4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value
I spent a while looking at different LED TV's, I was going to purchase the UE40D5520 then I saw this new 2012 UE40ES5500 next to it (and only £50 more). It looks like it was in a different class, it is very slim and the TV is basically all screen, the black and glass bezel around the screen is very thin and makes the TV look more expensive than it actually is...
Published on 8 May 2012 by Mr. Daniel F. F. Kershaw

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
After trawling through pages and pages of reviews, subscribing to which magazine and finally settling on the Samsung UE40ES5500, I was excited to see the results when it arrived.

Set up was extremely easy and the smart capabilities are very good. The tv itself looks fantastic- very slim and with a nice thin glass frame.

The picture on HD channels is...
Published 22 months ago by Shep

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value, 8 May 2012

The set up of the TV was very simple and it was up and running in no time. However the TV did not have the latest firmware even though it was only released a few weeks ago? I updated it from 001011 to 001012.2 which is the latest firmware at this time of review. The TV also spent about 5-10 min downloading and updating to the latest version of the Smart Hub.

Once it finished all the updates, wow, I was completely blown away with the quality of the picture! The clarity, colour and detail are amazing. Although I can only compare to my old Samsung Series 5 1080p LCD TV.

I also wanted a TV with low power consumption and this defiantly ticks the box in that department. With everything on full blast the TV only uses 55 watts. With the TV set to medium Eco mode it only uses 24 watts (even on medium Eco mode the brightness and quality of the picture is 10 times better than my 4 year old series 5 LCD TV).

I have the TV set up to a 5.1 surround system so I can't really comment on the sound quality although it did sound a little tinny but that was probably because I'm used to 5.1.

I have connected the TV to the Internet via Comtrend Power Adaptors as this is more reliable and faster than Wifi, This model also has a web browser and in actual fact I was pleasantly suppressed on how fast and easy it was to use. I downloaded the Samsung Smart View and Remote for my Android phone (available for iPhone as well) and browsing on the TV with my phone is as quick as my laptop/PC, although using the TV remote is awful and slow to navigate.

I browsed the Samsung Apps and was very disappointed, there was nowhere near the amount off apps available as the Samsung website states, about half in actual fact included no BBC iPlayer? I emailed Samsung about this and they basically said they are working on this and all the apps including BBC iPlayer will be available via an update in the near future however they could not tell me date (I think this effects all 2012 sets).This is a shame as I would have given the TV 5 stars but because of the above I can only give it 4 stars. However you can still access BBC iPlayer via the web browser on the TV and this works a treat but it would be easier if the app was available.

To summarise I would defiantly recommend this TV (if you can wait for the app update).

UPDATE - 23/05/12

Today Samsung released a new firmware 1017.1 for this TV, there are a few more apps but still no BBC iPlayer?

UPDATE - 17/06/12

Samsung releas firmware 1021.0 on 4th June, installed but must be some bug fixes as I can't tell the difference. Also BBC iPlayer was added on 13th June.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 1 Feb. 2013
I bought this TV early last month (Jan 2013) and am delighted with it. The picture quality is superb once adjusted from the default factory settings -- more on that in a moment. The sound levels likewise are very good and in no need of enhancing with a soundbar or the like. The built in Freeview HD menu system is excellent and the Smart functions work very well too.

The Smart functions include the usual (numerous) widgets -- which work fine -- and also a fully-fledged, if basic, web browser that allows full web surfing (not some cut-down experience of the web but the real thing, just as on a PC). As others have remarked, the web browser is hampered by a painfully slow method of entering search commands and web addresses, but this is easily fixed by buying a Logitech K400r bluetooth keyboard. This keyboard allows you to sit on the sofa and rapidly type searches or web addresses into the browser. It also incorporates a touchpad that moves the on-screen cursor with ease and accuracy. When fitting it, join together both parts of the USB dongle, insert the dongle into a USB port on the rear of the TV, switch on the keyboard and away you go. I realise it's an extra investment but I assure you it's well worth it.

As for picture quality, it is very impressive once adjusted away from the factory settings which were obviously done by a blind man. Another reviewer (Marcel) here on Amazon recommended the following settings and I am grateful to him as you will be too if you adopt them.

