but it seems to be a frequent problem that I am seeing in a lot of peoples reviews. If this concerns you then just avoid an LED.

It's early days with this set. So as I discover new things I'll update.

Over-all FANTATSTIC value for money. Looks great, sounds great. Let downs - clouding and internet on the Smart TV.
If you're concerned about clouding, order off Amazon as they have a fantastic returns policy. I wish I'd paid a little bit more and got it from them now.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wandering days are over - true love has been found, 24 Sep 2012
I hope I never have children, as I could never love them like I love my Samsung TV.

I am a very technical person. I love my computer, I love my technology. I had a 10 year old CRT TV that needed replacing. I wanted to buy a TV that I could keep for a very long time. That could become part of my family. I found true love and more in the Samsung UE46ES6300.

My criteria for a TV were that it needed to be high quality, at least 42 inch, capable of playing movies of various formats across my network, customisable, have a good range of apps, and be beautiful. And be less than 1000. I watch TV quite regularly but audio/visual is not a real passion of mine - you won't find me plugging in giant speakers or measuring the tiniest variations in picture quality. I wanted something that walked the fine line between being brilliant out of the box but also flexible to my requirements.

Let's talk details.

-Look
It's beautiful. Sleek, black, and understated. For a TV of its size (46inch), it doesn't feel too big in the room. In fact, my partner and I spent some time just looking at the TV before actually plugging it in. The screen is slightly reflective but not too bad. It looks like a piece of art. That's right - this TV is so beautiful you can watch it when it's turned off.

-Set-up and Networking
Screwing on the stand was very easy - there is little physical set-up required. This TV has wireless built in. It does, it does. And it works so very, very well. Set up was done within minutes. Freeview HD tuned. Network logged in. Firmware updated. Apps loaded. Streaming through iPlayer across my wireless network is a charm. I have even used the web browser to watch videos and use sites, and it's surprisingly useful - though you'll want to use your phone to help type. It's not something I would use for day-to-day browsing but it's great if you just have to have a giant version of your favourite website in front of you.

-Picture
The picture is phenomenal. Amazing. Wonderful. There are not enough superlatives to describe it. There are a great deal of settings to play with, as others have said before, and you WILL need to spend an hour or two setting them up just the way you like. The MotionPlus feature which smooths movement and gives an effective refresh rate of 200hz (I know, my mind was also blown) is so effective at making things look realistic that on standard settings it makes regular movies look like crappy daytime soaps. The movement is so smooth, the lighting so well managed, that it doesn't look like a film any more, it looks like a documentary. The 'Movie' preset is a must - it artificially washes out colours, slows the refresh and generally makes the movie look more like a movie. I do however thoroughly recommend that you enjoy this TV at its best by leaving the regular presets in place and watching Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage. (It must be a terrible film.) The TV picks out all the terrible bits of set, all the awful nuances of the actor's face, and generally makes the film look like it was made of a budget of 40. Honestly, try it. It's brilliant. Then use the Movie preset to actually enjoy a proper film.

I connected this with a Sony blu-ray player. We only have one Blu-ray disc right now (Up by Pixar) so stuck that on. Within 7 seconds of starting the film, I understand what it must be like to be on some incredible, spiritual journey. The colours were so rich, the characters so detailed, it really felt like it was just a window into a beautiful world of talking dogs and balloons. Documentaries are similarly amazing.

-Sound
I care not for floor-trembling bass or angel-like treble. As long as it's clear that's fine for me. The inbuilt speakers are perfect for my needs and will probably be for most people too. The fact that I don't actually know where in the TV the speakers are only adds to the aura of magic.

-3D
I did not want 3D in my TV - I couldn't care less about it. But this was the best TV for my other criteria so I got it anyway. And since I had it, hey, why not try it out. The 3D glasses included are fine to wear, even over my own regular glasses. I do not have any 3D films so can't properly comment, but once the glasses are turned on and connected to the TV (active shutter sorcery), you can turn on false 3D on any channel or DVD. I tried on the opening scene of my 2d, standard DVD of Gladiator. And I was really impressed. The effect worked surprisingly well and didn't give me any headache like passive glasses usually do. I can only be glad that it wasn't a true 3D version of the film, as I would have probably been screaming in terror at the horses galloping towards my face. A brilliant toy and for someone like me who doesn't really care about 3D, absolutely worth having. Looking forward to trying it properly with a 3D film.

