on 12 August 2012
I bought this camera for my husband's birthday. I had a tight budget but didn't want to compromise on the quality or performance. He is definitely not disappointed and neither am I. It is a sturdy, attractive camera and so far I am so pleased I chose this. I did look at a number of others but this one kept pulling me back. Highly recommended. Why pay silly prices for something else when this does the job at such a great price?!
on 27 May 2012
I bought this yesterday and can't really fault it for the price - the size was its main appeal, I wanted something that would fit in my pocket, but the picture quality is fantastic and its a doddle to set up and use - the only minor issue I had was with the slightly pedestrian lag time at first but once you get used to how quickly it responds that really isn't a problem. In summary: great value; extremely compact and light weight; and bright, sharp picture quality. What more could you want?
66 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2012
Although i didn't purchase this from Amazon i thought i would like to tell everyone what a great camera this is. Its the perfect size for holding, takes a clear picture and is easy to set up and use.
on 4 September 2012
OK folks, here is the verdict:

Pro's:
1) Very good picture quality given its class
2) Easy menu navigation again, for its size and class
3) Fantastic panoramic handling mode (pics: see under 8.)
4) Very light and compact
5) Long battery life
Con's:
6) Looks like it needs to be taken care of (kind of fragile feeling)
7) Little-bit slow in focusing, but again, that's a feel in 99% of such cameras (had MANY of those)!
8) Panoramic mode is blurry in details when analyzed at 100% of its picture size.
9) MicroSD memory only (sucks for us who have SD's in abundance)

Final Verdict:
I don't think that there is a better value-for-money for compact cameras out there!
Great second camera or even the only camera for a holiday and every day quick-snaps.
Definite "Buy"!

ps. I am dead curious to find out how Lumix FS18 may enhance a user experience and "the ability to quickly change the settings to take different photos with different effects" as that guy said and gave 3 stars to this one?! It's "quite disappointing" that this little camera does not have a useless effects and it does not make a lunch!
on 1 December 2012
Great little camera, does everything well, only problem at all was the video out format comes in the American format of NTSC as standard, but a quick flick through the menu sorted that, remember people America-NTSC...rest of the world PAL
on 11 July 2012
Just received samsung st66. Is really easy to use. wideangle and telephoto easily adjusted using dial on shutter button. Have taken a couple of snaps and loaded them to pc just using drag and drop. Dead easy. Picture quality is excellent. Tried a simple movie indoors - great sound and picture. I bought a memory card with it which is necessary but only cost 3 quid. Camera lovely and small to fit in a pocket. A great purchase.

Update

After using the camera for taking snaps on holiday, when downloaded and blown up i found that the image quality was not very good. Very little detail...upon researching this on the net i found that the expert reviews agreed with this...the lens on it is not very good. I did a few comparison shots with a older Nikon point and shoot camera and found that the image quality was a great deal better.

Whilist i love the size and easy of use and the looks of the Samsung in the end it is no good to me as my snaps or memories are now a bit fuzzy when viewed on a bigger screen...I am having a new, probably dearer camera for Xmas....
on 3 July 2012
Samsung ST66 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

This is the first review I've ever posted for a product and it's also the first camera I've ever bought having previously relied on camera phones for taking pictures. Please forgive me for my basic knowledge of photography and technical terms etc. but everyone has to start somewhere right.

The camera was dispatched yesterday and scheduled to arrive in four days from dispatch-it arrived the today. So three days early. This is a big plus!

The camera itself is very small-looking at the size of the lens/zoom I thought it would be about a third bigger than it actually is-the only thing I can give as a close match is I'd say it is slightly smaller than an audio cassette box. The reason for never really being too keen on having a camera phone and a camera is I don't like carrying too much stuff in my pockets-fortunately the small size of the camera means it won't be overly obtrusive and allows me to carry something which can take decent photos so that I can use it for work recording photos from building sites for legal records and to use taking photos at my friends wedding in a month.

I've only had the camera today and the photos I've taken so far have been good quality-ideal for my purpose of taking photos of mainly static subjects.