Press the Menu button and choose Picture Mode - Natural:

Colour Tone - Standard
Digital Noise Filter - Auto
MPEG Noise Filter - Auto
Film Mode - Auto 1

Picture Mode - Standard (re DVDs)
For DVDs use Standard setting modified as follows to give better shadow detail as DVDs can be really punchy.

* Backlight 16
* Contrast 90
* Brightness 45
* Sharpness 55
* Colour 30
* Tint (G/R) G45/R55

These settings won't be ideal across all programmes on all channels on all occasions, but it will be a good start.

As for external inputs, I've connected the TV to my Sony BluRay DVD player and the two work flawlessly together.

I also recommend connecting the TV to the web via its ethernet port rather than using a Wi-Fi dongle as the former is more reliable. I use a couple of TP-Link Powerline adaptors. They carry data from the ethernet port on my Router over the house's power cables to the TV. Just plug one into a power socket adjacent to your router, join them with an ethernet cable and similarly plug another into a power socket near your TV and connect it to the TV via a second ethernet cable.

That's it. All that I need add now is to recommend that you update the firmware to the latest version (Menu/System/Setup) when first setting the TV up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and use, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Samsung UE32ES5500 32-inch 1080P Full HD Smart LED TV with Freeview (Electronics)
I found this TV a doddle to set up, not just the channels but the wifi (with dongle) and hardwired LAN too.
I bought one at the weekend and am so impressed with it, I've just bought another for the bedroom.
Freeview HD channels are excellent and the SD channels are generally pretty good.
The only complaint I have is the BBC iPlayer app for the 2012 Samsung TV range hasn't been released yet, although it is due sometime in June.
Samsung's allshare streaming system is also simple to set-up. You simply install the software on a pc or laptop and you're away. All downloaded music, movies and tv series can be watched on the TV wirelessly just by pressing a couple of buttons on the remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart TV - smart purchase., 28 Dec. 2012
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This 32 inch Samsung model looks great before it's even powered up. The black border around the screen is little over a centimetre long with a few millimetres of transparent plastic. Compared to the Series 4 Samsung it looks so much smaller - they have a good inch or so of black plastic all around the TV. Side by side this is by far the more handsome of the two, because of the smaller border the screen *seems* so much bigger!

As with most TVs under a certain size, you have to attach the base yourself, this is done easily. The base is screwed onto a plastic connector which then screws onto the back of the TV - it is then free standing and only takes a couple of minutes. Once switched on for the first time you run through the usual set up routine and it will scan for channels. Normally when I buy a TV I find myself modifying a plethora of settings to get the audio and picture how I want it - but the defaults were perfectly fine here. This is my first LED screen and it looks incredibly vibrant - high def content looks gorgeous and the PS3 looks amazing on it. The menus look great too, that might sound odd but I've noticed that some TV menus looks ugly and fairly low-def. Perhaps more importantly, the menus are easy to navigate through and they make sense. I was impressed by the sound quality - those used to fancy surround sound set-ups will no doubt be disappointed by the inbuilt speakers - but they are far more effective than the Series 4 Samsung at both low and high volumes, and speech seems much clearer too.

This is a Smart TV and although I don't have a Wi-Fi dongle for the TV (there seems little need when the PS3 plugged into has roughly the same apps and is Wi-Fi enabled by default) but I did plug a network cable in to see what the apps looked like. I was impressed, the BBC iPlayer App works great (the HD stream was excellent) and there's also ITV Player too. I suspect that these two apps along with LOVEFiLM and Netflix will be the most popular, though there are other content services available too. There are Twitter and Facebook apps which do actually look good on a TV screen, but they are a little impractical unless you want to use a keyboard as a remote control isn't the best way to tap out an epic status update!

The remote itself isn't some fat monster, it's quite svelte and the plastic has been given a textured finish to make it look like brushed metal. I love the dedicated HD button to quickly take you to anything plugged in via HDMI (previous Samsungs were a bit of a 'mare when having to click Source several times). Because of the thin border around the screen there are no buttons, this is a relief for me as the touch sensitive buttons on the old Samsung were so hard to see that I'd inevitably end up pressing standby or changing the channel when all I wanted to do was knock the volume down a tad! Never fear if you can't find the remote, Samsung have provided a nipple! The directional button on the back is nicely hidden but easy to locate. Simply press up or down to change channels, or left and right to alter volume. Press it in to bring up the menu and then you can navigate the menu with ease - this is brilliant if you want to adjust the TV in the dark!