-Apps
iPlayer, Lovefilm and YouTube are the ones I've tried and they all work excellently. Great quality stream, easy to use, quick. I have not much else to add.

-Remote control
This gets its own category on account of how incredible they are. The TV remote is easy to use and comfortable. When I was testing the TV with a DVD, I realised that I had been using the TV remote to control the DVD player - and it had been working! The DVD player is Sony. I had not set it up to do this in any way, it just had. The only explanation I can think of is witchcraft. Just to make things even more brilliant, I thought I'd try the Samsung Remote app on my Android phone (HTC Desire). I didn't really think it would work, but once connected to the home wireless, it just did. Really well. You get a full remote on your phone, you can use the phone keyboard when typing (e.g. using the browser), it gives you impressively responsive volume control etc - almost as quick as using the proper remote.

-Summary
I have not yet had a chance to check video streaming from my network drive but will edit when I have. Even if it doesn't work at all, this TV will still be one of the very best purchases I have ever made. It has made watching TV and films such a joy and even makes my living room look better. Don't think about it any more, buy this TV.

Samsung TV, welcome to the family. I love you.

5.0 out of 5 stars CALIBRATION ESSENTIAL - See settings here...!!, 27 July 2012
Out of the box and mounted on the wall, I turned on the TV and... what disappointment. The default settings for this TV are quite frankly awful. I watched some of the Open Golf in HD and thanks to the 'MotionPlus' being enabled when golfers swung their clubs it looked like a stroboscope - horrible judder. But all is not lost - this Samsung is actually a terrific TV once the picture is calibrated. Well priced for a slim bezel 55 inch and packing a lot of smart options. I 100% recommend the settings below and I hope they help you enjoy this fantastic TV they way it should be enjoyed!

Picture preset: Movie
G-Gain 20
B-Gain 32

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by poor SMART TV, 9 July 2012
S. Dawes (UK) - See all my reviews
PROS

1) Very sharp, even standard definition is great
3) remote is easy to use
4) HD Freview tuner is good.

CONS

1) SMART TV is slow to load - expect this to take 30s+ from standby (the TV turns on quickly but if you are turning the TV on to use the SMART features, best go make a cup of tea. If you have already been into the SMART interface, returning to it is quick
2) The 3D flickers at the periphery of vision this can be distracting - but you forget after a while that the flickering is there if you get immersed in a film
3) the 3D is 'into the screen' - so don't expect things to be flying out at you
4) The SMART Apps are very poor, most don't recognise the optional QWERTY keyboard (e.g. searching youtube requires that you use the original remote and onscreen keyboard) many of the apps refuse to 'see' the keyboard at all, so you will be reaching for the remote very often.
5) BBC iPlayer (pre installed APP) doesn't work, it will say that the TV needs a firmware upgrade but the TV thinks it is up to date.
6) Support is VERY poor, I emailed Samsung support (about point 5) and they were not helpful, so I called them, the man said that the firmware for the 'on-line' install was out of date and said he would send a link so I could download it manually and update via a USB stick, he was confident this would solve the issue (sounded like it was a common problem) - but I never got the email with the link in! - BBC iPlayer continues not to work.
7) The SMART Aps interface doesn't allow you to change the top 2 rows of icons (the big ones), this is annoying because most of them I will never use (or cant use - see point 5)
8) The web browser did not work out of the box it said it was updating but always failed with an error 'ERROR_EXE_001' this took 3 days of continually re-trying to update until the problem was fixed - which seemed to be server availability at Samsung (Early morning UK time worked for me)
9) so far the TV has turned off unexpectedly once and the tuner reported no signal from my aerial once (a power on/off solved this) so it doesn't look that reliable
10) The Smart TV seems to show you adverts on the interface home page (top right corner) - just something to consider if you are used to the TV being a passive device, the SMART TV is closer to a mobile phone in that it uses your viewing habits to market to you - I guess - expect to agree to many 'privacy policies' (I.E. Agree to allow Samsung and all the App suppliers to know what you are watching and when) if you want to take advantage of the SMART TV.

