5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Samsung
Please don't let the bad reviews of this concerning BBCi player put you off. BBCi player is now available and is far better quality than that available on my pc.

Published on 17 July 2012 by J. Bowles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Smart TV
Just to be clear, the TV side of this model is excellent with pin sharp clarity and a nice bright display. The built in Freeview HD tunes in easily and reception on all the stations I have tried is excellent. So far so good.

Published on 2 July 2012 by Dr Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Samsung, 17 July 2012

The picture quality is superb once adjusted from the factory settings which I believe you should always do. I don't own a blueray player yet but dvds are crisp with no motion judder and the image quality is breathtaking. Digital channels are so realistic. the whole family was in awe of the image to the extent that we didn't realise we were watching a documentary on dentures. I can't really comment on the sound as I have sound routed through my hifi. There are loads of apple like apps that you can play with and more scheduled; including an aquarium :D

I decided not to use wireless as I have aa homeplug system already in use and this worked out cheaper than buying a dongle (it's not wireless out of the box. The other thing I really noticed apart from how smart it looks is that it's really light.... about 13kgs so using existing tv furniture shouldn't be a problem.

Overall I am really impressed; another great Samsung product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a dream, 30 July 2012
Maggie (Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UE32EH5300 Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi functionality (Old model) (Electronics)
Only took me an hour to unpack, connect and set up. Having read reviews and comments on here about WiFi and BBC iPlayer, I connected via an ethernet cable (as TV is next to my route & I didn't want to pay £40 for Samsung WiFi dongle). I also downloaded the update to get BBC iPlayer to work. I've even managed to connect a USB keyboard so that when I'm browsing the web or YouTube etc, I can type using the keyboard rather than navigating the on-screen keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 12 Mar. 2013
TV arrived today as a replacement for a 7 year-old Samsung LCD that succumbed to the rigours of everyday life with young children. Initially I was surprised at how small the set was and my first thought was I could have had the 40" version. It was also very light so I had no concerns about the old TV table supporting the weight.

The TV was very easy to assemble, the stand only had 8 screws and it was simple and logical to put together. All my cables were in place from my previous tv, so including unpacking I think it took 20 minutes to wire it all in. The initial start up was very straight-forward and it only took about 5 minutes for it to tune itself.

The smart apps, required a little time for them to recognise they needed updates and the actual updating took the longest part of the setup, but again it was straightforward. I was a little surprised it didn't ask me which apps to install seeing as there is limited space but I am sure I can delete what I don't use. (I haven't tried this yet).

USB playback was fine except I have a lot of M4V files which weren't recognised. This may be due to the container I used for encoding. I can solve this issue myself and I don't have a great wealth of knowledge in this area.

Picture quality is very good, although I have moved from a 1080i to a 1080p. I first noticed that the picture from my xbox was much more crisp and colourful. The picture from my sky box was the same and this is when I discovered that my Sky box is not full HD only 1080i. So no change there.

I have several online film accounts, lovefilm being a favourite of my kids for Despicable Me and using the app was great, hassle free and the picture quality was great. Nice rich colours and good definition, as you would expect from HD.

Sound quality was a marked improvement on my last tv. In the past I was an audiophile, only going for the best speakers, cables and AV receivers, but now I have joined the ranks of normal people and go with, can I hear it? and the answer is yes, and if I can't then the volume button affords me the luxury of turning it up. Just remember it is a tv not a cinema sound system. You can always add your own equipment if you want something meatier.

Now, my only gripe, the stand! It has a slight upwards angle to it and it is not adjustable. This has the effect of pulling the bottom of the screen towards you more than the top. So if you are sitting close to the tv it gives everything a slightly strange aspect. Close means 2 meters or less. You don't notice it at all when you are far away, but if you are sitting on the floor with young children this effect is exaggerated. I can live with it and in a worst case scenario I can stick a book or something under the back of the stand to offset the tilt. This is the reason for 4 stars and not 5.

All in all a great tv for the price, and unlike the cheaper models (according to their reviews) has full customisation for picture settings and not just the presets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so Smart TV, 2 July 2012

It's when you come to explore the Smart TV functions that you may be disappointed. I connected the TV to my home Ethernet network by cable. Initially, BBC I-Player didn't work, but after downloading an update (automatic) this started to function and now works well. A web browser gives access to the Internet but text entries can only be made using an on screen keyboard, selecting each individual letter using the arrow keys and pressing OK on the TV remote control. This is painfully slow and you can forget any notion of writing or replying to emails via the TV. Updating your Facebook page or using Twitter is near impossible.

To remedy this, I enquired of Samsung Customer Service Centre whether I could buy a Wireless Keyboard to go with my model and was told unequivocally by e-mail that the VG-KBD1000 keyboard would work with my TV. Unfortunately, this turns out to be untrue. The VG-KBD1000 does not work with the UE40EH5300 despite the keyboard being advertised as 'an accessory for Smart TV'. This should mean that the keyboard will work with any Smart TV.. and I went to the trouble of asking Samsung first!

Many of the remaining Smart features involve signing up with a monthly fee, for example for Netflix or Lovefilm. Samsung Family Story seems to be a Facebook-like application, but I don't really understand how anyone could use it effectively without a keyboard. You Tube on TV seems worthwhile though.