In a nutshell: A fantastic TV! The two things it doesn't have are 3D - which I don't require, and a swivel stand - which would have been nice, but as there is no excess of plastic surrounding the screen the whole thing isn't bulky at all and I just turn the unit in the direction I want it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, just be careful with the automatic firmware update, 12 July 2012
I purchased this TV after comparing various similar models and have now had it for just under two weeks and am generally very impressed and happy with my final choice.

Out the box the TV setup was straight forward and completed within 10 minutes automatically setting up all the digital channels. As part of the setup the TV can check via an internet link for the most up to date version of the firmware. This reported to work successfully and reported I was running the most current version. This was not correct and led to various problems which have been reported in other reviews below.

The firmware version the TV was shipped with was 1012.1, the most current at the time of this review is 1023.2. If you purchase this TV I suggest you download the firmware from the Samsung website using a computer and then follow the instructions for updating the firmware via the USB interface. I did this and now have none of the problems reported with applications like BBC iPlayer not working.

Several digital channels that my previous freeview box had difficulties playing due to the strength of the signal work fine on this TV.

If you plan on wall mounting the TV be careful with the size of the mounting bracket you use. Most 40" and upwards TV brackets are either wider or taller than this TV, I ended up using a bracket that supported TVs up to 37" but it fits the set well and with only a 15kg weight the bracket can support it with ease.

I gave this review 4 stars, the only reason it didn't get 5 stars was the issue with the firmware requiring manual updating.

4.0 out of 5 stars After much effort, now working fine, 7 July 2012
Mr. R. J. Wyndham (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I wanted a thin 32in TV that would look great flat against a wall, with a good quality HD Freeview picture, and, ideally iPlayer. The Samsung model with 3D fitted the bill, but I didn't want the cost or the facility of 3D. So when this model came out and seemed to be pretty much the same, but without 3D - it seemed to be the answer. (In fact this model has the Smart Hub, and is internet ready, but you need a wi-fi dongle, or connect via ethernet cable to actually get on-line)

I am very pleased with the very neat and elegant look of the TV, and the picture is excellent on both SD and HD. The sound is fine for me, and see no need to get extra speakers. (But I am not a keen movie watcher)

It is very thin, but the aerial cable comes out backwards, not to the side. So I had to get a new aerial cable with 90 degree angled ends, so that I could mount it successfully on my chosen very thin wall bracket. The USB and HDMI connections come out sideways, so no problem. So mounted on the wall it gives the look that I wanted - like a framed picture.

Set up was easy - for the TV side. I got connected to the internet OK, first via ethernet cable, then I decided to get a wi-fi dongle.

My problems started with trying to find iPlayer. I won't bore you with the details, but basically Samsung released this TV too early. Now after a firmware update (downloaded from their support web site, unzipped and loaded onto the TV via USB memory stick) plus various s/w updates, re-setting etc. I have a fully working TV with iPlayer! And it is very convenient. Note that when you start to play something in iPlayer, you get a message at the top telling you to choose another programme! Ignore that, and it does start playing after a few seconds. Much better than accessing on a laptop and connecting via cables to a TV!

Using YouTube and accessing the web via the browser is good - but very fiddly via their text inputting screen. I got the (free) app for my iPhone that simulates the remote control, and produces a keyboard to input text when required. Brilliant and great to use! Unfortunately the keyboard didn't seem to come up every time when it should. Plus, now, after the various upgrades to the TV, it doesn't seem to work at all. I will delete the app on the phone, and download this again, to see if this clears the problem. If this works then this TV with iPhone is a great combination, and I will be delighted despite the early grief with the set.