The questions that I tried to find out about prior to buying this camera (and hopefully useful to somebody looking to buy this camera also) is it uses a Micro SD / Micro SD HC memory card if you are looking to buy additional memory. And I have an 8gb Micro SD HC card in the camera now and when set to 16 mega pixels setting (assume highest setting for picture quality) the camera screen shows that it can take/store 1630 photos. The camera doesn't come with a memory card and can store 14 photos without any memory card.

Overall really pleased with the camera, its price and size is great, simple to use, can store tons of photos and quality seems to be very good thus far. I will be interested to see how it copes when I take it mountain biking with some more dynamic/moving subjects. And the video function will be interesting too.
on 24 August 2013
This camera is easy to use, good to hold despite the diminutive size, and if you use the USB to transfer your pics it will also charge too. We fired off hundreds of shots without needing to charge.

The casing is sturdy enough, the zoom is decent, the screen is nice and bright. 720 HD Video is nice too. It will take better pics than almost any phone cam and has a surprisingly wide Aperture lens (f/2.5 at widest)

HOWEVER! Image quality is extremely mediocre. There are too many megapixels for the small sensor and it seems that Samsung employ aggressive compression which results in smeared, noisy pictures with loss of detail. Focus is slow and the picture taking experience can feel frustrating and laggy.

For general day to day snaps, taking photos for ebay listings, capturing non-critical images, it's not a bad camera and as mentioned definitely better than most phone cams. But for more important photos such as family photos, or low light, I would say invest in something better such as a camera with a CMOS sensor.

I feel bad criticizing such a neat, small and cheap camera, but there are definitely far better models around - even my Fuji Finepix & Casio P&S camera from several years ago produced superior images. For that reason I cannot recommend this model to anyone.
on 22 September 2012
This is a neat wee thing. I bought this to replace a Samsung ES15 which punched way above its weight but had got dust on the sensor. This guy is metal, smaller, but has a slightly bigger zoom range. It also has a grip on the right hand side which makes it much easier to hold than those that don't. It takes a lithium battery (buy a Duracell spare for a tenner), and a SanDisk 8 or 16GB microSDHC card (and a spare). Casewise the LowePro Apex 20AW fits well and can take that spare battery and card too.

It's easy to knock the memory card out when changing the battery. So to prevent yourself having kittens and thinking you've lost all your holiday photos be careful with that. Been there.

It also occasionally jumps numbers not sure why yet. It might be because I delete a pic as I go from time to time, or endlessly changing modes might do it too. Anyway still to suss that.

So, to performance, based on a week's holiday...

Pictures are not bad at all. Some ropey ones but they were taken in a gale and some excellent ones. There is slight purple fringing at times, lens softer towards the edges etc, all of which I guess is normal at this price point (which at £65 is half what it is in Jessops!). The panorama mode works very well though you have to be careful not to become a panorama bore by taking lots of panoramas! The night pics on a tripod are also pretty good. So, so far, looking quite good.

Like the one it replaced I feel it'll be better in Program mode most of the time so you can manually change a few settings. Smart Auto works well but sometimes isn't so smart. Program is usually better.

If you could just buy something like this with a rip roaring lens in it it would sell by the shed load. Canon are you paying attention? Try making an S95 etc with a grip on it and lose the obsession with pop-up flashes.

But for £65? Very good.

6 months on... still four stars. Pictures can be a little fuzzy at times (no this is not shaking the camera...) but mostly they're pretty good and from time to time it can kick out a cracker. The panorama mode is great fun. And I see its even cheaper now too.

10 months on. Bumped up to 5 stars. Have come second in a landscape photography competition with it and discovered you can sort of make it go Manual by switching it into Night Mode and then playing with LT Shutter and Aperture.
on 17 March 2013
Arrived very promptly. All working fine. Quick start guide in the pack but full instructions are on line, which I read (skimmed) before ordering. Needs a memory card which is not included, if you want to store more than a few pictures, which was no surprise as I had read the reviews, and most cameras are like this now. The charger is USB and the plug unit takes a USB lead so will charge other USB based gadgets. Soft case not included, but custom battery is included.