I have managed to link my TV to the Shared Folder on my main computer and to the Shared Folder on my netbook via the Wi-Fi Dongle (which does work). This lets you access and play shared media. Viewing photos and running a slide show works nicely.

It is frustrating that I can see the potential of some of the Smart functions/applications but can't really use or explore them properly because text entry is so slow.

In my latest email from Samsung it was suggested that a third party wired keyboard might work. From searching on the Internet, I think this is almost certainly a non-starter. To get a keyboard to work through a USB connection requires a software driver and there is no way of installing this on the TV.

If I had known all of this, I might have shelled out for a model with a higher spec including bluetooth and then I would have been a happy bunny. However, I didn't and I'm not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Freeview HD Channels Don't Work, 20 May 2013
So I have to admit, this is a decent TV. It's got a good picture, and you can get smart TV features if you buy the additional dongle.

But the product description clearly says that you should be able to get Freeview HD channels (without having to buy a Freeview HD box). Many of the negative descriptions on here seemed to be the result of Amazon getting the TVs from Germany -- and the German models weren't quite working properly here in the UK.

So I thought I would buy this TV from another company, where I was fairly confident it would be a normal British model. Unfortunately, I still have an issue. I live in a strong TV signal area. I also have an LG TV LG 42LM620T 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses(see my other reviews), and it picks up the Freeview HD channels just fine.

This Samsung TV does NOT pick up the Freeview HD channels. I've done a software update, re-tuned the channels about six times, but nothing works. The Guide feature shows all the channels receiving a strong signal, but it's always patchy and often just black.

My other criticism for this TV is that it makes an annoying beeping sound whenever you flip channels or adjust the volume. This is a minor point, but I don't know why the TV needs to beep every time I change channels or adjust the volume.

Overall, if you care nothing about Freeview HD, then do consider this TV. I haven't tried all the Smart TV features, but the BBC iPlayer does work. If HD TV is important to you, you might want to consider another product.

==UPDATE==
I called Samsung who walked me through a barrage of tests. I live in a strong signal area of 97 to 100% signal strength. We reset the TV several times, but the channels still didn't come through. I exchanged this TV for another one, and the SAME PROBLEM occurred. I assumed the channel issues on Amazon were due to the TVs being shipped in from Germany. There is just a flaw in these TVs whereby they have a harder time picking up HD channels. If that means nothing to you, then give this TV a shot. But I have to say that I much prefer LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV once updated fully., 29 Dec. 2012
S. IAnson (UK) - See all my reviews
My 1st ever Amazon review ! i write this in the hope it may help others, this is a great TV but when i 1st set it up it the smart TV part of it kept updating/downloading and BBC iplayer and the web browser kept failing and reporting that the TV wasnt connected to the internet, then the internet trouble shooter would say it is !

Anyway i took the plunge and downloaded the updated software direct from the Samsung site and installed it to the TV using a USB memory stick (you can do this via the TV's internet connection also), that worked a treat and all functions including BBC iplayer now work without a problem.

So if you buy one of these be prepared to have to update it, but other than that its great.

Steve.

5.0 out of 5 stars SAMSUNG UE40EH5300, 28 Aug. 2012
Great value Smart TV. It's a shame that Samsung's support is rubbish. If you need to purchase a wireless keyboard the only one I found that works perfectly with the Samsung UE40EH5300 is the Logitech K400. The TV is not bluetooth and Samsung don't make a compatible keyboard and the support at Samsung is dire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Samsung TV, 15 Dec. 2012
This is the most amazing TV that I have ever owned! I know that there have been a few reviewers who seem not to like this TV for one reason or another.
However I tend to trust my first instincts rather than other peoples experiences regarding things like this, I owned a Samsung 40 inch LCD TV for 5 years before upgrading to this smart TV model and after I had set it up to my specific requirement I never had one single problem with it!
Likewise the Samsung UE40EH5300 does require some setting up when you receive it, although it will work straight out of the box if you leave it on the basic factory settings you probably will not like either the picture quality or the sound!
I spent just over an hour adjusting both picture and sound on my new UE40EH5300 it's well worth the effort, like I said this is the best TV I have ever owned and I can surf the net with it and talk to friends and family worldwide using Skype.
What more could you need in a TV! Oh and one other thing it uses less power than a 60 watt light bulb.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Wi-Fi as advertised!, 3 Jun. 2012
It is a good product, picture is sharp and sound is good.
The smart Hub is excellent, however with a wireless keyboard and mouse it would be even better.
I would have scored this product 5 stars if it wasn't for the fact the Wi-Fi built in is a big lie. I still managed to get around this problem by connecting the TV to the internet through LAN cable.

This product is very good for the price offered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UE40EH5300, 12 July 2012
After so many picky reviews I thought I would put my view over, if you are thinking of buying this you will not be disappointed.

The TV arrived the day after ordering.
Simple minimal packaging.
Unpacked, 2 minutes and 8 screws to fit the stand, power cable, Ethernet lead connected to my wireless broadband bridge, switched it on.
Simple installation menu, found the internet, updated, rebooted, HD and freeview channels all loaded seamlessly.

In 10 minutes was watching BBC iPlayer and downloading apps.

The TV is good all round sound and vision,

I read all of the information and downloaded the manual from the Samsung web site prior to my purchase. It can be found here [...]

I'm looking forward to adding a Samsung home theatre next.