In summary, picture is brilliant, but if you are buying the TV for the internet access and SMART Apps, don't, you will be very disappointed, get a cheaper TV and a Laptop / tablet instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set for internet based viewing, 17 Aug 2012
I actually upgrade from a Samsung ES6100 32" which I bought only six months ago (gifted to mother-in-law), so I can explain the improvements in this version.

Firstly the smart menu is much faster, and easier to navigate as a result, still not super fast like I imagine the 6800 series would be, but it does me fine and it is my most used feature. I use this a lot to access Netflixs and Lovefilm, also Youtube and iPlayer etc. Here the quality is good, it depends on your internet connection of course, and that may suffer if all your neighbours are downloading, but I find I actually get a much better picture on these streaming sites then I do from normal TV. I also download films, then simply transfer that film onto a usb stick and plug into the TV to watch, it could not be simpler.

If you download Samsung `All-Share' to your computer you can also share folders. The wife loves this as I have shared the picture folders on my PC, so she can sit there viewing photos in glorious high resolution ( I also have a great camera) on the TV, it is so much better than going to boots and paying a ton for a few crappy photo print-outs. You can also use this to watch movies straight from your PC, but my BT router does not like having a non-computer on the network and falls down periodically, needing a reset. Since I have not yet figured out how to fix this yet, it is easier to watch a movie from usb than having to reset the router a couple of times during a film.

A word of warning on the size, I went for a 46". Unless you happen to live in Balmoral and sit 15 feet away from the screen you will fine normal Standard Definition (SD) TV a little crappy. Sort of 80's standard. Its still watchable, but not great. DVDs will be better, but again not great. A TV of this size sort of needs High Definition (HD) broadcasts, BlueRay, or in my case a fast internet so your streams and downloads can all be done in the HD formats. Its not really a problem for me since I hardly ever watch live SD TV. However, I do wonder if for the money I should have got the 40" and 6800 version with the faster processor, but I think its marginal. After all there is nothing like watching a HD film on a massive screen in your own lounge. Its why we bought it and saves us 20 every time we don't go to the cinema. Plus I'm sure within 5 years there will be a lot more HD broadcasts.

The only real negatives I can think about with the TV is the standard picture settings are poor, but another reviewer here gives optimal settings that can be easily adjusted to. Also the bloatware that comes installed, but actually its not too bad, certainty less then a lot of products. The other negative is the fact that some IP's and their routers don't like having non-PCs on a network, but that is something I need to fix on the BT/Router end, not the TV end. I'm not worried about it, I just need to set aside some time to Googlise the answer. Overall its a great set, just stick to 40" if SD TV is important to you.

[Edit] When I bought this set I completely ignored its 3D capabilities, was not interested. Now I have actually watched a couple of 3D blueray movies and I'm blown away, definitely at least equal to the cinema 3D if not better. From now on I get all my new movies in 3D version if possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb TV ..........., 12 Oct 2012
Samsung UE50ES6300 3D Full HD 1080p Smart 3D LED TV with Wi-Fi built-in and Freeview HD and 2 x glasses included (New for 2012)
Ok I don't usually review stuff but felt the need for this Samsung TV and to alay any fears from people reading some derogatory feedback!
Slow Smart TV - Simple if your broadband isn't up to the job it obviously won't be a pleasurable experience
Poor picture quality - check your aerial /sat dish if you've got a rust bucket on the side of your house don't bother purchasing
Poor Sound - The sound on this TV (Movie in sound settings) is first class I have a surround system which I use for movies but genuinely don't bother for standard TV the speakers are in the rear of what is an ultra slim bezel and literally bounces the sound of the walls behind it.
Sound issues with a optical cable - I have played through a PS3/DVD player and the TV using an optical splitter without any such problems
Clouding-again not on my set not on the main screen the corners or the edges as some have noted
Amazon - ordered on a Monday at 4.15 for next day delivery was in my front room at 9.30 the following morning all for the princely sum of 7.99!!! I have experienced Amazons return policy and it is first class other companies should take note