The Samsung support have been polite and helpful. So this set has caused me many irritations, and you need to be prepared to faff around with periodic firmware and software updates. But now it is nearly all working fine, I appreciate its classy looks, excellent reception and the promise of internet TV has finally come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch TV, 21 Jun. 2012
I bought the 40 Inch model from John Lewis, it was so good I was kicking myself for not getting the 46 inch model, so I contacted John Lewis and they agreed to exchange it for the 46 inch model.
The larger screen with the narrow bezel frame makes the picture like a window into another dimension, the HD picture quality is absolutley amazing, SD quality is pretty good for a LED TV, the sound is quite good for such a slim TV.
After a long wait for Samsung 2012 Models, BBC IPlayer is now available for download from Samsung Apps, the Lovefilm App should be available soon.
Give the Screen a few days ( 7 or 8 Days ) to lose it's newness and after the inital out of the box tweaking the picture will improve naturally, I'm constantly gawping in amazement at the HD channels, the images are stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars The biggest Internet Browsing Experience Ever, 19 Aug. 2012
Apart from the superlatives that I can think of to describe the pure picture quality that I am getting from this 46" LED TV whether with my upscaled DVD movies via the Samsung BD5300 player or via HD Cable, I have discovered today that this unit actually supports plug and play with my Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo. I am using the K520 model and it is recognised by the Smart TV immediately without further ado. I am now typing this using the default Samsung Smart App Browser and my keyboard. Not only do I have the biggest LED TV in my life, I am now surfing the web with the biggest display screen ever. Life will never be the same!! Just want to share and make sure that all of you don't miss out on this incredible feature of your smart TV. Enjoy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars UE32ES5500 Review, 30 Jun. 2012
Chose this TV because it's 32inches and full 1080 HD with built-in Freeview HD. I also bought the Samsung WIS12AABGNX WiFi dongle to save having a network cable around the room. Set up was easy. Made all the connections (Blu Ray player and a Sky HD box and the dongle) and then the power lead and switched on via the remote control. The set takes you easily through the sections (including choosing my wireless network) and it was up and running!

Navigating the keyboard for the smart hub is a bit fiddly so I had bought a Samsung VG-KBD1000 wireless keyboard, thinking it would be a lot easier. If I had read the end of the keyboard box I would have seen that it is NOT compatible with 5 series TVs!!!! Fortunately I had kept the receipt. So I plan to use a wired USB keyboard and mouse instead. That may mean that I have to give up the USB dongle and use a network cable instead as there are only 2 USB ports.

Overall though, the picture quality is excellent and the sound is far better than our old 3 series TV. The interesting thing is that as the screen comes much closer to the edge of the set than our old 26 inch set, the actual set is only a couple of inches wider yet the screen is 6 inches wider, diagonally.

Bottom line..... a great TV with loads of features (including BBC I player via the smart hub)so I can really recommend it. Richard A. 30/06/12

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy With This Purchase, 15 Sept. 2012
I bought this TV to serve an upstairs room which is used as an office/chill-out space. From opening the box to having the unit fully updated and online, took less than 15mins. For me it was practical and easy to run an Ethernet cable into the back of the TV, and finding the updating facility was straight forward via the intuitive menu system.
It is worth mentioning the unit provides you with 3 alternatives for updating it's firmware, via direct connection to the internet (LAN or USB), via PC download + USB stick, and also via a (TV) channel. If you get stuck I suggest you call Samsung Customer Service, and ask them to talk you through the latter.

At the time of setting up this TV, both iPlayer and YouTube worked fine. My mini keyboard and mouse also worked fine, other than where you might expect them to in some of the Apps. This however is down to the Apps in my experience, as for example with the YouTube App. It will not allow you to put a cursor in the search box - in which case you cannot use the keyboard to type there. So come on YouTube, and others, work faster to bring these up to par with your Apps for other devices.
If you check the Tools menu on the Smart Hub home screen you will find an option to check for updates to Apps, which you may want to do on a regular basis.

If you wish to take advantage of the record function, you will have to purchase a USB 2.0 flash drive of a specific standard. Namely one with a read speed of 20MB/s and a write speed of 34MB/s, available from Kingston, Data Traveller, Sandisk, and others. USB 3.0 is NOT compatible (edit: so far as speed goes - some may work at USB 2.0 speeds).
Alternatively, if you intend using an external Hard Drive for the purpose you will need one of 5400rpm.

All-in-all I've found this model to be a great value TV. Looks good, plays smart, and really does add another dimension to our home entertainment. Who knew watching YouTube with the children could be such great fun! Realistically, Samsung's Smart TVs are ahead of their game compared to many, and I really hope they push hard to stay out front.