The TV itself is ultra slim I had been following the 46" screen for some time keeping an eye on reviewers and hoping for a price fall when I realised I could get the 50" at a price the other model was at some months earlier so at just above 1000 considering I bought a Panasonic 42" six years earlier for 2500 this is amazing value
On HD the picture is without doubt as good as anything I've seen ,watching The Great British Bake Off I swear I could of dipped my finger in Marys marshmallow (if I was that way inclined) OK on SD it depends on the original transmission some is as good as you may expect and some on a large screen isn't great but can't blame the TV for that I expected it.
On 3d some have said nothing sticks out at you like in the cinema well I watched Hugo and a scene where a guitar juts out of the screen was good enough for me I could of tuned the damn thing! And again I'm not sitting in a cinema with a screen the size of a double decker bus
Smart TV - BBC iPlayer is first class no buffering probs at all and ok the apps aren't up to much but then again I don't want to play games on it Hopefully C4 and C5 will be on soon.
Recording TV to a memory stick is simple again as long as you buy the correct one in the first place only real down side is you can't record and watch another channel but you do have the option of watching on demand TV and recording at the same time I have no doubt they will fit a dual connector in future .
All in all this is a fantastic purchase at this price and would recommend it to anyone.

NB accidentally sat on the remote the other night only to find you can pause live TV didn't know of this option when I purchased.Amazon I need 6 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as smart as it thinks it is, 10 Jan 2013
Overall this is a great TV in many respects (HD picture quality is excellent, USB playback of AVI/MKV files, SugarSync, competitor-beating range of smart apps, TV guide layout among them), and represents good value for money, but for me there are several, major, deal-breaking, issues with this Samsung TV:

- Smart Hub
- Wi-Fi Range
- PVR recording

1. SMART HUB - After 7 days of use, on Sunday 6 January 2013, the Smart Hub stopped working and deleted all the apps.

It transpires that this is a global issue affecting all Samsung Smart Hub TVs. Not that you'd know this from the lack of public information published online by Samsung. The latest News/Alert posted on Samsung's support page for the ES6300 model [...] titled 'Why is the BBC iPlayer app not working properly on my Samsung TV?' was posted in June 2012. No mention of the epic failure of their Smart Hub servers/software upgrade.

I learnt of the outage from CNET's forums [...] and when I called Samsung's UK Customer Services for more info they reluctantly admitted that there had been a problem but that it had been resolved.

5 days later some Smart Hub functionality has been restored, with a few of the apps returning, however, I'm unable to download or install new apps at the moment.

As DIGBY67 on the CNET forum aptly put it: South Korean technology with North Korean customer service.

2. Wi-Fi Range - One of the big advantages of this model over others was the built-in LAN adapter making wireless internet connection possible without a dongle.

Wi-Fi was easy to set-up and it connected to my router first time without a problem. However, when I attempted to wirelessly stream video content in BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and LOVEFiLM apps the result was constant buffering, which was consequently unwatchable.

From info in my router's control panel I discovered that while my other wireless devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 3) were connected at 65 Mbps, the TV was connected at only 6 Mbps.

Samsung support has subsequently advised me that the TV must be no more than 3 - 5 metres from the router for streaming video content over Wi-Fi to work properly, which for me rather defeats the purpose of a wireless connection. If the router has to be in the same room as the TV, I may as well connect it via Ethernet cable at 100 Mbps.

To my mind there's something very wrong when the small LAN adapters in my smartphone and tablet can connect wirelessly and stream HD video content in iPlayer without buffering once when exactly the same distance away from the router, but my new Smart TV, with its presumably much bigger LAN adapter, is unable to.

3. Recording to External Hard Drive - Since purchasing the TV I've learnt that any programmes recorded to an external hard drive from Samsung TVs will only play back on the TV that recorded them due to implementation of DRM by Samsung. So any recorded content will be rendered unplayable if/when you change your TV. I also understand that it's not possible to archive recordings to other media for the same reasons.

Other, more minor, niggles include:

- The worst technology e-manual I've ever encountered (very poor English, poor layout and formatting (797 pages!)

- An iPhone/iPad TV remote app that doesn't feature a keyboard, thus forcing you to go through the tortuous process of using the onscreen keyboard to enter usernames and passwords etc or else buy the overpriced Samsung keyboard.

With hindsight I might have been better advised to buy a basic LED TV for a couple of hundred pounds less than this TV cost and invest the remaining balance on a smart blu-ray player or YouView box.

ARRAY(0xa0bd16c0)